Saturday, July 23, 2011

Summer Sampler Series: The week in which I cave in

Have you heard about the Summer Sampler series? I find it hard to resist a good quilt along, especially one hosted by several bloggers that I enjoy greatly, so I found myself caving in this to this quilt along, after polishing off my own this week. I decided that the logical thing to do was to use these 12 blocks to make the 4x5 Modern Quilt Bee quilt that I'm putting together even bigger. It's going to be a gift quilt this Christmas, and the bigger the better.

I'm using grays and blues, mainly in the turquoise and aqua families, for this quilt.  I had a lot of fun putting these first six blocks together, and am looking forward to the next six!  I did take a major shortcut on one of them, mainly because I'm putting together more than enough tiny HSTs for the FWQAL, but other than that, I've done the blocks as written...

Block #1: Star of Virginia

Block #1 - Star of Virginia
This block was a lot of fun to put together - the other sawtooth stars like this that I've put together have been a good bit smaller, so this was a fun one.  Fabrics include two prints from Jenean Morrison's Silent Cinema line and the blue print comes from the Victoria & Albert collection.

Block #2: Greek Cross

Block #2 - Greek Cross
I absolutely heart this block.  Might be one of my new personal favorite blocks.  Ridiculously easy to piece, yet so effective in design.  I've used two Konas here, Coal and Peacock, as well as four fun aqua prints, from Modern Workshop, Hullabaloo, Sanctuary, and Pick a Bunch.

Block #3: Mosaic

Block #3 - Mosaic
This block was a cool way of putting HSTs together in a way I hadn't thought of before.  I used Kona Lagoon, along with some prints from Silent Cinema, Modern Workshop, Pick a Bunch, and Sanctuary.

Block #4: Flowering Garden Path

Block #4 - Flower Garden Path adapated much like Rachel's
The idea of putting together a boatload of teeny-tiny HSTs just didn't sound like fun when I cut this block out, so I used some scraps from the previous blocks to make this one work.  Then, when I started catching up on my blog reading today, I realized Rachel and I did almost the same thing - you can check her blog for directions on how to adapt this block, if you're interested.

Block #5: Star

Block #5 - Star
It's possible that this block is my favorite so far, though I really love them all.  I haven't paper pieced much since my Circle of Geese block for Brooke a while back, and I was pleased to find that I wasn't too rusty.  Even if I were, Faith's instructions are impeccable and super straight-forward.  I highly recommend them!

Block #6: Arkansas Traveler

I really like this block.  I wish I'd used a different fabric for the background fabric on this one, just for a bit more contrast, but all in all, I'm real happy with this block.  The paper piecing here was easy to follow, and produced a super impressive looking block!

I'm a bit hard pressed to pick a favorite so far, but the munchkin is super excited about this quilt and has a favorite - the Star block.  The real reason he's excited is because I'm making it for someone who the munchkin absolutely adores.  He can't wait to see it finished, and wanted his picture taken with the blocks so far, so I thought I'd share the cuteness.  Happy sewing this weekend!

The munchkin with my blocks

16 comments:

  1. MORE KoolAid that I don't need. Ha! Awesome idea to add to your 4x5 quilt. I was thinking the same thing,, using just a few of the blocks.

    I love the greek cross, too. And the fabric you have in the center of that top star is awesome. Which one is is specifically....I may need to make something for Leigh and buy it to make my last 4x5 block for Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I need more temptation! These are looking awesome. I will make these blocks at some point--especially the last two! And did you see the cross blocks Faith made out of Loulouthi! The stuff of dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Summer Sampler has been a very fun quilt along and the blocks alot of fun to do! Yours are lovely! The gray from Silent Cinema - does it really have that dark gray running through it? Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your fabric combinations. These blocks are turning out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooove a good sampler! The aqua and greys look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yay, I'm so glad you're in! And they're just gorgeous. Nice job on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!! Those look incredible!! I love the colors!! I am so happy you are joining in!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so tempted to join the fun and brighten this dreary old winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok,so... how long did it take you to make these blocks? you are so productive it is killing me. love them all so much but i am with batman. the star is my fave too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute blocks as usual. Blocks 5 and 6 are magnificent! And what a darling little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! Another one bites the dust! Stunning blocks! The blues and greys are really effective together. I've managed to resist this Qal ...... so far! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your star block looks fantastic! I especially like how you made the grey stripey fabric line up in the background. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! These are all so great blocks! I love your favourite as the Greek Cross as well!
    Thank you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! These blocks are fabulous! Must...Resist...haha. This will make such an awesome quilt paired with your 4 x 5 blocks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm starting on the sampler this week. Love your color combination. And I MUST get some of that Jenean Morrison print in the two shades of grey--Featurette. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These blocks are great! Love the colors you are using and adore the star block.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat