Friday, October 5, 2012

Z is for zig zag

I'm slowly knocking items off my Finish Before Sewing Summit checklist, and I'm really happy about the finish I'm sharing with you this morning. Ta da!!

Red and white zig zag quilt


I've just finished up my second red and white zig zag custom order quilt, yay! I've gone down this road before, so I knew what I was getting into, but wow, I truly underestimated how monotonous it can be to piece a zillion half-square triangles! For the record, there's 528 of them, pieced via my favorite method (the 4-in-1), pieced into 24 rows.

IMG_0722rt

IMG_0738rt

I stuck with truly simple straight-line quilting on this quilt, quilting strictly in the white zigs here, creating a cool outline effect. The quilt has been pre-washed for its new owner, to hopefully trap any possible loose dyes. I just love the crinkly texture of a quilt after it comes out of the wash!

Red and white zig zag - detail shot


Inspired by Holly's recent photography post chock full of tips, I stuck this quilt on my bed for a photo shoot, got everything dusted and looking lovely...only for a huge thunderstorm to roll in and totally take away my sunshine! I tried to internalize Tim Gunn telling me to make it work, and pulled it together as best I could.

Red and white zig zag - overhead view


I'm so excited to get this quilt packed up and shipped off to its new owner hopefully later today! I hope you all have a wonderful Friday!

14 comments:

  1. Great finish Elizabeth! the red and white is so striking, I'm sure you've seen your fill of HSTs for a little while at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very pretty. I hope you don't have nightmares about red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt. I love the red and white. Someday I will make a all red and white, so Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome, Elizabeth! I'm sure the new owner will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so beautiful! What is the 4-1 method? I made a bunch of HSTs a while back for some pillows, and anything that would have sped up the process would be great to learn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is a "plain" pattern, but it looks awesome. Your dark bed really sets it off well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, you are a far better woman than I tackling that many HSTs! It looks fab though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this!! The colors and designs are great. Me want :).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat