Monday, October 29, 2012

Bloggers Quilt Festival: It's still my favorite

I had a hard time deciding what to show for Bloggers Quilt Festival. I missed the spring edition, so I had quite a few quilts to choose from, but ultimately, I only wanted to show one, my favorite quilt, my mariner's compass mini quilt titled A Light in the Dark.

This quilt was inspired by my love of text fabrics. When I first saw Violet Craft's Madrona Road line at Spring Market, I knew I had to do something with her charcoal/black memoir print. I bought several yards of it when it first came out, and it sat unused for a bit, trying to think of a fun way to use it. As I started preparing mini samples for Sewing Summit, I decided I wanted to tackle a few Mariner's Compass blocks, and I thought the print would make a great background. I spent a good bit of time carefully cutting and placing each piece so that it would give a sense of movement throughout the quilt.

A Light in the Dark - mini

Using a black print for the background made me think of Amish quilts and their often vibrant use of solids, so I used some of V & Co's Simply Color ombres, which gave me the ability to cut several different shades of each color I was using from one single cut off the bolt.

A Light in the Dark - side view

While I adore the piecing in this quilt, I think the free-motion quilting might be my absolute favorite part! The four different blocks in the quilt each have their own different styles of free-motion quilting accenting the different solids. The background is quilted in black thread, in a micro stipple, throughout the quilt.

The Which Way North block features four different FMQ techniques: a simple FMQ echo on the blue outer points, an infinity FMQ on the lightest pink spokes, a wiggle FMQ on the darkest pink spokes, and a pulley styled FMQ on the medium pink outer points. That pulley style was so much fun to do, I definitely want to try it on something larger soon!

A Light in the Dark - block #4

The Kaleidoscope block shows two different styles of FMQ: a simple FMQ echo on the green, blue, and pink points, and a wiggle on the light and dark orange points. I love how colorful this block is.

A Light in the Dark - block #1

The Wheel of Fortune block is quite possibly my favorite, because of the scale of the quilting. These are only 12" blocks, and some of the segments of the block are as small as 3/4" wide. The orange, blue, green, and purple points have a simple echo FMQ, the light aqua points have a teeny-tiny infinity FMQ stitch, the medium aqua is done in a teeny-tiny wiggle FMQ, and the light orange is also done in a wiggle.

A Light in the Dark - block #3

The Spinning Points block uses two styles of FMQ: a simple echo FMQ for the purple points and a wiggle FMQ for the aqua points. I love the icy cool feel the aqua and purple give this block.

A Light in the Dark - block #2

I think what really makes the quilting work on this mini is the coordinating threads for the quilting. This is the first project I've ever done that on, and after seeing the way Angela Walters' quilting gives such depth and texture by using coordinating threads, I might just be a convert to doing that. I say might because burying all those starts and stops in eleventy-million different shades of thread was a bit irksome, to say the least! But I love the final effect, so I suspect I'll be using coordinating thread in the future. Maybe not always, but it feels good to have strayed away from my usual white quilting thread.

Name: A Light in the Dark
Finished quilt measures: 24" square
Special techniques used: foundation paper piecing
Quilted by: yours truly, using various threads including Aurifil 50 wt, Madeira thread and Gutermann thread in many different colors and styles of FMQ
Best category: Doll/mini quilt, Home machine quilted quilt
BQF Number: 397

Amy's Creative Side

38 comments:

  1. Just beautiful - I understand why it's your favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been hard to pick just one but no surprise it was this one. Seeing it in person was a real treat - simply spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love how you used the text fabric to add movement. genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really lovely and your fmq is especially impressive - love the effort you put into the coordinating thread. I agree - it rally makes the quilt in this instance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's stunning, Elizabeth. I can see why it is your favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful use of solids and text print !
    Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! Love the dark background with the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is still one of my favorites. I love the secondary pattern the background fabric creates with the text print.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!! I'd say you picked my favorite of yours too! I was taught to use coordinating thread for FMQ-ing, and am rapidly becoming a "thread collector" LOL! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's truly stunning, the vibrancy of the fabrics and combinations you have used are wonderful. Love the text background, and what fabulous quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a beautiful mini, and I love the way you've made a pattern from the text in the background. The FMQ is really effective too. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this mini, it is so striking with the texty background.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous. I love the mariner's compass block to begin with, and i love what you've done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I love this! I absolutely love text fabrics when used as backgrounds, and the bright solids up against it are quite striking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this quilt! I'm sponsoring the home machine quilted quilt so I hope yours wins!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! I can definitely see why this is your favorite! It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's very pretty. Colors and quilting just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Elizabeth,
    This quilt is wonderful ~ love the use of the text fabric as the background ~ really makes the stars pop!
    elsa

    ReplyDelete
  19. The precision on this quilt is just amazing. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! This is so striking and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is one of my favorites too. Simply exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful. It's striking from a distance but the quilting takes it to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very beautifully done!! I especially love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a beautifully pieced and quilted quilt. Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow. Wow. I love the blocks and am even more impressed with the directionality of the background print!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how your careful placement of the background pieces creates an additional pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the way the lines of text form secondary stars.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is lovely Elizabeth! I am in awe of your piecing. Love the background fabric you chose....looks great again the bright and complex blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an absolutely stunning quilt! I love the use of the text fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the depth displayed in the mariners cross. awesome idea. almost give a 3D effect. Nice to meet someone passionate about their work.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Everything about this quilt is brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations on the win! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations Elizabeth, your quilt looks amazing! I love how the colors pop on the black&white background!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat