Tuesday, December 7, 2010

French Provence quilt

Ta da, the French Provence quilt is finally done!

Visually, I was fully inspired by the back of Kati's string quilt, and I thought it would make for a beautiful, super simple quilt for my grandmother-in-law.  This quilt will be a gift to her for Christmas, and I've named it French Provence, thanks to the beautifully inspired French prints used in the fabric.  My grandmother-in-law, Joan, is a very special woman, who suffers from macular degeneration and is pretty much blind.  She once participated in a quilting bee, though I don't know much more about her quilting history, as she suffers from dementia as well, but she's the sweetest person and I wanted to give her something that she could enjoy for Christmas.  She loves to listen to audiobooks, so I thought a throw quilt would be perfect.


This quilt turned out bigger than I had intended, thanks to my lackluster math abilities.  I really ought to put one of those quilter's calculators on my Christmas list.  Or better yet, EQ 6.  That would be an awesome gift to get under the tree.  Combining my love for computers and quilting?  Genius, but I'm getting off-track here.


I love the blues and reds in this quilt, they're so rich and deep.  I love good, saturated colors like these.   I've got a lot of scraps left from these fabrics, so I imagine I'll be making another quilt next year from what's left.



Only two more quilts left to finish now for the holidays - my That Girl quilt along quilt, which is a gift to myself for my 30th birthday this month, and the Urban Lattice quilt along quilt for my brother.  Cross your fingers for me that I finish them both in time!  I've got to ship the Urban Lattice one off to Denver, so I've got my work cut out for me there.  Never fear, though, I've got a few other holiday gifts to finish and several other works in progress that I'm starting this week, because I apparently can't focus on just one project at a time!  I just updated my works in progress list with a few things that are starting to become more than just sketches.

Quilt Stats
Name: French Provence
Size: approximately 55" x 72"
Fabrics used: Moda Bella solid (natural, I think) and two charm packs of Moda A Breath of Avignon by American Jane as well as some yardage from that collection for the backing and binding
Quilting: A combination of outline quilting and a meandering stipple, in white thread
Argh Moment: I love the idea of not following a pattern, but apparently I need some remedial math.  My math skills stink.  I did and redid the math on this quilt many times over before I actually got things close to right.
Yay Moment: Pulling this quilt out of the washer and not seeing any streaks of red anywhere.  I was so nervous about that.  Thank goodness for Shout Color Catchers, I swear by those things!

12 comments:

  1. I love this quilt and how perfect for your GMIL! I'm sure it will give her a very comforting feeling while she listens to her books. The design and fabrics are so fresh and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the quilt, and lovely story. Good luck on finishing the other 2! I am glad you have one planned for yourself, I have never made one for me yet, but that is the plan for 2011. In fact, I think I will meake myself a pile of 'em. And happy (upcoming) 30th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you finishing a Christmas present! It is really beautiful and I'm sure your grandmother will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks awesome! I always have trouble with the math too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very pretty! sometimes math mistakes work out quite nicely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt, Elizabeth! I'm sure your grandmother-in-law will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on this quilt! It looks great! :) I've thought of putting together something like this for a baby quilt. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how it turned out!
    and i love that your sewing machine is named Betsy. I actually really like that name and have considered it for my own kids :)

    what a great blog you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I love that it's simple, yet really elegant. You'll have to let us see pictures of her with it after Christmas. It will definitely be something to treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cute! Thanks for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat