Monday, August 1, 2011

It was a blocky kind of weekend

This weekend's sewing consisted of a lot of blocks.  It felt really good to check a few things off my To Sew list, and I'm really happy with these results, too.

I worked on my blocks for my beehive girls in the 4x5 Modern Quilt Bee. One of them my husband loves so much that he wants me to do a whole quilt inspired by the color palette - it's the one at the bottom right. I'm hoping to pack these up and get them out in the mail this week so I can really check this project off my list.

4x5 Blocks


I also got caught up on the Summer Sampler this weekend, and I really adore one of the blocks.  I'm not real happy with my fabric choices on the other one.  I really dig the Lucky Pieces block, it is definitely a block I would do again.  The Minnesota Block (on the right) has a real interesting history, and I love Lee's take on it, but I'm not loving the fabrics I used for the paper pieced diamonds.


Two more Summer Sampler blocks!

While most of my sewing went really smoothly, I did manage to foul a few things up with these blocks...did you notice on the Summer Sampler blocks? Look again...I'll give you a hint...it's the block on the right...

Oh yes, this is what happens when you hurry. Will I go back and fix the hourglasses so they all look the same? I'm not sure yet. Part of me thinks it adds character to the quilt, so we'll see.

Wonky Log Cabin for Kati

I love Kati right now - she sent out her August fabric for our {Sew} Beautiful bee early, so I took the opportunity to finish her August block before August began. She sent out a fabulous assortment of black and white prints with one pop of color - mine was green. She requested a wonky log cabin block with an improvisational feel to it, and not necessarily square, so I'm hoping I delivered. I had a lot of fun with this block. I really do dig log cabins, wonky or otherwise.

So, that's two whole projects off my list, and I am promising myself that I am not adding anything new this week!  Stay tuned tomorrow for my two Farmer's Wife blocks!

20 comments:

  1. You certainly did have a wonderful blocky weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blocks! I really think your Summper Sampler block looks fine with the hour glass going the other way, yes it adds character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, you were super productive! All the blocks look great. That Kati is so creative, love the wonky log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great progress there. I love your fabrics in the Minnesota block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job! I can see why your husband likes that color palette. I'm sure you'll be making a quilt in those colors soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good! I love your lucky pieces block done in solids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY beautiful blocks! I for one kinda like the hourglasses! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great! so may pretty fabric combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your blocks, especially the one for me! Your 4x5 blocks look great. I'm getting more and more tempted to do the summer sampler. There are some really great blocks in that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all wonderful blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the strips in the center square of your 4x5 bee blocks. Did you paper piece those or just sew a few strips together? Love it! I think your husband has a great idea and I hope it means you get to buy more fabric for your stash! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are so talented! i love these blocks so much. i need to do a wonky improv. log cabin this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all great blocks! I'm still trying to decide on what blocks to do for the 3x6 and the NUBEESS. You're a busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your 4x5 blocks, what a fun modern take on a sawtooth star! They're especially cool all together, I think that needs to be a full quilt! And your Summer Sampler blocks look awesome, I like your Minnesota fabric choices. As far as two of the hourglasses being the wrong way, I really don't think it matters - I think the "official" pattern has them all one direction, but who says you have to be official? : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did the same thing with the Minnesota block and I'm leaving mine alone! :D I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a productive w/e! Great block party you had! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great blocks! The hour glass is custom, one aspect that will make these blocks yours alone :) LOVE that wonky cabin block... LOVE the green you added. I would want a quilt with that color scheme alone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They all are so so pretty! Love that wonky log cabin for Kati, and I can totally see a whole quilt made of your blocks for the 4x5 bee!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the color choices for your 4x5 Bee!

    ReplyDelete
  20. especially love those stars @ the top! great fabric variety!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat