Wednesday, October 3, 2012

WiP Wednesday: The one with the mad dash

It's officially chaos in my sewing room now, as it's barely a week before Sewing Summit now, with boatloads of Sewing Summit-related deadlines approaching fast, as well as a few other non-Sewing Summit deadlines! Eeek! How did it get to be October 3rd already??? Didn't school just get started?? It's going to be a week with a lot of late nights and early mornings, clearing off my sewing plate this next week, but I know I can do it. Now I just need to stop signing up for more deadlines!!

Working on:
Red and white zig-zag - I spent the bulk of the last several days on this project, making 528 half-square triangles and then stitching all of them together. The quilt top is done and basted and ready for some simple straight-line quilting. Stay tuned for a finish on this one soon!

IMG_0722rt

IMG_0738rt

Sidekick tote - I really love how this bag is coming together so far. I'm waiting on some strap hardware to come, so I've saved this fun project for when I'm so tired of HSTs that I want to scream ;) Isn't that pocket just darling? Can't wait to finish this one off and put it to good use!

Sidekick in progress!

Sewing Summit class samples - I finished quilting all of the samples, and I'm really excited to share them soon. The binding is half on all of my four samples now, so I'm in the homestretch here. Just need to spend a few nights on the couch, catching up on TV with the husband and hand-stitching to wrap these projects up.

Time to pick some binding...

IMG_0729rt

New this week:
Pillow Talk Swap - After sitting out several rounds, I'm back on the wagon for the ninth round of the Pillow Talk Swap. Every time I sit out a round, I watch from the sidelines and marvel over the things that are being made in the swap. I'm glad I'm participating this time around, it's going to be a lot of fun! I've gotten my partner's information and stalking has officially begun. I've got a good sense of what she's into, I think, now I just need for inspiration to strike. Here's the mosaic I made to inspire my partner, of some of my current faves...

ptsround9

4x5 Modern Quilt Bee - Now that the summer is over, the 4x5 Modern Quilt Bee is back in session (and full), with shorter rounds, which I think will be nice. Short and sweet, but with plenty of time to make blocks. I'm excited about this one, it's always fun to see the amazing things that everyone makes in this bee.

Bee block for Katie - Katie sent some gorgeous Field Study and Indie fabrics this month for the {Sew} Beautiful bee, for feather blocks. I'm looking forward to working on this one this weekend, hopefully.

Bee block for Cindy - Cindy is working on a Halloween quilt in the Stash Trad bee, and we're all making Great Granny blocks for her, in shades of black, purple, orange, grey and lime green. I've never made anything Halloween-themed before, so this should be a fun one!


I haven't forgotten about these, but haven't had time for them either:
Washi tunic
Space Dust quilt

So now, it's back to my sewing machine, time is slipping away from me super fast this week!! What are you sewing this week? Write it up and share it at today's specially guest hosted WiP Wednesday, with host Debbie of A Quilter's Table.

26 comments:

  1. Your sampler block is beautiful. I've been wanting to make a chevron quilt but those HST's are scaring me - 528 you say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 528 of the same HSTs would make me nuts. Love your star block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree you're a bit crazy with all those HST, but then again I just started a 672 flying geese quilt. What's a mad quilters to do? Lovely projects Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! That is an amazing quilt top!!! I adore red and white quilts....on my long long list!!! Have a wonderful time a the summit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Grief woman! You need a vacation! LOL

    The red and white quilt is going to be amazing (probably drive you nuts too, but oh well! ;O))!

    Your quilting just rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am making a red ad white quilt. How funny. Mine *only* has 480 HSTs. I'm so sick of them. It's the only thing I've worked on because I'm making it for someone. Almost finished though!

    Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such lovely projects! I especially love that red/ white HSTs quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great projects -- I love your sewing summit class sample. That paper piecing is gorgeous. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that tote and the class sample looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Zig zag!! and I really Love the Sidekick tote!!! SO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know, and it's already Wednesday! I love your sidekick progress. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you don't mind me asking you a question here about a previous tutorial...but I am finally attempting the mini bookshelf and one thing has me totally stumped. If I put the books and background right sides together and sew the seam across the bottom...well...that just doesn't work. Do I seam each individual book at the top in this step? I must be a bit dense (Or a lot dense) but I just can't figure this out. Thank you so much for all your great posts and I would be so grateful if you could help me out. I will just sit here and drink coffee until I get this right! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great progress but - oh boy - you're busy! Best of luck with the summit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a LOT of red and white HSTs! I think I would go crazy very easily with those. And didn't you make this same quilt once before, or am I misremembering? What's this one for?

    The Sewing Summit samples look beautiful! Sorry I can't make any more! Too swamped!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the pocket on the sidekick tote. Very cool. Will your strap be the color of the body of the bag or another fun pattern?
    cheers!
    k

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got it! Thanks again for sharing this. Love your current projects!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything here is just gorgeous! You make me want to make one of each of those pillows in your mosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Uh, yes, totally with you on that date thing, leaving in a week, what the...?

    Loving all your makes though, good luck with all the deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That paper piecing sample is gorgeous! I wish I could go to SS and see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your zig zag pattern with HSTs looks way easier than the zig zag pattern I decided to use. Also, that bag is amazing! Will the pattern be available?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hear you on the race to the finish for Sewing Summit and all the bees and swaps...my head is spinning. I am in my first round of the Pillow swap...I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! You've got a lot on your plate. Hoping to meet you in person at Sewing Summit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a crazy week!! I love your sidekick tote, very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How I would love to be able to attend the Sewing Summit. Too bad, I live far away!!!
    Anyway, I love HST red-white quilt you are preparing. Cant wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your compass! I am so jealous, wish I was going to sewing summit

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat