Wednesday, January 5, 2011

WiP Wednesday #8

I'm pleased to report that there's been  a decent amount of progress around here.  Betsy 2.0 and I are definitely trying to become friends.  I still get a little intimidated every time I turn her on - she sounds like a dot matrix printer starting up when you turn her on - but I'm starting to make some progress and I'm definitely learning a lot as I go.

Finished projects:
Hug-bot pillow
AMH scrappy confetti pillow
Dresden Love pillow
January bee block for Cherie


Still in progress:
Birdie Stitches block (still working on the embroidery, but the block itself is finished) - I have managed to trace on my embroidery pattern at this point, which I did in front of the munchkin.  He is now desperate for me to finish this (and the other 11 blocks that will go with it) because he has claimed this quilt for himself.  Why?  Because there's a snowman on it.  That kid is obsessed with snow!


Twin robot quilts - I managed to get all of the fabric together for these quilts and hope to actually make some progress on them this week.

Sewing ninja - I traced the embroidery onto the block that I plan to use for this.  My husband spotted it last night after a 15 hour work day and asked me what the heck it was.  He thought it was Eeyore.  I'm hoping that was just his serious lack of sleep talking.  Just to be safe...I guess I better make sure not to use gray floss on this one so there's no further confusion...


Little to no progress:
Single Girl quilt - I suppose I can say I made slight progress - I officially have all the fabric I need for the quilt now, and I even have some super awesome templates to help me with this one.  As soon as I get those two pairs of twin quilts done, this project is going to be first in line!



Mom's placemats - I did talk to her this weekend about fabric selection, which was kind of hilarious.  She informed me that she wasn't into "fashion colors," as she calls them.  I asked her what she meant, and she said something about lime green.  So no lime green here.  I think I'm going to use some scraps from my French Provence quilt, I suspect those classic colors would be right up her alley.  I'm going to do a charm-bracelet-style layout for these two placemats.

String Me Along January block - Linda got these out in the mail yesterday, so I look forward to working on this little block when it gets here.  She's chosen a String X block, which has been on my To Try list for a while now, so I'm excited about this!



New projects:


Sliced coin twin quilts for my quilt along - Working on getting things started so that I can write them up for all of you guys.  The quilt along will start up toward the end of this month, and on Friday, I'll be posting a list of supplies.  If you're interested in joining the quilt along, come join the Flickr group.  Share your fabric auditions and any other thoughts you might have!





Sew Fresh Scrap Bee - I've joined yet another bee.  Really.  Before you go thinking that I've lost my mind, I have to say I really enjoyed working my butt off in a quilty kind of way over the holidays, and I learned so much by staying so busy, that I'm kind of trying to keep that momentum going.  That, and my husband is working some seriously crazy hours at the moment.  So, this is going to a charity bee, using scraps from Sew Fresh Fabrics.  I think this is an awesome way for a fabric shop to give back and I look forward to working with them on this.

Soft book for Matthew - My nephew's first birthday is at the end of this month, and I've decided to make him a little soft book.  I strongly suspect my ambition is getting the better of me on this project; I've already done some pretty elaborate sketches.

3x6 Bee - I'm in the first quarter of the 3x6 bee, which I think will be a lot of fun.  I'm still waiting to hear from one more group member before I start doing sketching to figure out what kind of block I'd like to do for everyone.

WiP #8 Recap
Last week's projects: 10
Finished: 4
New projects: 4
This week's total projects: 10

As a side note...how is it possible, with all of the trips to Jo-Ann's that I make for solids and for sewing machine questions (my dealer is inside my local Jo-Ann's), that I was unaware that I could order Kona by the bolt?  Seriously!  I was trying to pick up some serious yardage for my Single Girl quilt, and the girl at the cutting counter suggested I get an 8 yd bolt.  Naturally, I said yes, used my 40% off coupon, and was a very happy girl indeed.  It brought the price down to $3.75 a yard.  Wow.  I will definitely remember that in the future!  It's a special order, so it will take a week or so to get here, but that's okay by me.  It's not like I have any shortage of other projects to work on!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like you've got some great stuff going on! Congrats on your progress...and even more congrats on your awesome Kona bolt purchase, can't beat fabric for under $4/yrd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you've got a lot going on! Your Dresden looks beautiful. And I dont see eeyore in that embroidery at all.
    Oohh I knew you could get kona at Joann but didn't know you could order it. Ahhh that's dangerous knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow - you got a lot done. Putting me to shame!!

    The block is cute (but then I'm biased towards pink).

    So excited for the quilt along! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to steal your fabric for the Single girl quilt! LOVE IT! Your Dresden is so pretty. I need to try one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dresden is gorgeous! I love the width of the individual plates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. All these project makes me tired just thinking about them. Although, I probably have the same amount, but if I don't admit it to myself it's like they don't exisit, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great deal you got on the Kona! Your projects are all looking great... makes me want to sit down and get organized. How bad is it that I can't even make a WIP list?? LOL

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The snowman is so cute! I can't wait to see it finished!

    Love the fabrics for the single girl quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You continue to rock it, lady. : ) Those embroidered blocks are darling (and no, I don't think the sewing ninja looks like Eeyore, but that's hilarious that he thought so!) Loving the fabrics for the single girl, I can't wait to see that one come together!

    Your poor son, deprived of snow. Feel free to visit us up here, Miss E. would be happy to show him all the delights of it. : ) Thanks for linking up, happy WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing! Do you sleep?? :) I don't even know where to start with your awesome projects! Your pillows look great! Love the snowman emb., after seeing yours I might just have to join the Birdie Stiches. I am also very excited to see your single girl quilt!

    Happy WiP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are going crazy with the embroidery! Looks great....go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - you've been busy! Your enthusiasm just bursts out from your post - it's obvious you got some momentum going over the holidays and it is catching!

    p.s. Sewing Ninja (AWESOME) does not look in the least Eeyore-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the sewing ninja! And I am still gushing over your HST pillow.... love that!!! And that pile for your Single Girl quilt... swooon...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a stack of inspiration! The Single Girl stack of fabrics is awesome. I'm already had my Birdie Stitches block together and then decided I really didn't like the color I chose for the center part of the block, so took it all apart. Just waiting to re-sew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your fabric stack for the single girl quilt. I can't wait to see how that one turns out! As usual all of your accomplishments are amazing, I truly don't know how you do it, but keep it up! It inspires me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat