Tuesday, July 12, 2011

FWQAL Week #3: Another update from the farm

For some reason, I was really feeling this quilt-along over the last week.  I wound up doing four blocks this week for two reasons.  1) I cut out all of the fabric for the first two, and thought I might need some easier blocks to cheer me up if the first two didn't go so well, since the first two looked a bit intense and 2) The second two looked so simple to put together, I thought I might as well sew them up too.

Here's what all of my blocks look like together now...all sixteen of them!

FWQAL Blocks 1-16

Block #13: Buckwheat
I cursed this block.  A lot.  There's tiny eight HSTs in this block, as well as 12 other non-HST triangles and a handful of squares.   It wasn't so much the piecing, it was how tiny each of the darn sub-block units was that brought out my sailor's mouth.  In the end, I think this block worked out nicely, but I am very happy to have it behind me now.

FWQAL Block #13: Buckwheat

Block #14: Butterfly at the Crossroads
After Buckwheat, everything else seemed simple.  This block was a breeze to put together, although I'm not in love with the final look, because of my fabric choices.   Wish I'd gone for pink instead of red.  Oh well, next time.

FWQAL Block #14: Butterfly at the Crossroads

Block #15: Buzzard's Roost
I'm really happy with my fabric choices on this one, I love the monochromatic look of this block...but it came out a bit wonky. I may remake this one at some point, but for now, I'm moving on.

FWQAL Block #15: Buzzard's Roost

Block #16: Calico Puzzle
I actually stuck with the color palette the drawing in the book shows, which I'm pretty happy with.  This block was definitely the easiest to put together of the four I did this week.  I'm really happy I was able to work in the blue print, which I picked up at a not-so-local quilt shop kind of in the middle of nowhere.  In a shack.  Well, it looked like a shack on the outside, at least, but on the inside, oh...modern fabric heaven.  Loulouthi, Innocent Crush, Good Folks, Bijoux, Nicey Jane, Soul Blossoms, Folksy Flannel, Modern Meadow, and soooooo many more.  And these awesome buckets of 5" charm squares that were 12/$1.  We went through every single one of those buckets (which took somewhere around 2 hours) and bought all of the good ones, including these blue prints, which I'm fairly sure are from Anna Maria Horner's Garden Party.  So...this block makes me happy because it's cute and because it makes me remember a super fun, crazy fabric shopping trip.   Although, as AnneMarie so kindly pointed out, one of my HSTs is pointing the wrong direction on this block, so, I guess I'll be doing some seam ripping on this one as well...argh...

FWQAL Block #16: Calico Puzzle

There's a block next week that I'm kind of dreading - #18, Century of Progress.  But I'm going to press on, maybe I'll learn something, working with scalene triangles.  Yikes!

14 comments:

  1. All of those blocks turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such pretty little things. :D I love the blues getting pulled in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are beautiful! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that gets a bad case of sailor mouth when sewing those tiny pieces! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look great! I just cut out my pieces to make Buckwheat. Let's see how it turns out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blocks! I wouldn't have even noticed the wrong facing HST on the last block, and amen to the sailors mouth on the buckwheat block! Although after finishing it, I sort of felt like the sewing king of the world, that I could tackle anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. buckwheat was worth all the cursing! it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! All the blocks look so wonderful! I think you just can't stop that project if you start ... so many different and great blocks!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, I don't think I would have the patience to do this quilt along - but I'm kind of jealous of the blocks you and Lee are chugging out. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All those tiny hst's are a nightmare. Yours came together very nicely. I have not tried this block yet. I don't think I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great!! And good luck on that next block! Looks tricky, but AWESOME!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks look great. And I just did Century of Progress. Use the templates and it will turn out fine. I really like your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i totally hear you on the sailor mouth while quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like them very much but my favourite one is actually Butterfly at the Crossroads :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat