Friday, January 21, 2011

Sliced Coins Quilt Along: Cutting Instructions

I cannot even begin to explain how excited I am about getting started on this quilt-along today!  Today, we're going to start cutting into that beautiful fabric I've seen you all collecting on Flickr.  By the way, it's not too late to join in the quilt along fun!  Grab a button from my sidebar, join the Flickr group, and let's get started.




Now, remember, there are three different quilt sizes we're talking about here, so there's three sets of cutting instructions.  Here we go!!


Cutting your fat quarters:
Baby & Crib size quilts -
Cut your fat quarters into three strips along the longer, 22" side of your fat quarters - two measuring 9 1/2" each, and the other being your excess.  Hang onto your extra strip, you may want it later, depending on how big it is.


Lap size quilts - 
Cut your fat quarters into two 10" wide strips along the wider side of your fat quarters, which should be 22".  Hang onto your extra strip, you may want it later, depending on how big it is.  If you're using a layer cake, you won't need to make these strips, skip right to the next step.


All - 
Once you have your strips, the instructions are the same for each quilt.  You will now make your coins, by cutting your strips into randomly sized pieces.  Here's how I did it - I made five different sized coins, 8", 5", 4", 3" and 2".  You can choose whatever sizes you would like, and in fact, you can stagger the sizes depending on the size of the print on your fat quarter.  Try to keep your coins stacked together with like fabric (despite the difference in sizes) for layout purposes.

For the baby size, you will need approximately 35-45 coins.  For the crib size, you will need around 55-65 coins.  For the lap size, you will need around 60-70 coins. You will wind up cutting more than this, and we will use the extra coins to piece together a quilt back.



Cutting your sashing:
Baby - 
From your sashing, cut the following:
  • 3" x 37" - quantity of 2
  • 3" x 43" - quantity of 5  **UPDATED QUANTITY**
From what remains, cut into 1" strips, then cut those down to 1" x 9 1/2" pieces. These will be your slices for your coin stacks.  Make sure to have at least as many as you have coins.



Crib - 
From your sashing, cut the following:
  • 3 1/2" by 55" - quantity of 2
  • 3 1/2" x 52"" - quantity of 5  **UPDATED QUANTITY**
From what remains, cut into 1" strips, then cut those down to 1" x 9 1/2" pieces. These will be your slices for your coin stacks.


Lap -
From your sashing, cut the following:
  • 5 1/2" x 66 1/2" - quantity of 2
  • 5 1/2" x 66" - quantity of 5 **UPDATED QUANTITY**
From your remaining sashing, cut 1" strips, and then cut those strips into 1" x 10" pieces. These will be your slices for your coin stacks.




Want a sneak peek of how your finished top is going to look?  Here's my boy twin sliced coin quilt top.  


Next Thursday, I'll host a linky so you can show off your cutting prowess.  Next week, we'll work on layout and assembly of the coin stacks.  Happy cutting!  I can't wait to see all of those fantastic stacks of cut up fabric.  Here's mine :)


17 comments:

  1. Awesome...I can't wait to get started. I would start cutting out right now but need to cut out my fabrics for a quilt retreat this weekend before I leave this afternoon.

    I wanted to also let you know that when you talk about cutting the various sized coins...you say there are four sizes but you list 5 different ones. Not a big deal just thought you might want to know.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are excited? I think we are all more excited to join in! Your instructions look very professional. I'm waiting on a few more fabrics and then will start cutting after the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great instructions! Thanks for putting this together. I can't wait to get started.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally want to do this project! I'm going to figure out a solution to my lack of a working sewing machine this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! I need to take a picture or two of the fabrics I have. My daughter wanted another quilt to match/coordinate with her owls so I am starting there and have added. She went through the stack yesterday and started jumpin gup and down (she is 13, not the jumpy type) so I am excited to get started since she is so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Maybe I should go home "sick" from work so I can start cutting right away... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great instructions. It looks like a nice simple quilt, but super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it too late to play too? I love this idea.
    Tammara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammara, Jess and Cory - feel free to join in! It's definitely not too late. And FYI, there's no email address associated with your Blogger account, so I couldn't reply to you directly..

    ReplyDelete
  10. You rock! Thanks for putting together this quilt-along. These are great instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, how exciting! Now I seriously need to get my stuff done so I can hit the quilt shop this afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth,
    I guess I am not sure how to do the email address. When I look at the bloger it shows my email as tjchez@charter.net. I am new to this so any help is greatly appreciated. I will get my material picked out and post pictures this weekend. WHOA I am excited to do this with you all. This is the first time I have done a quilt blog project with a group. Thanks.
    Tammara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was only able to get the 8",5 ", and 4 inch with a 1.25 inch left over when I cut my coins. Are those just options to randomly choose from? Or should I be able to get all those. That =22 and we should be cutting from and 10 x 18 right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a little late, but going to join in on the quilt along! I have a quick question though. It looks like there should be 5 pieces of sashing cut for the pieces that go next to the coin strips instead of just 4, right? Your sample has 4 coin strips and 5 sashing strips (not counting the top and bottom ones.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! I love those fabrics, I love your new quilt top!!! Lovely colours and wonderful pattern! Thank you for inspiration! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this cutting tutorial and the quilts. Count me in. I have some lofty stashy goals myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat