Tuesday, August 30, 2011

FWQAL Week #9: The one where I play catch up

Well, I didn't get a chance to share my Farmer's Wife blocks last week, so I've got four blocks to share with you this week.  This week's blocks were relatively simple to piece, so there's not much to tell, other than that they look pretty cute, and they don't have seventeen layers of interfacing...unlike another wip I've got at the moment ;)  Please pardon the not-so-fabulous photos - we had a seriously gloomy, stormy day yesterday, so I didn't have a lot of light to work with, and combine that with my lack of camera skills, and this is what you wind up with.  Anyway, here's how all the blocks look together...

FW Blocks 1-30

Block #27: Darting Birds
This block looked intimidating, and while it was mildly time-consuming (then again, compared to the Economy block, they all are time-consuming), but it was relatively simple to piece.  I used a bright print from Amy Butler's Soul Blossoms collection paired with my favorite aqua print from Kate Spain's 12 Days of Christmas collection.

FW Block 27: Darting Birds

Block #28: Duck and Ducklings
In the book, this block is shown in red and black, and it looks quite striking.  Somehow, in aqua and purple, it's somewhat less striking, but I'm still happy with how it turned out.  I used an aqua print from Dena Designs' Kumari Garden collection and a purple print from Kate Spain's Central Park collection.

FW Block 28: Duck and Ducklings

Block #29: Economy
The simplicity of this block, after all of the tedious blocks before it was a welcome change.  This block was by far the easiest to put together, of all 30 I've made, and with the fewest number of pieces as well.  I wish I'd chosen fabrics with a bit more contrast, though.  I used a green and blue print from Dena Designs' Kumari Garden collection and a lime green print from Erin McMorris's Weekends collection.

FW Block 29: Economy

Block #30: End of Day
This block was another one that was relatively simple to put together, but I really love how it finished up, and I think that's due to some pretty nice fabric selection on my part.  I love the hot pink Mendocino print I used here, the pop of color and fun that it brings to this block.  I really like the way this block finishes up, and I could see myself making this block again, maybe in a bigger size than 6.5", but for another bee maybe.  I used three fabrics here, the dark blue from Robert Kaufman's Metro Living, the lighter blue from DS Quilts's Picnic & Fairgrounds collection, and the hot pink from Heather Ross's Mendocino collection.

DSCN5804

All in all, these last four blocks were pretty simple to put together - or maybe I'm finally starting to get the hang of these darned tiny blocks.  The next two blocks look super easy - including an Evening Star block (basically a 6.5" version of the Star of Virginia used in the Summer Sampler) and another star, but never fear, there are plenty more daunting blocks coming up soon, including another freaking basket block.  As if one botched attempt at needle turn applique wasn't enough...

7 comments:

  1. Your blocks look wonderful. Tell me, do you paper piece all of them, or do you sometimes measure them out and just eyeball it the way I do sometimes on my Dear Jane? I cannot get used to paper piecing, it always come out bigger than I meant it too! And I can't even begin to tell you how bad I am at the turning applique, as you said. Yours look good, mine, get all wobbly. Keep up the good work. (P.S.-I envy your block size. Mine are 4.5 to 5 inches max)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, your blocks are wonderful! I am anxious to see everyone's blocks put together as tops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these blocks! I must say I'm breathing a sigh of relief that next weeks blocks look a little easier than the cut glass dish I did this week! Love the fabrics you used especially the Darting Birds, the pattern just jumps out at you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love all of them. i still haven't started my blocks yet...i will someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer that image 3 says it's unavailable from flicker :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look lovely all hanging out together! (If you click on the unavailable photo it takes to view it in Flickr...)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat