Friday, October 19, 2012

A love affair with strings

I had a lot of fun getting ready for Sewing Summit, and sewing up some fun samples to show the things that can be done with foundation paper piecing and string piecing. String piecing is one of the most laid-back ways to foundation paper piece a block and it can be so fun to pull a bunch of random strings together and find that they work together beautifully. String piecing can be so much fun! When I'm piecing, I always hang on to my strings and try to put them to use in string projects. It's like a fun challenge, to try to use up my strings. At the moment, they're awfully overflowing, even with these string projects that I've made for Sewing Summit.

My overflowing strings bin


The first sample I started on began as a stack of string blocks, in shades of coral, lime, and teal. I didn't really have a plan in mind, until I decided that I wanted to make a string-pieced zig-zag quilt, so I added some Kona Coal to the string blocks and went to town. I love how this quilt turned out! I love the ways the colors pop off the coal background and the gorgeous 40wt Aurifil variegated gray thread I used for FMQ'ing.

String Zig Zag - a Sewing Summit sample


quilt stats
name: String Zig
size: 32" x 48"
pattern: simple string-pieced zig-zag, by yours truly
fabrics: so many, in shades of lime, coral, and teal
quilting: all-over stipple in variegated gray 40 wt Aurifil thread, by yours truly

Next, I worked on a spiderweb mini, using some fun Quilter's Linen in Buttercup, and various green, gray and navy blue strings. I love making spiderwebs, and this one was especially fun because I really love this color combo. Spiderwebs can be a really fun way to put a twist on string piecing.

Spiderweb quilt - a Sewing Summit sample


quilt stats
name: Spiderweb Mini
size: 22"
pattern: simple string-pieced zig-zag, by yours truly
fabrics: Simon + Kabuki's Juicy Blossoms, Anna Maria Horner's Innovent Crush, Moda's Half Moon Modern, Jenean Morrison's Silent Cinema, Vanessa Christensen's Simply Color, Cosmo Cricket's Tailor Made, Lotta Jansdotter's Echo, Jessica Leavitt's Kingdom, Denyse Schmidt's Flea Market Fancy, Denyse Schmidt's Katie Jump Rope, Denyse Schmidt's Greenfield Hill, Dear Stella's Lanikai, Lizzy House's 1001 Peeps, Ann Kelle's Remix, Lizzy House's Castle Peeps, Monaluna's Mingle, RK Quilter's Linen in Buttercup
quilting: micro-stipple in yellow 50wt Aurifil thread, as well as wiggle stitches in coordinating 50 wt Aurifil threads

The last sample I sewed up was this String X mini, using some of my last scraps of MoMo's It's a Hoot, paired with some Azure Quilter's Linen. I first sewed a String X block in the String Me Along bee last year, and simply improvised the dimensions on this one as I went, based on what scraps I had left. I adore this fabric line, and I'm down to my very last scraps of it, so this particular sample is extra special to me :)

String X mini - a Sewing Summit sample


quilt stats
name: String X mini
size: 18"
pattern: simple string-pieced zig-zag, by yours truly
fabrics: RK Quilter's Linen in Azure and MoMo It's a Hoot
quilting: micro-stipple in azure 50wt Aurifil thread, as well as wonky triangle continuous line quilting in 50wt white Aurifil thread and infinity continuous line quilting in 50wt white Aurifil thread

Don't forget, you can enter to win a copy of this year's edition of International Quilt Festival: Quilt Scene right here, up until Sunday! Have a fabulous weekend :)

15 comments:

  1. I am a total string addict too.
    I love what you have made, so much so that I can't even pick a favourite. They are all perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that zigzag. Would love to know about your process of making it. I too have a container of strips! Thanks for showing. SChalle171@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, the zigzag is awesome. I have a ton of strings laying around, yet I've only done one string project. Would be a nice diversion from the WIP list! HA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a love affair with strings too. I guess that is why I just can't throw those skinny scraps away!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought to separate out just the strings from my scraps. That is a great idea... obviously, you've found such a good use for them with your samples!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that spiderweb one. I so want to make one. I, too, am a string-aholic (Hi Jean!) LOL. I made a purse using my strings, and I love carrying around little bits of my favorite fabrics from past projects. It's like a memory quilt almost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, these projects look amazing!!!! I especially love the String Zig, what a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I love the string zig.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all just lovely! I really like the zig zag and the String X mini! Great spider web also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love your string quilts. I have to hurry up and finish my currents projects so that I can make one myself. I have always been drawn to the scrap quilts, and I think it must be because that is what I grew up with. I even have a quilt that my great-grandmother made in her later years. Before my grandmother died, she let all of us select from the stack of quilt tops that her mother had made. It is funny now that I think of it. I chose a pretty top and one that I thought was so ugly that it had charm. The pretty one is still just a quilt top, but I was so drawn to the other one that I made it into a quilt. She had even pieced pieces. I tied it because of all the seams. You can see that she used used fabric. I have never used it because it had a smell, and I think the fabrics would be pretty fragile. My great-grandmother died just before my 3rd birthday, but I do remember her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your strings look awesome! You are so creative. The zig zags are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my heavens!! LOVE love love all of them! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all fab, but I particularly love the zig zags

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your quilts! Your zigzag is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat