Thursday, July 14, 2011

Kaleidoscope QAL: Piecing Your Quilt Top

Can you believe it?  We're already to the last step of finishing your quilt top, piecing your blocks together.  I've seen some fantastic progress in the Flickr group this week, I love all the different takes on the Kaleidoscope!!

kaleidoscopemosaic714

This step is a quickie one, I can't wait to see more quilt tops popping up in the Flickr group!  First, begin by squaring up your blocks to a 12.5" square, just in case there's any size variations from the piecing process.

Kaleidoscope QAL - it's starting to look like a quilt!!

Next, lay out your blocks in a way that's pleasing to you.  It took me a few tries to get my blocks laid out in a such a way that made me happy, so don't be afraid to take your time with this step.

piecing-the-quilt-top

Once you've got your blocks laid out nicely, it's time to seam them together, using a quarter-inch seam.  I tend to piece my quilt tops first in horizontal rows, then seam the rows together in pairs, and so forth, but do what works best for you.  If you're more columns person, that's fine, too.

Make sure to press your seams well.  Pressing is the last step of finishing your quilt top - other than a quick pat on the back for finishing it up!

A finished Kaleidoscope QAL quilt top!

Let's continue the momentum next week, where I'll talk a little bit about basting, quilting, and quilt backs and I will open up the finished quilts linky, which will remain open indefinitely.  One lucky quilter who enters their finished quilt in the linky before 8/4/11 will win these gorgeous fat quarters courtesy of my over-shopping habits!

Quilt Along Giveaway!

18 comments:

  1. I better get cracking because those FQ belong to me ;)

    Love how your quilt top came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is looking so nice now that it is all pieced! I'm not going to get to piece mine for a week or so, but I am looking forward to it. Thanks for the QAL, seeing all the different approaches to this pattern has been so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Your quilt is so beautiful! I love that caleidoscope pattern and your colours and fabric choices are perfect! I'm looking forward to try that later this year!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, I've got three blocks pieced together. i need to set up an assembly line for chain piecing so i can make quicker progress, but space is limited in my dining room, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful collection of quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks so amazing!!! i love those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute fat quarters!! I can't wait to go get sewing!!

    You top looks AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! It is amazing how one design can generate so many different quilts. That's part of the appeal of quilting for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your quilt top looks stunning! And so do the bundle of fabrics but I don't think I'm going to make it in time for 4th Aug (boo hoo!). Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I got 4 extra blocks put together this morning, so I'll have two 3x4 baby quilts. Very excited to finish these up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a beautiful quilt top! Thanks for this lovely QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to win, but I'm afraid I'm bit behind on schedule, because of our holiday! I love the tops already finished, especially yours, it so fresh and modern! Eva-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your quilt top. Thanks you so much for giving me the opportunity to join such an active quilt along. Looking at everyone's fabric, then their quilt tops has been fun. Will keep an eye out for your next one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt top is so great. Sew...I'll try to get going on mine this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They all look so fabulous {sigh} Will get to mine eventually!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such pretty colors! I am having so much fun watching everyone's Kaleidoscopes emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous collection of quilt tops! Including yours, Elizabeth. I *will* get mine done just as soon as I regain my sewing mojo/momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yours is looking great! I've got mine pieced now to quilt.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat