Wednesday, August 17, 2011

WiP Wednesday #40

So far, this Wednesday is starting off a lot better than last Wednesday - for starters, my eyes are threatening to shut at any given moment, and I'm not in need of an IV-drip of caffeine to stay awake.  And I feel really good about a bunch of the projects I've got in the works at the moment, so it's a good day so far.  Let's hope it keeps going that way!


Finished:
Munchkin Snack Bag: One week from today, I will be a serious mess.  My little boy is starting pre-school next Wednesday, and while a part of me is super excited, another part of me wants to shed a tear.  He feels less and less like a baby every day, and more and more like a big boy.  Naturally, I felt compelled to make him a little something homemade from Mommy this past week for his big first day of school - a little snack bag, which he promptly shoved into his Captain America backpack.  He's so excited about school!



Still chugging away:
Warm/Cool QAL - Someday I will finish this quilt.  No, really, and I'm actually getting closer finally!  I finished trimming and ironing all 300-something HSTs this weekend, and now I can finally start laying them out and sewing them together!  I cannot wait to have this quilt top finished!!

Lots of trimmed warm/cool HSTs!

Ryan's Guy Quilt - I made a ton of progress on this one over the weekend, finishing cutting all of the solids, and starting to play with the layout of this one.  I've mixing up the fun character charms with some of the whimsical charms from the Japanese Charm Swap I did with Gen X Quilters a while back.

DSCN5562

For the Love of Solids swap - Another project where I've made some good progress - I'm focusing on my big project first, which is going to be a mini-quilt.  Since I didn't hear back from my partner, I'm going with my gut on the design.  I've just finished up the top, which is crazy small - these blocks are less than 5" finished, eek!  It's clear that my precision leaves a bit to be desired with this tiny piecing, so we'll see if I wind up chucking this and starting over.  I fully intend to use the other designs you saw me share last week in a few different ways coming soon!

FTLOS Mini

Farmer's Wife QAL - Moving right along here, I got two more blocks done with week, bringing me up to a total of 26 so far!

Blocks 1-26 - FWQAL

New secret quilt project - Almost done with the blocks, definitely on track to meet my Labor Day deadline for this one, yay!  Here's another sneaky peek...

Secret quilt in progress

New this week:
String block for String Me Along - Finally, a straight-up string block!  This should be a breeze to complete, but I'm trying to finish up a few other things before I work on this one.

DSCN5585

Embroidery pouch for Sewing Summit - In the spirit of the Travel Handmade series that my two bloggy buddies Megan and Jeni are hosting this week, I've started to think about some of the things I want to travel with for the Sewing Summit, and this is definitely one of them!  I've going to be making a large zipper pouch to carry my embroidery hoop, thread, and needles and such.  I'm hoping to find the time to make a few more handmade things for this trip, too, like a quilty nametag and a bag of some kind, but I'm going to try to take it one thing at a time.

A stack for me :)

I'm not calling it an actual item on my list, but...:
Found UFO - I happened to do some cleaning in my sewing room this weekend, and lo and behold I found a whole big stack of 9-patch squares that I completely forgot I had.  There's 52 of them, and they stem from the first real quilt project I undertook.  Not quite sure what I'll do with them just yet, but I will make use of them somehow...

UFO found!

WiP Wednesday #40 (wow - I can't believe we've done this 40 times now!!!) Recap:
Last week's total: 5
Finished this week: 1 (but it doesn't count because it was never actually on the list)
New this week: 2
This week's total: 7

So, that's how my projects are going at the moment, how about you?   Share your progress over at Freshly Pieced!

22 comments:

  1. You really did get busy with it this weekend, didn't you? I love the fabrics you've chosen for your pouch. Our oldest starts preschool after Labor Day and you've just made me realize I haven't gotten his backpack yet! Bad mom. But I do have plans to make him a cute pouch for his pencils, so I guess he'll have that anyway! Seriously can't wait to see your warm/cool quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful projects!
    I just love your For the Love of Solids project.
    Those ARE tiny, 5 inches?!?!!
    And all of your hard work on the Warm/Cool QAL will be worth it -- the fabrics are gorgeous -- can't wait to see it finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, love the munchkin snack bag. I feel your sadness too. My first is going to preschool in a week. thankfully it's only 2 days a week so I can be in denial about it!
    all your projects are coming along beautifully. I really love your Solids quilt. The colors are my favs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always so impressed with your WIP Wednesdays - I get bored easily and LOVE to have a lot of WIPs but I also love to keep working on them bit by bit. Your Wednesday posts are a real inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many projects on the go! Amazing!

    I love the colours in your 'secret' quilt.

    I wish you all the best as your baby goes to 'school' next week. Seems like only a couple of years ago mine had her first day at pre-school, now she has two babies of her own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love that solid border around the I Spy charms Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colors in your secret project and the fabrics in your String Along! All of your projects are so neat, good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've made great progress! Love your solid quilt project! My partner is very quiet too - better get started on SOMETHING! ;-?
    Good luck with sending your little guy to preschool.....snif, snif.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW wow, love all your projects, but am especially drawn to your purple and greens! Awesome, so is the guy guilt. Keep going. thanks for the visit and comments, both are appreciated. Hope your day continues as well as it began.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your secret project is killing me. I love the colors and the fabric chosen. What is it, what is it, what is it!?!?! I love the idea of your travel pouch. I'm jumping over to have a look at Travel Handmade right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of your projects are so beautiful! I love that you found a missing WIP, I do that all the time and my list gets bigger and bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh! you must have really been motivated! and great close up of your matched points~that can be a tough one on those tiny pieces! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH shoot! There is SO much to comment on!! First - I sang a little song about the warm/cool blocks. I don't know why. They just look so appealing to me! ;)

    I love the mini quilt! SO cute! I can't wait to see the string quilt and the secret project (which also made me want to sing. I must be in a musical kinda mood. lol!)

    Beautiful work my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, pillows! You can always use them to make pillows! Your FW blocks are coming along so great and I love your solids mini-quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! busy busy lady!! how fun to find a random UFO laying around, pillows sound like a great idea! Or a quilt to donate?? Loving that Solid Mini that design is awesome! Ryans quilt looks so great, love the arrangement of solids and a perfect use of those fun japanese prints!! Good luck sending the little guy to preschool, at least you know he will have a little hand made something to keep him company :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Should I tell you? I think I would want to know. In you Farmer's wife quilt along, the block in the middle. The orange HST is turned in the wrong direction. An easy fix now but not easy if noticed after it is in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just LOVE the green, blue and purple blocks. This is when paper piecing comes in handy, I must say. But such a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  18. less than 5" blocks??? Wow! I'm so impressed. I thought they were 12" blocks when I first saw the picture. All your projects are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Elisabeth! I love the way you make Ryan's guy quilt! Great choice of fabrics and how you have designed the colours!
    I admire all your works!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  20. How many days will Ryan go to preschool? I'm sure he'll love it, but that's a very "big boy" step!

    Great progress this week! I think you're making the smallest things possible!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is good to be awake when you write a blog post, isn't it? : ) FIVE INCH blocks on the solids mini-quilt? Yowsers, how big are those crosses then? I think it looks good - all your blocks do! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat