Monday, July 11, 2011

July Bee Blocks

I got to work on some seriously fun blocks this month in the various quilting bees I'm in.  I finished up the last of them this weekend, despite Mr. Not Betsy experiencing a big fall while trimming our trees late in the weekend.  He's all right, fortunately, icing his shoulder and has taken to putting in his two cents with my sewing.  More on that tomorrow with my Farmer's Wife blocks, which have caused me to utter quite a few curses.

Lee's our queen bee in the String Me Along bee this month, so it was fun to get a great package of Central Park fabrics from her. She requested that we put together a simple Avignon picnic block, from this Moda Bake Shop tute. The irony is that I printed that very same pattern, when it first came out last year, and it was the first real quilt pattern I intended to follow. I never got around to it, but now I've at least used the directions I printed out over a year ago!

A fun block for Lee

I also worked on some hexagon blocks for the Bliss circle of do.Good.Stitches. Becky requested we put together some blocks using this tutorial, which was super easy to follow. My husband pointed out that they remind him of those nuclear symbols, with the alternating yellow and gray, but I think they look pretty cute. I enjoyed working on these blocks, I will definitely be bookmarking this tutorial and trying it again sometime!

July do.Good.Stitches blocks

Next, I worked on some classic sawtooth star blocks, in super bright, happy colors for another little mini-bee I'm helping out in. These were my first sawtooth stars, I've only done wonky stars prior to these ones. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked doing these straightforward stars. Once the quilt is finished and delivered, I'll share the rest of the super fun details from this one.

Sawtooth blocks for Michelle

The last block I worked on this month was for Megan, and it's quite possible that it was the most fun.  Have you seen the super fun x and + blocks sweeping across quilty blogland?  They are seriously addictive to make, and Megan sent along a great assortment of Innocent Crush make hers with, which made my mailbox a very pretty, happy place.  I apologize in advance for how cruddy my photo of this block is - the weather this last week here in Florida has been darn close to abysmal, with rain, rain, and more rain.  There's been little natural light for photography, and that's part of the reason why this photo stinks.  The other reason?  There was a three-year-old in the midst of having a tantrum at my feet when I took this photo.

Megan's X block for {Sew} Beautiful

What did you sew up this weekend?  Happy Monday to you!  I'm linking up with {Sew} Modern Monday this week.

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

17 comments:

  1. Love the radioactive hexies, they look really cool! I gotta start thinking about my block for the 4x5 modern bee and you've really inspired me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with your little star blocks! And impressed that you managed a photo with a 3rd old tantrum going on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want to drop what I'm doing and make Megan's block right now! Alas, I have to go to work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Avignon picnic block, checked out the hexie tute and it look doable for a beginner like me and since I've been on a hexie rampage, perhaps I'll try it on my vacation! Also love the the x and + block and tutorial, want to try that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I <3 that last block!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blocks!! I love the Avigon picnic quilt! Such a great design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sawtooth stars still make me happy. I love them. Your Avigon block is great too! I like that its come full circle and you now have the chance to try a pattern that has been bouncing around your mind for quite some time. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the more i see innocent crush the more i just love it. when it first came out i was not a huge fan. i think it is that it sooooo everywhere that i get sick of seeing it. kinda like how i felt about the pips. i can't get enough of innocent crush and the pips are starting to find their way into my stash. i love them. my lqs has quite the selection of innocent crush and it is quickly being snatched up by me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh... and i finished my dream on quilt this weekend/last week. it is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your yellow and gray little blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty! Your block for me looks awesome, thank you! : ) And I can't wait to get going on the x and + block for Megan.

    Glad Mr. Not Betsy is doing okay after his fall! Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool block!
    And I hope your husband is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the blocks! I definitely need to bookmark some of those for future projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh I love playing with other peoples fabric to make them yummy things! That central park block is so fun, and I must check out these X and Os blocks I keep seeing, they all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All your blocks turned out great! Especially loving the Avignon picnic block -- I'm going to have to try that sometime. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh lovely work! I love the color palate of those stars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gah, so glad to hear the Mr. is doing good! Love your bee blocks---especially that last one :) I can't wait to get them all back! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat