Thursday, July 21, 2011

Kaleidoscope QAL: Gallery of Finishes

Kaleidoscope quilt - front view

Ta da!  And there it is, my finished Kaleidoscope quilt!  I'm so happy to have finished this quilt off, and I'm so happy to have sewn it up with so many quilt-alongers.  I'm still blown away by the sheer number of people who have gotten involved with this quilt-along, and I love all of the different interpretations I've seen of the kaleidoscope through this quilt along.  If you're looking for the final installment of the quilt-along instructions, with backing, quilting, and binding information here.

Kaleidoscope quilt - finished!

The fabrics in this quilt are so cheerful and happy, I'm glad I chose them.  I used a variety of the DS Quilts Picnic & Fairground collections, along with two additional prints to round out the quilt, and I used a DS Quilts green gingham fabric for the binding.

Kaleidoscope - quilting close-up

I keep vowing to try new methods of free-motion quilting, so for this quilt, I went with a loopy style, which I've only done once before on a doll quilt.  I enjoyed it, but not in the same way that I enjoy my usual meandering stipple.  I'm glad I tried something new, though, and my 3-year old says it looks like the path of a bee, like you'd see in a picture book.

Kaleidoscope finished back

The back of this quilt was a lot of fun to put together - I used up the scraps from the front of the quilt, sewed them up into a 16" wide strip and added two cuts of one other print from the quilt for a nice, pieced back.
Kaleidoscope QAL button


Need a new project?  The Kaleidoscope Quilt Along has wrapped up, but you can follow along with any of the posts to join in at your own pace! Hop on over to Flickr and join the group to share your progress!

6/3 - Fabric Requirements
6/23 - Let's start cutting and planning our blocks!
6/30 - Piecing the Kaleidoscope triangles
7/7 - Adding your neutral triangles and finishing your blocks
7/14 - Assembling your blocks into a beautiful quilt top
7/21 - Final wrap-up and linky - link up your finished QA quilt and enter to win a giveaway for all who finish by 8/5/11 at midnight EST!


Quilt Stats:
Name: Elizabeth's Kaleidoscope
Size: 62" x 74"
Fabrics: DS Quilts Picnic & Fairgrounds by Densye Schmidt for Jo-Ann Fabrics
Quilting: All-over loopy free-motion quilting, in white thread, done by yours truly
Binding: Green gingham print from DS Quilts Picnic & Fairgrounds - machined on to both front and back

And now here's your turn to share your finished quilt!  Those of you who enter your finished quilt by 12pm midnight EST 8/5/11 will be automatically entered to win a set of Anthology fat quarters from my stash.  Good luck, and thank you all again for participating in the quilt along!

40 comments:

  1. Pretty sure I won't be done with the rest of the group but I'm looking forward to see everyone's finished quilts! Maybe I can get some quilting ideas :)

    Yours is LOVELY... love these colors and prints :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful finish Elizabeth! Thanks again for this QAL, I'm still working through but will get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! Your fabric selection was just perfect I think. What a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, i did a kaleidoscope quilt... but it was allisons from cluck cluck sew. it isn't finished. i am planning on hand quilting it. can i still link up? funny thing is, it looks a lot like yours! http://kisskissquilt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really been enjoying the kaleidescope pattern. I've seen quite a bit of it recently in the quilting world and it is definately getting added to my "quilts to make" list... yours is lovely, I really like the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful E, and well done on hosting a successful QAL. I'm not finished yet, but will one day! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilting look like a bee trail. I love the observations of kids! This quilt is very beautiful and I can't wait to get mine finished. I'm plugging away .....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy do I need to get a move on! I have cut all my prints but not the background. I haven't even had time to take a photo and blog about it. I love how yours turned out and it is so fun to see everyones. I hope to be able to post a finished one sometime even if it is after the 5th. Thank you for holding this quilt a long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun! I really love it in these fabrics. I need to get started one of these days. I love the pattern, but just had too much going on to join up. Maybe in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks awesome! Unfortunately, it may be a while before I finish my QAL. There's not enough time for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I love the loopy quilting and this was a great use of the DS line!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally beautiful ! I need to get my butt in gear!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Your quilting looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt looks fantastic! Thanks so much for letting us quilt along!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Yea!!! THat looks gorgeous!!! I love the fabrics and quilting!! I better get mine finished!!! :) Congrats! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eek! I love it! The pattern is gorgeous and such perfect fabrics! It really is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's beautifull. I'm still working on mine, hope to finish it by X-mas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It turned out beautiful! I love that meandering with the loops I'm going to have to try that. Now to finish up my own kaleidoscope quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks fantastic!!! I am so making one of these as soon as things settle a little bit...I love that your daughter thinks it looks like the path of a bee...shes so right! Thanks so much for hosting this QAL,I will certainly be referring to your instructions when I get to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like your color choices, vey nice quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, so fabulous, Elizabeth! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic job! I'm excited to finish mine. Is this one staying with you?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful quilt! The fabrics and the color combination are great' truly wonderful!

    I signed up for this QAL, but didn't get to even cut the fabrics... So much was going on in my life (a new grandchild! now I need to make another baby's quilt)

    Looking forward for your next QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! I love it! It turned out beautiful! :) Thanks so much for putting this qal together!! I finally received the rest of my background fabric and it's washed and ready to be cut. I think once I get that done it will come together quick (at least I'm hoping! I don't want to miss the giveaway!) ;) Plus I can't wait to use it!!

    Thanks again! (and I can't wait for the Solids Swap either! You are one busy lady! Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks beautiful. I love how the pattern acts like a true kaleidoscope - it seems to change every time you look at it, each time bringing something else to focus (a kind of stars, or bigger stars, or circles, or bigger circles...)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, it turned out lovely Elizabeth. And, lol!!, I just decided today how I wanted to quilt mine and logged on tonight to discover you had done yours kinda how I envisaged mine :-) Great minds!! Thanks so much for a great QAL, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This QAL was so much fun. It was my first ever and I think you may have created an addict! The help and encouragement throughout was terrific; really helped me as I worked my way through the quilt. Cannot wait to do another one!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yours is beautiful! Thanks for a great Quilt A Long, I am glad to have mine done. I sure enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your quilt is so beautiful. Thanks for patiently hosting that quilt a long. I'm working on it and while soon be sewing my blocks together. I would have never attempted such a quilt without guidance and support. Thanks for inspiring me to learn and grow as a quilter. I just hope it turns out half as beautiful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  30. *WILL soon be sewing ....

    Argghhh!! Why do I comment before I've had coffee??

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous kaleidoscope. Love the pieced back! For some reason they always make me smile. Back to our roots, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Kaleidoscope--how great!! Love the design and colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your Kaleidoscope Quilt is stunning. I love your choice of fabrics, it looks so crisp and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  34. As always wonderful quilt E! You do such a nice job hosting the quilt alongs - you're a natural. Thanks so much for joining in Summer Fair and sharing with us! AM

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks again for a great QAL! This was my first and I have loved doing it! I think I got my link posted for my finish?!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so excited! I had it in my head that the deadline was tonight, and now I see have a few more days. YAY! Off to finish my silly pieced backing (yours are much more attractive because they're simpler; mine is too complicated because it's based on using up stash without having to buy any more fabric.) Anyway, off to my sewing machine again!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Finally got the top finished today, but won't have it quilted for a while. Thanks for having such a fun QAL! I enjoyed making mine and it won't be the last.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Goal met: Kaleido done by Aug 4! Thanks for a fun QAL, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I second what Laura says: Goal met - on time with a completed quilt! SO enjoyed this quilt-along...thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat