Monday, October 10, 2011

Pouch-a-Palooza

Getting on the plane to Salt Lake City on Friday, I felt an awful lot like Santa Claus.  My Weekender bag was filled to brim not only with some hand-sewing projects to keep me busy on the plane, but also with some various handmade goodies for some special swaps I set up before I left.  I wound up making zippered pouches for all of my swappees, and after all of those zips, I'm feeling pretty good about how to install zippers, finally!  Afraid of zippers, no more :)

The first person I had a pouch for was Megan, my co-mama in the For the Love of Solids swap.  I chose to use colors to match her lovely Weekender bag, grays and yellows, and I opted to make her a large pouch to carry her hand-sewing tools.  On one side, I went with a simple frame block, and embroidered it to jazz it up.  On the other side, I had intended to make a kaleidoscope block, but I used the wrong template - perhaps that will teach me to label my darned templates.  I decided to try to make what I did work, and I really like the end result.  It's got an improv feel to it, and I think Megan's a fan, too.

DSCN6948

DSCN6947

Lee was next up in pouch-a-palooza.  It's no secret that Lee and I are great bloggy pals, but after finally meeting in person at the Sewing Summit, I'm happy to call her a good friend, too.  I adore Lee's work, especially the way she uses color, and knowing she's a fan of Treasures and Tidbits, I chose to use some of the super fun, bright fabrics from that collection for her pouch.  For one side, I did an x and + block, much like the one I did for my embroidery pouch a while back, but on the other side, I went with a pieced hexagon.  For some reason, when I think of Lee in quilting shapes, I think of a hexagon.  Why?  I have no idea, really, but I knew she would appreciate a pieced hexagon like this one.

DSCN6958

DSCN6957

The next pouch I tackled was for AnneMarie.  AnneMarie was one of my roommates at the Sewing Summit, and she was one of my earliest blog followers and supporters.  I'm so glad to call her my friend.  Since AnneMarie is in love with Bonnie & Camille's Ruby, and I happened to have a charm pack lying about, I decided to use that for her.  I also decided to do two very different sides for her pouch - one with a super traditional shoo fly block in miniature, and the other with a more improv, modern feel.  I added a little bit of hand quilting for good measure, too.

DSCN6931

DSCN6936

Last, but not least, of course, I made a pouch for my co-mama in the 4x5 Modern Quilt Bee, Amy.  Like a zillion other people, Amy loved the rail fence quilt Rita made a while back, and I used that for my inspiration, making some mini blocks to create the stair-step effect, and using some of my prized It's a Hoot scraps.   I had a hard time handing this one over, it's so darned cute.

DSCN7012


And now, I think I can officially say that I am probably done with zippers for a while...unless I decide to make some zippered pouches for the holidays, that is...

I'm still working on decompressing from the Sewing Summit, and I totally plan to share about all that fun really soon, after I unpack and jog my memory!  So many wonderful people and so much fun, definitely an awesome weekend :)

29 comments:

  1. They are all so great! you really took time to make them all perfect for their recipient! So sweet of you. can't wait to hear more about the summit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, so pretty! i love the keep calm stitching. what a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all lovely! But the miniature shoofly and the rail fence speak to me! So glad you had a great time, can't wait to hear all the deets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pouch-a-palooza post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a pouch machine! These are so fun. Can't wait to hear about your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So now isn't the time to tell you there is an awesome zippered sewing tote pictured in the new Fons and Porter Quilt mag? I'm not afraid of zippers, but this tote has zippers that go around corners and I'm not sure I will attempt that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love every one of these pouches! they are all sooo cute! i am going to finish up my pretty little pouch swap this week. excellent inspiration here elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful pouches, and made especially for each person. SO nice! Can't wait to hear your take on the Summit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all so awesome!! So glad to finally meet you in person, too. The weekend was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a good stalker! oH and a great friend!!!Thank you for my pouch - a ton of girls was commenting on it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are all gorgeous! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of your little bags are ADORABLE! That was so nice of you to make presents for everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them all, although I was super tempted to steal Amy's!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love them all, although I was super tempted to steal Amy's!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love my pouch, and I'm determined to start embroidering, so it'll be perfect!! Thanks, E!!! It was so wonderful hanging out with you and AM all weekend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous pouches! Looking forward to reading about the summit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pouches are so lovely. There are a few I'd gladly take if they don't want them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my land!! I LOVE each and every one of those pouches!! SO cute, and so thoughtful!! Way to go - Elizabeth, Queen of the zipper pouches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pouches look great. But please tell me how on earth did you get sewing needles on a plane? I've seen people knit but I'm sure when I wanna enter a plane with whatever kind of needles tey wont let me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous pouches, Elizabeth! I so wish I could've been there to meet all of you awesome friends in person!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are beautiful pouches - what a great way to get over a fear of zippers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome back! It sounds like everyone had a great time at the Summit. The pouches are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE the pouches and I so loved meeting you in person. I feel like we've mailed stuff to each other 5000 times, it was about time we met! you are super :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. my goodness that is a lot of zippers! Love the yellow and gray one with the embroidery on the back. I may have to frame that quote for my sewing room. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That first pouch has to be one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE all of them but especially the last one. They are all spectacular. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat