Monday, October 8, 2012

A few Sewing Summit finishes

It's just a few more days before I head out to Salt Lake City for Sewing Summit 2012, and I'm super excited. I'm checking stuff off my To Do list left and right and trying my best to stay focused and get everything ready.

My Sidekick Tote

I finished up my Sidekick tote this weekend, and I absolutely adore it. I just love this pattern, by the fabulous Anna of Noodlehead, and I'm so proud that I've officially installed my first recessed zipper. This bag feels like such a "real" bag - like my Weekender, it's the kind of bag that feels professional, like a bag you'd find in a store. I used some fabrics that I really love - Madrona Road Memoir in White for the lining, Quilter's Linen in Gray for the exterior, with Madrona Road Sprout in Straw and Madrona Road Broken Herringbone in Blue for the pocket, with some random bias tape I had in my stash to line the raw edges of the pocket.

My Sidekick Tote - recessed zipper!

Hindsight being 20/20, there's a few things I'd do differently with this bag. I think I'd like for the body of the bag to have a little bit more heft to it, so I'd probably choose to use a home dec weight fabric, instead of a quilting cotton. I'd probably also add some Pellon SF101 (Shape Flex) to the interior fabric as well, for just a little bit of extra body. I did use some Pellon Fusible Fleece for the strap, which I think was a good idea, but rather than interfacing the whole strap, I'd insert a skinny piece of fleece the final width of the strap. I love the adjustable strap, but with all the extra fleece I've got on the strap, it's a wee bit stiff. Aside from those minor changes, I really love the shape of this bag, and I'm definitely planning on making one or two of these bags for Christmas gifts this year.

My Sidekick Tote - 2

I also made some bunting for the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild Mixer at Sewing Summit. Amy had this fantastic idea to decorate the bar with boatloads of bunting, and lots of attendees are bringing bunting to help with this. The best part is that it's been turned into a swap as well - bring one bunting, come home with another! For my bunting, I used a package of double-fold bias binding as well as a ton of Anna Maria Horner string scraps that I pieced into triangles. I really love how my bunting turned out, and I'm really excited to bring it out to Salt Lake!

Bunting for Sewing Summit

What are you up to this Monday morning? Next on my To Do list is to tackle my inbox...but first I need some coffee! I'm going to try out a recipe for my current favorite Starbucks treat, a Salted Caramel Mocha, wish me luck :)

12 comments:

  1. Love the bag! Just went and bought the pattern. Hope mine turns out as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quilters linen. Gorgeous! Have fun at summit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag looks great Elizabeth! So jealous I won't be joining all of you. Have a wonderful time. Grab a corset apron pattern for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 more sleeps. Can't wait.
    Your bag and bunting are so cute. I love that recessed zipper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new bag, looking forward to seeing it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bag...the colors are great!
    Toni
    www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bunting is awesome and if that recipe is good please feel free to share - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bunting is awesome and if that recipe is good please feel free to share - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Sidekick tote turned out great! I would guess your strip will loosen up as you use the bag & you'll end up glad you added as much fusible fleece as you did. The bag I'm using now as two layers of batting in the strap, which I thought seemed really bulky at first, but now that I've been using it a few months, I wish I had added more.

    Have a safe trip & a fun time at SS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bag! You're doing great things with that memoir print!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, cute bag. I've been avoiding buying the pattern ~ I've just got too many bags ~ think I'll have to get it after all!
    I'm off for a walk in a few minutes and then vacuum the house so I can put together a bunch of blocks I made 2 years ago!
    Happy Day to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat