Monday, October 24, 2011

October Bee Blocks

I spent some time this weekend working on getting some bee blocks done.  I'm normally the girl who likes to get bee blocks done at the beginning of the month, but between The Sewing Summit, writing a new bag tute, a travelling husband, and a munchkin who's starting to have a busy schedule, it's been a hairy couple of weeks and it's nearly the end of the month already.  Where did the time go???  I'm glad I took the time to get these taken care of, I'm looking forward to putting them in the mail on Monday.

do.Good.Stitches
This month, Becky is our quilter and she chose for us to do Lily's Quilts' LynneBobSquarePants block, which was fun to work on.  I've been wanting to try this block for a while, so it was nice to get to try it out...though, I made several mistakes along the way and had to rip out my stitches several times on the first block.  I think I was seriously lacking in caffeine when I worked on these blocks, because the tutorial is super easy to follow.  The fabrics for these blocks come from The Quilted Fish's new Delighted collection.

do.Good Stitches October blocks for the Bliss circle

{Sew} Beautiful Bee
Katie is working on a Christmas quilt and her fabric choices were great.  She sent a wonderful assortment of holiday fabrics and I decided to do a block with presents.  When it comes to the holidays, I'm one of those geeks who enjoys wrapping presents and buying cute wrapping paper and all that, so it just felt appropriate. I really enjoyed sketching out this block and putting it together, and I have to tell you...if you like this cute little block, I'll be sharing a tutorial for this one as a part of the 12 Days of Christmas Sampler blog hop next month, so stay tuned.

{Sew} Beautiful October block for Katie

String Me Along
This month, Sabrina asked for some simple paper-pieced string blocks, using some of Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane collection.  I had an especially rough day on the day I made these blocks and I found ripping the paper off the back to be super therapeutic.  It's funny, I have a bunch of Nicey Jane in my stash and I have a hard time finding the right project for it, but I really like how these string blocks look.  Hmm...perhaps a future project...

String Me Along October blocks 

I also made some progress on my baby quilts this weekend (okay, on one of them) and I'm hoping to share the process with you all tomorrow.  Have a great day!

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful blocks, Elizabeth!
    Love those Christmas packages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh, sorry those blocks gave you a hard time! there were lots of little pieces. I found i had to have them laid out right next to my machine.
    I love those presents!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little packages are totally inspirational! I like the way the Nicey Jane looks set out in those diagonal stripes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those BobSquarePants blocks but they look a little too complicated for me at the moment! Yours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the gift boxes those are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all so beautiful!!!! I have been ripping LOTS of stitches lately, must be because I am sewing more or at least that is what I tell myself :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blocks...all very different. I must agree that the gift/present blocks are my favorites : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a wide range of beautiful blocks!! I love the square pants blocks, I'm doing one of those quilts and when I'm in the mood for simple piecing, those get pushed aside. The gift box blocks are super cute and I love the strings. So soothing and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to make those presents!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all those blocks, all very different :o) Ripping the paper off paper piecing is therapeutic, especially when it's the head on a particularly awkward pattern ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to have those done - they're all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It took you until the 24th to finish your bee blocks? You slacker! (LOL - you know I haven't even started mine yet!) Those presents are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait until the sampler now!

    I haven't started my blocks yet. I better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! All your blocks are so wonderful! But today I'm special fond of the Christmas packets! Thank you for sharing your lovely idea!
    Have a lovely week!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your LynneBob block, that's on my list of to-do's also. I'm the same way about my Nicey Jane fabric. I love it so much but just can't seem to find the right pattern to use it with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful blocks! ALL of them. I think my faves are those Christmas package ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE your blocks...those colors are perfect!
    I still need to start a string quilt...seeing yours just might push me over the edge :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously beautiful blocks!! They are all so pretty! Love the presents! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the blocks, especially the pressies - so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Doesn't it feel great to get little projects like these completed? Makes you feel like you've accomplished SO much!

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love my presents so much!! They're perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those little Christmas present blocks are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh gosh, I am loving all of these!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat