Friday, June 3, 2011

Kaledioscope QAL: Fabric Requirements and Guidance


This is the second post in the Kaleidoscope Quilt Along, which will kick off with cutting instructions on June 23rd.  This week we're talking about one of my favorite parts of the quilting process - fabric selection!

I'm going to share cutting instructions for two different quilt sizes with you - a large lap size quilt that will measure approximately 60" x 72" and a baby quilt that will measure approximately 36" x 48".  Here's the nitty-gritty details:

For a large lap quilt, you will need:
 * 3.25 yds total of printed fabric
     You can go with 10 1/3 yd cuts, 16 1/4 yd cuts, or 20 FQs - or better yet, you can use scraps!  
 * 2.25 yds coordinating solid plus additional yardage if you want to add borders
 * 1/2 yd for binding
 * 4.5 yds for backing

For a baby quilt, you will need:
 * 12 fat quarters of printed fabric
 * 1 yd coordinating solid plus additional yardage if you want to add borders
 * 3/8 yd for binding
 * 3 yds for backing

With a kaleidoscope quilt, there are a lot of different ways you can approach selecting your fabrics, but I think the most important thing is to select fabrics that you love.  As far as I'm concerned, quilting rules are meant to be broken.  The old kaleidscope book that I have that inspired this quilt along only shows kaleidoscope quilts with large floral prints, and dark ones at that, but I think prints of any kind of scale would work equally well in this quilt.  It is important, however, not to use fabrics that are mostly background.  Here's an example of what I mean by a fabric that is "mostly background", if you were using a light color as your coordinating solid.



See how this print is mostly background, with just a splash of color?  Stick with prints that are mostly color and contrast your coordinating solid, otherwise the block design may wind up getting lost.  If you'd like more fabric choosing advice, read Jeni's amazing The Art of Choosing series, which covers not only how to select fabrics but also how to build a well-rounded fabric stash.

Curious to see what I'm using?  I'm finally cutting into my DS Quilts stash, which I've supplemented with a few other prints to round things out.

DSCN4210

Don't forget to either comment or email me with a link to your blog posting about this quilt-along so I can add you to the Kaleidoscope Quilt-Alongers Blogroll on the right hand side of my blog!  Make sure to share your fabric selections over in the Flickr group and get to know your fellow quilt-alongers.  What are you waiting for?  It's time to start shopping!  Oh, I know what you're waiting for...a coupon!  I've got two for you :)

Peg & Becca, from Sew Fresh Fabrics, are offering free domestic shipping and half off international shipping for orders over $35 for quilt along participants when you enter the word "BETSY" in the Notes to Seller.  You've heard me talk about my finds at Sew Fresh before, they have a wonderful selection of fabrics.


Also offering you a deal is Brenda, of Pink Castle Fabrics.  She has a great Etsy shop full of some gorgeous finds - including Anna Maria Horner's latest collection, Loulouthi - and she is offering you guys, my super fun quilt along peeps, a discount in her shop for your quilt along supplies!


Enter the code DCMBQAL in her shop and you will receive 15% off your purchase of quilt-along fabrics!  She's also offering some custom FQ bundles for the quilt-along, which you can fill with some of your favorite fabrics, or if you're in a rush, maybe you'd like some of my favorites - here's a bundle I put together that's now available in Brenda's shop.


I can't wait to see your fabric choices popping up in the Flickr group.  In case you haven't joined the Flickr group yet, here's the link.  Happy shopping!

47 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I was planning on using my DS prints too, though I think I only have 7, so will need to find some coordinates as well. Can't wait till the 23rd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Great news. Thanks for arranging the discounts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! I can't wait to get started! Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you rock! I can't wait to get started...once I pick fabrics...which could take a while! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in! This is on my to-do list, so why not start right now : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo - so excited! Time to start picking!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Can't wait to pick my fabric! I'm using Silent Cinema, but may want to mix in some other lines. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to start looking at some of my fabric ideas this weekend, thanks for getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogged about this today:
    http://theconfusedquilter.blogspot.com/2011/06/just-popping-in-to-say-hi.html

    I think I'm going spooky scrappy! I have a LOT of Halloween fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO EXCITED about this! Fabric selection is my favourite part, too. Still need to blog and link but I'm getting there....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!! I am also using my DS fabric :o) I thought it would make a perfectly cheerful quilt! I blogged about it last night and can't wait for the 23rd :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow, I just went through all 56 pages of Sew Fresh Fabric's etsy shop... I found a stellar bundle that I can't wait to order, AND I favorited like twenty other things! Can you say fabric addiction?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm....knowing that a baby quilt is going to be an option makes this so tempting! And seeing your DS fabrics makes me think it would be a perfect use for the ones I just picked up as well! I'm going to have to give this some serious thought, since this is a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, You talked me into it!
    Sign me up Girlfriend... I have posted and grabed your Button.
    Now for my Fabric choice, Sooo glad we have a week or two to decide!
    Can't wait!!!!!!
    www.ladybugquiltings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay! I am in! I love Kaleidoscope quilts! I think I will do the baby one and use my pink Modern Meadow FQs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did a bee last month where I asked for Kaleidoscope blocks. There aren't enough to make a whole quilt, so I'll need to make more. This is perfect timing! Of course, I'm sure my blocks will be slightly different in size, since I already have some made. I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like its turning into a DS Quilts Kaleidoscope quilt fest! I'm using mine too! I have 10 fq's and will supplement 2 other coordinates from my stash :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooo...fun!!! Do you have to use a template? I am itching to try another quilt along!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am wondering whether your instructions will be for us to use our standard rectangular rulers, or if we should make sure to have a 45 degree ruler for this project...

    ReplyDelete
  20. for the scrappy among us - about how big are the pieces? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Elisabeth. Decided to join you in your quilt along.

    Kylie

    http//:carefreegorgeous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm in, I've always wanted to do a Kaleidescope quilt and I need a new project.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I blogged about your wonderful quiltalong anf can´t wait to start!!!!
    Miriam
    www.berlinquilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Also, I will be quilting a long:
    http://justabitfrayed.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a wonderful idea & I can't wait to get started. Well I kind of can, since I haven't committed to all the fabrics yet. ;) I'm off to shop for some additions to audition. Blogged about it already today http://hotpinkpeonies.blogspot.com/2011/06/jumping-into-june.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, I would like to join. I just announced it on my (dutch) blog and I even translated the part about joining in english. I hope it's readable. Zusjeb.blogspot.com evamariebeij(at)gmail(dot)com. I'm off shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay, I was waiting for fabric requirements! I've been offline for a couple days because I was sick so I'm glad I found this post!

    I'll get caught up early next week with my posts and stuff, but the good news is that I have the fabric I'm going to use already! I'll use the fabric I originally bought to do my Kaleido quilt back when I first thought about doing it but never got around to it! Whatever else I need I'll supplement from my stash......

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am in!!

    Blogged about it today at:

    http://ranchingmom.blogspot.com/2011/06/kalediscope-qal.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. I posted about this quilt along finally! :)

    http://thiscraftyfox.blogspot.com/2011/06/kaleidescope-quilt-along.html

    Hoping I will stick to my choice of Aviary 2 for my FQ's but we shall see by June 23rd when I have to start cutting SOMETHING haha.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sign me up!! Can't wait to get started, thanks for hosting!!

    http://sewcraftyjess.blogspot.com/2011/06/quilt-along-yes-please.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have now blogged about the QAL here: http://shecanquilt.blogspot.com/2011/06/quilt-alongs-little-help-from-my.html. Thanks again for starting this QAL, I am so looking forward making this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  32. posted about on my blog http://suedaurio.blogspot.com/2011/06/old-project-done-new-project-started.html

    and selected fabrics, just about ready to post to flickr. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What's one more WIP! I'm on board for the QAL! I'm looking forward to starting. Thanks for hosting!

    I blogged about the QAL at www.kdquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. This will be great. I am going to go through all my old batik scraps so the guilt of purchasing new fabric for my more modern quilts might abate somewhat!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm in! Blog post here:

    http://meandmadeline.blogspot.com/
    2011/06/kaleidoscope-quilt-along.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm joining the QAL! I can't wait!

    http://kendascrafts.blogspot.com/2011/06/quilt-along-fun.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm joing your quilt along and am looking forward to it! Here's the link:

    http://angelscrapsquilting.blogspot.com/2011/06/wip-wednesday.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I would like to join in, but I'm feeling pretty lost.
    I don't know what DS stands for?
    I can't afford to buy fabric so I would have to use scraps.
    I was working a strip quilt and planning another one. In other words, most of my fabric is cut in to 2 inch strips.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Can't wait! I am also using my new DS fabrics.

    Loved the sliced coins QAL so I am sure this one will be great!!!
    Thanks for putting this together.
    Kristin
    http://kheaney-writeitdown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi, my name is Floh. I am from Berlin, Germany and I want to join the Quiltalong if it is possible. A friend of mine told me about it last evenint. Tonight I decided to join, today I bought some fabric ;-) My Blog is:http://flohstiche.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cannot wait, I am still choosing my fabrics, but once received will blog!

    fI

    ReplyDelete
  42. IM hoping that 8 1/2yards is going to be enough? of patterned material?

    ReplyDelete
  43. I would like to try this, I'm am new to sewing and have no quilting experience maybe this will help me

    ReplyDelete
  44. Totally have to jump on board! Going for mostly scraps-hope it'll still look pretty!
    http://luckiexstars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. after a week of stash-searching and mixing, i finally came up with my fabrics today: all Christmas, and all completely out of my stash. no new purchases. the best kind of fabrics are the ones that use my stash...so I can buy more. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  46. A little bit late but better late than never! I just found this quilt along and I've bought my printed fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat