Tuesday, October 18, 2011

New beginnings

I love new beginnings.  I especially love new quilty beginnings.  There's something about starting a new project that just gets my juices flowing.  Yesterday, I found myself with a few minutes of free time, and naturally, I started doodling a few quilty ideas.  I know of a few new babies coming into the world in the next several months and I have to say, babies are the best excuse for a new quilting project.  I've been wanting for a while to write about a quilt from start to finish, every step of the process, so I'm going to try to tackle it with this pair of baby quilts.  Every time I do something with these two little quilts, I'm going to do my best to write about the process.


Both of these babies will be born early next year, and they're both boys.  I was a little bummed about that news, I love getting the rare opportunity to make something girlie, but at the same time, I enjoy working with boy fabrics.  When I first learned that these babies were boys, I went a-hunting for fabric, and instantly fell in love with a few different collections.  After much online shopping (and un-shopping, as I emptied my carts several times!), I decided on two collections that I actually picked up in person in SLC at the Sewing Summit - one is Aneela Hoey's lovely Little Apples collection and the other is Violet Craft's amazing Peacock Lane collection.  I also picked up some Kona solids to coordinate with both collections.


Now that I've got my fabrics picked out, I'm going to take a little time to choose a block or pattern to work with.  I don't always work this way, starting with the fabric first, but I do often start with the fabric when I work on baby quilts.  I also usually stick to one fabric collection when I work on baby quilts, though, looking back on my previous baby quilts.

I've got a pretty healthy quilty bucket list, full of blocks and ideas I've wanted to make for a long time, and I going to try to choose two of those blocks for this quilt.  But, since I like quilty math, I'm not going to go hunting for a pattern - rather I'm going to go hunting in my sketchbook and my Pinterest faves to see what pops out at me.

So what are you working on today?  I hope you're having a lovely week so far :)

21 comments:

  1. I love those peacock lane fabrics :)

    Hopefully I'm finishing the binding on my quilt tonight so I can start a new one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of those fabric lines! I do love the beginning of a project, the planning stages are sometimes just as fun as the actual piecing and quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Process posts sound great & I love your fabric choices. Currently I'm in the middle of a Swoon quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be fun, E! Great fabric collections. I'm working on finishing up my Pips quilt. You're right--it is so fun to work on something girlie! I just have the binding left (good thing, because I'm gifting it on Friday!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to write about the whole process, every step of the way. It'll be fun to follow along! Love your fabric selections!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just purchased some Little Apples too and can't wait to use them for something, I love those prints so much! I also got Peacock Lane and am surprised more people haven't used it in projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabric looks lovely - Little Apples is one of my favs. I'm waiting for a small package of some myself. Today I am working on finishing up my LAST block for my swoon quilt! Yipee!! Only 6 seams to go, then on to the sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My baby is due around that same time and I am having another boy....so I like you was a little disappointed to not be able to make something girly! I love your picks and never even thought about those two...I love them both for a boy. I recently ordered Fox Trails to make my little boy his own quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun fabrics! I like the process of designing a quilt almost more than making it.
    I can't wait to see what you come up with Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous fabric combos...I especially like the second ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous fabric choices - looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever you come up with will be great as always. I'll be following along in your process.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a few new quilt ideas floating around my head...hopefully I will get started on them soon.

    And I totally agree that new babies are the best excuse to start a new quilt. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love both sets of fabrics, looking forward to seeing what you do with them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent timing! I have 3 baby quilts to make in the next few months and the first one is for a boy (the other two won't be finding out). My friend wants something very neutral and I have been really struggling to come up with a selection of fabrics that look neutral without blurring into one. I'll look forward to seeing your progress as inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OOh Little Apples! I need to keep that in mind - I have two very pregnant friends who don't know if they're having boys or girls! So they'll be getting "congrats you have a 6 month old" quilts! lol.. The apples would be great for a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to see what you come up with! I'm just finishing a little apples quilt and I just ordered a ton of Peacock Lane. What great choices for quilts for boys that aren't the standard trains and cars stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love hearing about the process, so blog on! :D Love your fabric choices, especially little apples. I look forward to seeing what you'll do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have just bought some of the peacock lane fabrics too - they are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. can't wait to see what you make with that peacock lane. i got myself some too and can't wait to cut into it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat