Monday, August 29, 2011

Me vs. The Weekender Bag: Round 2

Well, so far, I have to say that this Weekender bag isn't quite as scary as I thought it would be...though it did almost deliver a knock-out punch to me today.  Well, the bag didn't do it, exactly...it was my own mistake that did it.  I made a seriously colossal error, but as Megan was quick to point out, at least I hadn't added the piping on top just yet.  See, this bag is supposed to have two handles, one on each side of the bag.  For some reason, when I added my handles, I didn't pay close attention to the directions, and I added the handles wrong.  Instead of adding one entire handle to each front of the bag, I added one end of each handle to each front of the bag...like so...

DSCN5801

Fortunately, I caught this mistake before the piping went on top, and as I texted back and forth with Michelle over my serious error, I realized that I could fix it pretty quickly, so thankfully, I got back on track pretty quickly, and without much tears or cursing, believe it or not.

The biggest, most important thing about this pattern is to read the instructions and to read them carefully.  If I could have managed to do that, I would have avoided the biggest whoops I made.

The piping wound up being a lot easier than I anticipated, though I wish the pattern had better described where to stitch on the piping.  I definitely sewed a bit too close to the cording, but it's okay, I'll make it work - the thread matches pretty well, so for my first attempt at cording, I'm pretty happy.

DSCN5783

I've added the handles and the front pocket so far and the piping to one of the main panels, so it's starting to look a bit like a bag now.  I'm up to step 7, and I'll have to stay there for now, as step 8 calls for the special-order zipper I haven't yet received for this bag, so I'll have to set my bag aside for now.

DSCN5803

Really, my only feedback for those of you thinking about tackling this pattern is to be careful with cutting the interfacing - the measurements from the pattern are really to the inch - and to take each step slowly.  Don't jump ahead, and be patient.  Patience doesn't come naturally to me when I sew, so it's been a big-time challenge, and I'm impressed that I've only had to pull out my seam ripper once.

Stay tuned for round 3 when my zipper arrived, which will hopefully be by next weekend!

25 comments:

  1. Your bag is coming together nicely... and congrats on only having the seam ripper out once! Bags like this are really fiddly and take a LOT of patience.... but it will be worth it in the end!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! it's looking great! I don't understand what was wrong with the handles... but as I don't have the pattern and read instrucitons I suppose I wouldn't have a clue anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking great - I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking good! I'm so impressed with you and Michelle for giving it a go. Your bags are going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just decided this weekend that I should make this bag for the Sewing Summit, but I didn't know it took a special order zipper. Where did you order it from? Oh, what am I getting myself into?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so cool that you are posting this! I bought this project,but haven't tried it yet! Your posts will be very helpful for me!!!Thanks
    Hugs from Brasil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking good! my dad always joked that the difference between a good carpenter and a great carpenter was that a great one could fix his mistakes. I think it's safe to say this can be applied to sewers, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait for my order to get here!!!! I chose a different bag style, but I am really excited to have found the fabric at such a deal!!!!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to a modern quilt guild sewing day yesterday, and one of the ladies there was working on this bag. This is her second time through the pattern and she says it's incredibly confusing - she read some of the instructions out loud to us, and based on that, I can see how you made this mistake! This pattern seems like a bear! Yours is looking great so far - glad you could easily fix your oops.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are going to show that bag who is boss! i love the fabric you are using. it is very bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's looking great so far! It sounds like your hiccup was a minor one. It's so nice that you have friends working on it at the same time! I bet that support makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You recommend patience? Perhaps I should stay away from this bag then because that is something that I definitely lack!
    I've always loved this bag but have been itimidated by it. Yours is coming out so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's looking so cute!! Can't wait to see it all done! I ordered the pattern and will be giving it a shot too! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, your bag is looking great so far! Well done, I'd be totally put off by all the pattern pieces never mind that yards and yards of piping!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made the same mistake you did on a doll carry-along basket I made last week http://conniekeith.blogspot.com/
    but I didn't notice until I was done and looked at the picture on the pattern envelope. Glad you noticed early on so that you could fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay, we are going to get this! :) I hope your zipper comes soon--I'm to the step right after that and could use a little help again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay, we are going to get this! :) I hope your zipper comes soon--I'm to the step right after that and could use a little help again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh - your fabric choices are looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's looking great! Amy Butler patterns tend to be detailed don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look at you go! :) That bag is gonna be stylin!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that bag is going to be really nice! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is looking fabulous! I most definitely want to make this now. Thanks for the tips! I also am most definitely not patient when it comes to sewing, I want it done, and I want it done now!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love your fabric choices- and i love that you chose to tackle this bag. glad you got the handles worked out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat