Tuesday, August 16, 2011

FWQAL Week #8: The one with my new favorite block


Happy Tuesday to you!  Time to catch up on my Farmer's Wife Quilt Along progress, I've got two new blocks to share with you, and one of them just happens to be my new favorite...

FW Block #

Block #25: Cups & Saucers (a.k.a. my new favorite block)
This block was very straightforward and simple to put together, but impressive looking all the same.  I could definitely see myself making this block again in a quilt.  I love the fabrics I picked for this block, which is probably what's really driving this block to be my new favorite (narrowly edging out my Churn Dash block) - the purple print is from Kate Spain's Central Park collection and the blue/green dot is from Amy Butler's Love collection.

FWQAL Block #26: Cut Glass Dish

Block #26: Cut Glass Dish
It's no secret that my seam ripper has been my constant companion while working on these blocks.  When I tackled this block, I thought it was pretty straightforward, and felt real confident.  Until I did this...

The triangles should all face the same direction and look identical...

Argh!  I grabbed my handy-dandy seam ripper and fixed that sucker up, but oh boy, it was a good thing the munchkin was out with his daddy, because there was a lot of cursing about my silly mistake there.  I was able to fix it, but I'm still not in love with this block.  I like the contrast in the blues, but I'm not loving the Sanctuary print I used for the larger squares.  I suspect when I finish this quilt and put it all together that this block might wind up looking kind of interesting.  The dark blue print is from Densye Schmidt's DS Quilts collection, the lighter blue from Bonnie & Camille's Bliss collection, and the pink and peach print comes from Patty Young's Sanctuary collection.

Blocks 1-26 - FWQAL

I'm also guest posting today about fabric shopping and cuts at Sara's fabulous blog.  Have you ever been confused by all of the different fabric cuts and precuts available?  I break it all down over at Sew Sweetness today as part of Sara's special Sewing Back to School series, so make sure to check it out and have a great day!

13 comments:

  1. Your blocks are looking mighty awesome on your design wall, but those triangles are so stinkin tiny! I don't know how you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno, I kind of dig the cut glass. your progress so far is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To misquote Kipling, "You're a better (wo)man than I am"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, if I saw a stack of all of your fabrics at the beginning of this quilt, I would have anticipated a complete mess. Seeing them all here in pretty little blocks has really surprised me. They're beautiful together! I have to be more adventurous and take a page from your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yeah, that cut glass was my first block and with the templates, it was so crazy i about left the farmer! you did an awesome job and your quilt is wonderful~keep it up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I just those two blocks! Agreed on your new favorite, I find my fabric choices either make or break the blocks most times, yours are both winners!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you again so much for doing the guest post, I had e-mails about it first thing this morning, as well as people on my Facebook page saying that it was so helpful! THANK YOU! And I totally agree, that Cups/Saucers block is awesome! I kinda wish I had done this QAL, but I am already in over my head, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer about Cut Glass Dish. That was my very first block in this sampler and you DID count the pieces, right? 51 pieces in a 6" square. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would have been saying a few choice words myself if I had been un-sewing that block! And the other block IS very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great! Oh, I see there are more itty-bitty HSTs in my Farmer's Wife future. I feel your pain. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, i have to be honest... when i first looked at your second block, cut glass dish, i agreed with you, it isn't my fave... but when i look at the picture of all your blocks together that is the block my eye is drawn to, and i love it the most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love loving all these blocks - I salute you for not quitting the QAL when some bits of the cut glass block got sewn wrong. I would have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how your blocks are shaping up-- there's something about your color choices that is so awesome-- especially the blocks that have some contrast to them! This is going to be one amazing quilt :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat