Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WiP Wednesday #36

Last week, I was feeling a little unproductive - I think I got a bit overwhelmed by all that I had going on, and was definitely suffering from my usual quilty ADD.  This week, I've re-focused my energies, gone back to my usual list-making to keep myself on track (and not just for sewing!), and I have a lot of progress to show for it, so I'm a happy camper this week.


Finished:
Special Delivery - GO! Baby Offset Diamond Pillow tute

A finished diamond pillow!

Birdie Stitches July block - Shown here with all the other blocks, July's is at the bottom.

Birdie Stitches blocks Jan-July

Still going:
Kaleidoscope QAL - Wrapping up my quilt today, I hope - just a little bit of the binding left to finish, and then I'll pop it in the washer and dryer for that fabulous crinkly look.  Here's a sneak peek!

DSCN5291

Warm/Cool QAL - There are two mountains of fabric, just waiting to turn into HSTs to make this quilt top from last week turn into a queen sized quilt.  Am I crazy?  Ask me again after I assemble these 168 more HSTs.   ;)

DSCN5234

Farmer's Wife QAL - This week's blocks were a little maddening, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, ultimately.  I'm looking forward to the easy-peasy blocks coming up next week!

FW Blocks 1-18

4x5 Modern Quilt Bee - I've worked up one sample block so far, and I'm debating whether or not I want to turn one of my other sketches into a block or if I just want to roll with this one.  What do you think about this block?

First stab at a 4x5 Block


Single Girl quilt - The LQS that told me they were getting a long-arm back in May hasn't returned my recent calls, so I think it's safe to say that I'm either going to have to get up some gumption and quilt this king-sized bad boy myself or save up some money and send this off to be quilted.  I'm leaning toward doing it myself, just because I'm a control freak and really enjoy the quilting process, but I suppose we'll see how this turns out.  I'm going to work on finishing up my other quilty wip's before tackling this one.

String Me Along bee quilt - I've gotten all but one block back at this point, so I'm still waiting on one more to return before I tackle this one.

For the Love of Solids swap - Sign-ups wrap up today and only a few spots remain, so hurry up and hop on over!!  Megan and I plan to work on swap matches this weekend, hopefully, and I know I'm looking forward to stalking my little swaplings to find the best matches!

New:
Summer Sampler Series - I'm a sucker for my friends' quilt-alongs, so you knew it was only a matter of time before I caved in to join Lee's quilt-along with Kate and Faith!  I've decided to use the blocks to make my 4x5 quilt bigger, because it's going to be a holiday gift for a dear friend, and well, bigger is always better in my book when it comes to quilts!

Ryan's Character Quilt - Yes, I know I've made this child three quilts in the last year, but for some reason, I'm feeling compelled to make another!  I think coming across a bunch of Spiderman and Toy Story charm squares in the 12/$1 bin at one of my LQS's that sealed the deal.  I'm planning on some super simple patchwork of his favorite characters mixed in with some solids for a fun little throw. I figure some good old-fashioned patchwork would make for a great quilt to practice some other free-motion-quilting designs, too.

DSCN5303

WiP Wednesday #36 Recap
Last week's total: 9
Finished this week: 2
New this week: 2
This week's total: 9

So, what are you sewing up this week?  Link it up over at Freshly Pieced!

Have you entered my giveaway for a GO! Baby and three dies of your choice?  Hop right over here for that giveaway and good luck!

32 comments:

  1. wow!!!! productive would be the understatement!!! I love the birdie stitches !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 4x5 sample block is awesome! I love grey and blue together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elisabeth! Now your have been productive even for last week! I love to see your works - they are always so beautiful and interesting! Thank you again for inspiration and energy!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had a great week!
    It's always so much fun to see all of your beautiful projects. I just love the loopy quilting on the Kaleidoscope quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Productive is an understatement... I really love the diamond pillow, will have to tackle it without the Go cutter sadly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm *pretty sure* that both Sue's Bay Area Sewing (Palm Harbor) and Country Bears and Quilts (Clearwater) offer longarm rental. I'm more sure about Country Bears and Quilts, but I think they both do. Worth a try! (http://www.countryquiltsandbears.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! My oldest would FLIP for those superhero charms!! He asked me last night during tuck in to make him a Batman quilt and that was after he pointed out to me I had yet to make his younger brother a quilt. Kiddo quilts are in high demand! I wish I could get some of that fabric...who makes it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, you did get your mojo back! I love everything!
    The quilting on your kaleidoscope quilt looks beautiful. I can't get over that stack of HST's! Hope you have a good movie or podcast to listen to while working on those!

    Good luck deciding what to do with the quilting on your king size. I'd be happy to share my quilters info if you decide to 'outsource'. She's fantastic and reasonable. Now that I've used her, I don't want to do my own quilting anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of lovely work there but my favourite is still the Diamond Pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the modern block, I'd roll with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your productivity never ceases to amaze me! :) Guess I had better get to work. By the way, your quilts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You have gotten a lot done! Way to go!! I love that diamond pillow, and I can't wait to see your finished Kaleidoscope!! Yea!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your 4x5 block is great! Love the quilting you are doing on your kaleidoscope!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! I don't even know where to start! Loving those fun loops on you kaleidoscope quilt, can't wait to see more! I loooove that 4x5 block! I must have missed your FW blocks this week, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything looks beautiful, as always! That superhero quilt is going to be pretty fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pillow is *fantastic*! I really like the 4x5 block and think it's a good choice to go with :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love everything! All gorgeous! I have some scraps of Batman and Superman fabric if you would want any for Ryan's quilt. It's nice fabric, not the crinkly hard kind that licensed stuff is usually made of. Let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool! Your Birdie Stitches looks awesome on the design wall.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow!! nice quilting...everything is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  20. Busy, busy, busy! I really like the block you came up with for your 4x5 bee.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad you are summer sampler-ing it!!! I love the colors of the 4x5 block and the pieced center... I think the corners being different is a little distracting. I think if they were gray and different patterns, it might calm the block down a little bit, but that is just me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your kaleidoscope quilting! Sweet loops.and R is going to flip over the quilt you're making him.

    Using the summer sampler blocks to make your 4x5 quilt bigger is awfully smart. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have been busy. I really like that 4 x 5 block, its very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, Mojo! So much awesomeness going on here - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  25. you rocked the project list this week. way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I love everything. That bee block is beautiful and I love your FW blocks! I really love that pillow too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like your Modern Quilt Bee block. I think you should roll with it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is so annoying about the LQS and the long arm... maybe you can find another one even if it requires a trip?

    Love the fabrics for the character quilt, that is going to be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. When I look at what you've finished I feel like such a slacker! I love you block for the 4x5 bee. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  30. E, your kaleidoscope quilting is INSANELY AWESOME. I just love those little loops! And your stitches are incredible! Nice job!

    Your 4x5 block is lovely, I wish I were in your hive! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Elisabeth, I think your pillow is really beautiful. May I invite you to link it to my "pillow talk" at my blog? It would be a very welcome and inspiring entry and there is even something to win. It doesn't matter if it is not from September. I would appreciate it!
    http://farbstoff-bridge.blogspot.com/p/pillow-talk.html
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat