Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Gradation quilt: in the new issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited

I love getting quilty magazines in the mail. This week I received a copy of the new summer issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited in the mail. I love that magazine! The photography is always so stunning, and I always feel inspired as I flip through the pages. I set the magazine in the car to enjoy during my wait in the kindergarten car line, only to be surprised when I saw one of my own quilts in it! I can't believe I forgot about this quilt!

Gradation - full shot

Gradation is a quilt that I sketched and sewed up quite a long while ago - back in February of this year, right before my son's birthday, to be exact. I wanted to play with color and values and try to create some repeating geometric patterns while sticking with simple piecing. There's nothing more complicated than a half-square triangle in this quilt in terms of piecing!

Gradation - in Modern Quilts Unlimited

This is the quilt I was working on earlier this year when my Viking started acting up on me, with weird stitches and such. This quilt was the first I really sewed up with my Juki, and it's when I fell fully in love with piecing on my her, so it's got a special place in my heart as a result.

Phew, one deadline project nearly done

The fabrics in the quilt are a wide assortment of Art Gallery Fabrics in shades of pink and blue - from Oval Elements, Nature Elements, Splendour 1920, Lilly Belle, Luxe in Bloom, Lace Elements, Modernology, Floressence, Carnaby Street, and Rhapsodia. You can find lots of these prints still in stock at Intrepid Thread and Hawthorne Threads.

Gradation - in Modern Quilts Unlimited

Quilt Stats
name: Gradation
size: 48" x 60"
pattern: Gradation by yours truly in the summer 2013 issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited
fabrics: from Oval Elements, Nature Elements, Splendour 1920, Lilly Belle, Luxe in Bloom, Lace Elements, Modernology, Floressence, Carnaby Street, and Rhapsodia
quilting: back-and-forth wiggle FMQ in white 50 wt Aurifil
binding: Art Gallery Nature Elements in gray

Gradation - detail

And I'm super excited to share that the wonderful Lynne of Lily's Quilts has written my first official book review, which has me positively tickled! Pop on over to her blog to see it! Have a great day :)

12 comments:

  1. So I first read the title of the quilt to be "graduation," and I didn't think much of it. I thought oh it would be a good "graduation" gift quilt. Of course most non quilty people think of grandma's quilts, and this would be perfect pattern/ color combo for a teen heading off to college. Well anyway I got the title wrong, but it is beautiful, and would make the perfect color/pattern combo for a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really beautiful quilt, and congrats to you on having it in MQU magazine!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be ever so proud to have your beautiful quilt displayed in MQU magazine. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful. Congratulations on having it in MQU magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My copy's digital but I haven't had a chance to read it yet! Another thing to look forward to. :-)

    Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely book review that was posted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the quilt, too. I like the different patterns the eye sees.
    I'd like to purchase more magazines like that but over here they're quite difficult to get. And my try on an online purchase (that means online magazine <- forgot about the right term) was quite a disappointment. I won't be doing this again soon. So I just admire the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat