Friday, August 19, 2011

I'm definitely traveling handmade

I really, really love pouches.  I get so many compliments on this gorgeous one that I use every day - Michelle made it for me in the first round of the Pretty Little Pouch swap earlier this summer.

DSCN5617
Thank you, Michelle, you rock!!!

I've been kicking myself over not joining the second round of the Pretty Little Pouch swap, which is in the midst of wrapping up, so I decided to make myself a pouch for my hand-sewing tools.  I totally intend to use this pouch to tote my embroidery things around the house and to the Sewing Summit in less than two months (eek!).  Have you seen the awesome Travel Handmade series that they're hosting?  Jeni reviewed a great Simplicity duffel bag pattern and Megan reviewed a great tote bag pattern.  Megan and I are toying with the idea of an AB Weekender Bag sew-along for the two of us, because we both really want to make one for our big trip, and figure we can use all of the moral support we can get!


So, after drooling over all of the gorgeous pouches in this round of the Pretty Little Pouch swap, I decided to make one for myself, to tote all of my hand-sewing and embroidery do-dads around.  I picked out a fabulous stack of aquas (Riley Blake Wishing Flowers, Joel Dewberry Herringbone, It's a Hoot Aqua Check and Michael Miller Aqua Ta Dot, respectively), grays (both Ty Pennington), and a fun orange Katie Jump Rope print and got to work.

My huge embroidery pouch!

I made my current favorite quilt block for the front side, and then for the back side, I stitched up a simple 9-patch and bordered it with some Kona Coal and Kona Medium Grey.  I am loving this not-so-little pouch!  It finished up at 12" square, so it will be plenty big for my embroidery hoop and various other hand-sewing goodies.

DSCN5616

I also stitched up a pouch for my For the Love of Solids swap partner, using the same color scheme that I used for the miniquilt I'm also finishing, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I've stuffed it chock full of solids scraps, and I'm hoping this lovely package I'm putting together is going to really make my partner's day, when shipping opens up next month.

A little pouch for my partner

For the weekend, I'm working on laying out the rest of my warm/cool quilt, which I've been working on in fits and starts all summer.  I'm hoping that perhaps over the next week, I might actually finish this quilt top up once and for all.  Fingers crossed!  What are you working on this weekend?

DSCN5618

18 comments:

  1. I ADORE your aqua, orange and grey pouch! I also love your warm/cool quilt.

    Hexing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the orange and turquoise combo - I've been building a stash of those colors to one day turn into something fabulous. Good luck on the Warm/Cool quilt. I'm working on jaybird's Chopsticks pattern in deep purples, teal, turquoise, and magenta. Hopefully I'll get the top completed this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I love it all! Your pouch is fab. I will be watching to see if you guys do the AB bag- I am tempted but don't think my sewing skills are up to it yet.
    Your WC quilt looks wonderful too. Way to be productive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bags are great...how big are they? Great fabric choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh loving that pouch! Great idea, I need to make something like that, my stuff is usually just scattered all over the house! Also, I think I could just stare at your warm/cool blocks for hours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that orange/aqua/gray color combo! So fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little bags! Your quilt is looking great too, that is one of my favourite layouts for HSTs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pouch. I also love the layout of your warm/cool quilt, I love the frames.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The warm/cool quilt is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the pouches. I'm really digging the orange, aqua, and gray combo as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been busy! Great bags -- gotta make myself some.

    Yesterday I finished a moses-style doll bed to go with the dotty zig-zag quilt I made last week. This weekend I think I'll work on some doll clothes. I'll post pictures soon.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous pouches! I especially love the one for your embroidery. Great colors! I am hope, hope, hoping to get some time to do the quilting on my plus quilt. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why, those ARE pretty little pouches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pouches are fantastic. What a nice way to carry around your embroidery stuff. I'm using a pathetic plastic sandwich bag. Have to make myself a pouch ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking that I need to make a few of these pouches... now the embroidery... I might just be tempted. Thanks for the inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pouches turned out great!! :) I've got a couple on my list before the Summit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pouches are just lovely! And the warm cool quilt is shaping up so nicely :-) I must make a pouch for my embroidery stuff actually, great idea (any excuse, lol!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh your pouches look SO great! I love the solids one especially.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat