Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Farmer's Wife QAL Week #3

When I saw that the two blocks for this week were full of triangles, I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up a little bit.  I'm starting to feel a bit HST'd out at the moment, after having pieced another 50 HSTs for my warm/cool quilt, but fortunately, these two blocks came together quite easily.

Block # 11: Broken Dishes

Block 11
The original block from the book

FW Block 11: Broken Dishes
My take on Broken Dishes
This block is comprised of 32 triangles, and came together surprisingly easily.  I think I'm finally getting the hang of working with triangles.   I really like the contrast between the fabrics I used in this block, which are from Erin McMorris's Weekends collection and Amy Butler's Love collection, respectively.  I adore that Amy Butler Sun Spot print, it's one of my favorite polka dot prints ever!

Block #12: Broken Sugar Bowl

Block 12

FW Block 12: Broken Sugar Dishes

I really like this block.  I interpreted it a bit differently than the book, using a lighter valued print for the corner squares and coordinating center squares, and I really like how it turned out.

So here's what all my blocks look like together so far, all twelve of them - and so far, I'm really digging the whole scrappy approach.  I was concerned at first, about them looking just too crazy, but so far, it's looking great.  Some of these fabrics have been sitting in my scrap bin for a while, waiting to become something, so it's a bit exciting to start using them and to start seeing my scraps shrinking!

FWQAL Blocks 1-12

13 comments:

  1. Nice blocks! Love the way the Broken Sugar Bowl pops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are gorgeous! Love your Broken Dishes!
    It's inspiring to watch your progress . . . I just finished block #8 . . . and need to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice job! the scrappy approach is working really well, they do look great together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're lovely together - I was loosing sight of the entire project, but the colors are fantastic in a smattering like that. This is going to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like all of your blocks. It is fun to see how more blocks bring the group together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scrappy quilts and yours is looking fabulous!
    I just joined the quilt along and just posted about it today...in fact I talked about half square triangles and a different method on how I make them.
    I know they can be tricky!
    xx
    Lori
    Bee in my Bonnet

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your blocks are looking fabulous. I can't wait to see them all done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look fantastic! I love your color choices. What a fresh fun quilt you will have in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks are looking great together. V.cohesive even though you've used different fabrics - you've obviously got a great eye for colour! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look great--such fun fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh pretty! I think half the fun of this quilt along is to see how different the blocks look in modern prints everyone is using! I am loving your scrappiness, all the colors look so well balanced!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are looking faaaabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat