Tuesday, August 2, 2011

FWQAL Week #6: The one with a mixed bag

This week's Farmer's Wife blocks were definitely a mixed bag - I whipped up one of them in less than an hour, and then totally avoided the second one for a good several days, thanks to the 44 triangles it is comprised of.  I think this is the first week, however, that I managed to not unpick a single seam, which made me super happy.

FWQAL Block 21: Contrary Wife

Block #21: Contrary Wife
This was the easy block this week, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.  I put this block together pretty fast and was also really decisive about what fabrics I wanted to use.  I used some of Kate Spain's 12 Days of Christmas, Patty Young's Sanctuary, and Robert Kaufman's Metro Living.

FWQAL Block 22: Corn & Beans

Block #22: Corn & Beans
I avoided this block for several days.  When I tallied up how many triangles I'd have to cut out to make this block, I started to dread it.  See, me and triangles, we're just not friends the way that me and squares are.  I'm just not as precise when I work with fabric that's got a bias cut to it.  But, I joined this quilt along in part to expand my sewing skills and grow as a quilter, so I sucked it up (after seriously considering skipping this block).  I'm pretty happy with this one, though there are a few wonky bits, like the way I lost a few of the triangle points.  I used some Sew Happy, Flea Market Fancy, and Farmdale.

Farmer's Wife 1-22

Even though the fabrics are kind of all over the place and the blocks are all different, this is really starting to feel like a quilt.  I actually look forward to my Farmer's Wife blocks every week at this point, and I really like getting them out and putting them all up on the wall together.  Next week, I've got two pretty straight-forward looking blocks, Country Farm and Country Path.  Stay tuned to see how that goes!

16 comments:

  1. Both blocks are great, but I think the second one is one of my favorites of all the blocks so far. Very interesting to see all the tiny piecing up-close. The name might also help, since we are corn and bean farmers! Fabulous work, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fabrics in Contrary Wife are striking together! it will be a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For all that avoidance, it looks really great, they both do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhm, 44 triangles in a block how big? But it looks great! Both blocks do and they all look stunning togeher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in awe of all the work being done by people on the FWQAL. It just looks difficult to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks are looking so great together! I look forward to seeing each block every week. Even though I'm not participating, it's still fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fabric choices this week, as always! Since I'm following along with the letters, I have four blocks to complete before Friday. Eeek.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both blocks look great! I love how your blocks are coming together, and I agree! They most definitely look like a cohesive planned out quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look SO cute!! All those triangles... I would have been dreading it too! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these new blocks look wonderful with lovely fabric choices. I am sure loving all of your blocks together, it is fun to see so many done already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ALL of your blocks are so lovely, and these two are no exception. I love how your words about this QAL remind me of excercising - putting it off, dreading it, then finding you're actually looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you have trouble with the corners of the triangles getting pulled down into the bobbin area? I am finding that I have to start the little triangles in the middle and work both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do definitely have that happen from time to time, I hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, Corn and Beans doesn't look QUITE as awful as Birds In the Air, but I can see why you avoided it! It turned out great though. Great fabric choices in both blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good on you for giving it a go! And I'm pleased to hear I'm not the only one who's been unpicking a few seams,Lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blocks are looking fabulous together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat