Wednesday, July 6, 2011

WiP Wednesday #34

How was your long holiday weekend?  I hope it was wonderful.  This was the first year that we really did up-close fireworks with my munchkin, and he had a ton of fun with it.  He also got to see a 4th of July parade, which he enjoyed immensely, and I managed to log a bunch of sewing time, now that my husband is finally home from a marathon work trip.  It sure is nice having another pair of hands around again!  Anyway, let's get down to business...here's what I'm sewing up this week...


Finished:
Alex's Garden Prince quilt - I'm hoping this is going to arrive on Alex's doorstep today, I can't wait to hear what she thinks!


Alex's Garden Prince quilt

July do.Good.Stitches blocks - Becky requested some super cute hexagon blocks using this tutorial, which were crazy easy to put together, and a ton of fun.  I can definitely see myself doing a whole quilt like this at some point!

July do.Good.Stitches blocks

Sawtooth star blocks - Finished and sent off to be part of a bigger gift quilt - which I will share with you when it's finished!  I adore these bright little blocks, they are super fun.

Sawtooth blocks for Michelle

Still going:
Kaleidoscope QAL - The holiday weekend gave me a good chance to get caught up on my own quilt-along, and I'm putting the finishing touches on tomorrow's piecing post, in which we'll finish up our blocks.  I will give you all some tips on making your pesky blocks lay flat, but I can assure those of you who have jumped ahead that you don't need to worry about the blocks that aren't 100% flat - once you've quilted and washed your quilt, those lumpy spots will disappear!

My Kaleidoscope blocks - ready for squaring!

Farmer's Wife QAL - Two more blocks down, just another 99 to go!  LOL, I'm really not in a rush to finish this one; it's actually kind of fun for me to try something at a slower pace for once.

FWQAL Blocks 1-12

Warm/Cool QAL - I got a package of gorgeous warm/cool charms from Caitlin late last week, and hopped right to sewing them up.  I've got the whole layout up on the wall, and I'm debating if I want to go larger, or if I'm done.  I think I've got about 180 HSTs up there right now and another 30 or so that don't fit on the design wall...yet somehow, I'm considering making more!  I think I must be suffering from some kind of HST-induced craziness!

Warm/Cool QAL - still laying things out!

Special Delivery project - My GO! Baby Project - I've absolutely been waffling about which die to try first, but I'm happy to report that I've made a decision and gotten started.  I'm hoping to share what I am making along with a super simple tute and review in the next few days.

New pillow project GO!ing smoothly :)

Crying out for some attention:
Single Girl quilt
String Me Along bee quilt
Super secret project

New:
Birdie Stitches July block - This month's block is super cute, I'm looking forward to getting started on this one.  I've finally blown through all the blocks I pieced back in January for this one, so I've got some piecing to do before I get started, though.

{Sew} Beautiful block for Megan - Megan picked not only awesome fabric, but an awesome block - I'm looking forward to this one!

String Me Along block for Lee - So fun to be working on a block for one of my blogging besties!  Lee picked a pattern that was one of the first quilt patterns I ever intended to make (and then proceeded to fail at even making it to cutting the fabric), so I'm looking forward to making a block for her.

WiP Wednesday #34 Recap
Last week's total: 10
Finished: 3
New this week: 3
This week's total projects: 10

What are you sewing this week?  Want to see some other quilty wips?   Hop on over to Freshly Pieced's WiP Wednesday linky!

36 comments:

  1. You have so much going on!! I love the Prince Charming quilt and the warm/cool QA one is looking good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So busy, and lots of beautiful things on the go. The FW blocks look fabulous together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got so much done, and it's all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think you do have HST-induced craziness. Definitely! But you're right, when a quilt is as beautiful as your warm/cool quilt, it's always tempting to go bigger!
    Love, Love, Love Alex's quilt - this pattern is next on my list - with Central Park!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have so many lovely projects going right now! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am loving your prince charming quilt. so pretty! and your other projects are so fun and colorful, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busy busy lady! Glad you had a great fourth, and the kiddo got to enjoy some fireworks! I am loving your warm cool HSTs! That looks fabulous. I can't even fathom that there are still 99 FW blocks to make, eek!! Those saw tooth stars are so bright and fun, can't wait to see the finished quilt!! Great WIPs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see your finished Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt; your colour choices are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW and then some, so many pretty colors together, you've been busy creating master pieces. Glad your wkend was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an impressive quilty week. I love the heading "crying out for some attention!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you had such a great weekend!! I love that finished quilt and i am SO excited to get the next QAL step tomorrow! Yea!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Busy girl! Everything looks great! I'm doing your Kaleidoscope too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew, you're busy! Your sawtooth blocks are so bright and fresh. I can't wait to see what the final quilt looks like :)

    Is it time for an intervention? Step away from the HST... It's so pretty, I can see why you keep going, but you must be dreaming about them by now. Not a bad thing to dream about now that I'm thinking of it....

    ReplyDelete
  14. great hst quilt! crazy when it outgrows the design wall, isn't it!? Also love your kaleidoscope blocks! i really need to get sewing on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love the colors/patterns you're using for your Farmers Wife blocks, they're all so bright & cheerful & summery. It's going to look amazing when you get it all put together.

    And I really like the yellow/grey combo for the hexagon blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I've commented on it before, but I really love your prince charming quilt! The hexagons for the do. Good Stitches bee are awesome, and I love the fabrics you're using if your farmers wife blocks! Reading your post makes me want to go sew things right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those hexie blocks are adorable. If I wasn't already so over committed to QALs I'd definitely be joining that one too! Oooh the temptation! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun to see everything you've been working on. When I made my kaleidoscope blocks (for a different quilt), I loved the trick of "twirling" those center bits of seams with my thumb to make them lie flat. Sometimes the best tools we have are in our own fingers!

    Elizabeth E.
    http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun WsIP! I absolutely adore the Garden Prince quilt. And I hear you about the joy that is another pair of hands when a toddler's around!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was wondering, what is that dot print on the top square in your kaleidoscope picture?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh those sawtooth stars! I love the colors! I just tried my hand at a couple of them too... can you believe it was the first time I sewed a non-wonky star? I still prefer the wonky ones... but these are definitely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is one impressive list of stuff. Of course, I'm already behind in the QAL and it's only going to get worse because I have visitors this weekend. Oh, well. Slow and steady, right?

    I'm really loving those bright little sawtooth stars! A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What fun - all your work is beautiful! I am excited to move along on the Kaleidoscope.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looking good. I need to get working on you QAL... I am still at the cutting stage. Luckily it is summer and tomorrow I have a sew day with the SMQG so I should be able to get all caught up :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looking good. I need to get working on you QAL... I am still at the cutting stage. Luckily it is summer and tomorrow I have a sew day with the SMQG so I should be able to get all caught up :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Vow - too many beautiful things ... I love the warm/cool quilt - it's so colourful and happy and triangles are always so great!
    I made hexagons with that same tutorial and it helpped me a lot! And stars - my latest small project had the same star.
    It's always enjoy to see all your beautiful works!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can't believe you are contemplating more HSTs! Your blocks are really lovely, especially your FW ones!

    ReplyDelete
  28. they're all awesome - I especially like that HST craziness warm/cool layout. lots of visual interest to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So many projects - some days it must be hard to decide what to work on! ;-)

    Your warm/cool quilt is so colourful, I love it.

    I am looking forward to hearing what Alex said!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm going to have to quit visiting your blog... the ideas!!!

    Gorgeous projects there lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ack! Reading all of these WIP posts is making me homesick for my sewing machine. Loving your warm/cool progress! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's instructions, even though I won't be able to work on it for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, you have been productive!! I love how your Garden Prince quilt turned out - such beautiful colors in that fabric line. Fun that both our do good stitches circles were doing hexagons this month! Looks like you have some really fun bee blocks coming up this month, too - love the +/X blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lots of goodies happening at your place! And everything is lovely! I really like your FW blocks. Makes me want to do it but I'm determined to finish some things first. Sigh...maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! You do such beautiful work! I especially like your hexagon blocks and Warm Cool Quilt Along quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Did I really not comment on your WIP Wednesday post yet? Well, your Warm/Cool quilt is crazy gorgeous! So bright and pretty!

    Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat