Saturday, January 22, 2011

I love when projects come together easily

I started working on this wonky 9-patch quilt for my son's birthday this week, after much internal debate about what pattern to do.  I had way too many ideas and sketches for this one, and ultimately, I decided to go simple and started cutting.  Managed to give myself my first rotary cutting injury in the process, but don't worry, it's just a tiny nick.


I'm going to sash the blocks with two different colors, but naturally, I'm debating about that too.  These blocks are so colorful, I was kind of thinking about using a few different colors for sashing, to keep up with the rainbow effect of the blocks, but I'm not sure yet.  I really need to put this aside to make some quilt backs this weekend.  It's going to be tough to stop on this quilt, because I'm really in love with it...


I'm not quite done making blocks, I think I'll do one more set of wonky blocks, but here's how it's coming together so far.


By the way, this quilt is so far totally nameless...though I can't seem to stop calling it A Legion of Dots in my head...

Don't forget, the cutting instructions for the quilt along are up.  Stacks of gorgeous cut fabrics are showing up in the Flickr pool already!  Have a great weekend everyone!

16 comments:

  1. what do you use for your design wall?? is it a flannel shower curtain?? those blocks are GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! That is a great name! Cute quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I think on a prior post you indicated you did a stack & whack for this? Looks great and I love your name for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those blocks are great, perfect for a little boys quilt! I like the name, it fits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, I love all those blocks on your design wall!

    I would do a fairly thin, white sashing. Kind of keep the blocks together, but just enough of an edge to differentiate each block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your wonky 9 patches! It's going to be an awesome quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! He is going to LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man...rotary injuries can be nasty! i took off the corner of my thumbnail, and almost the corner of my thumb with my rotary! amazingly, it didn't leave a scar. the quilt is looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Completely digging the name Legion of Dots!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, it looks great! This pattern is a great choice for all those dots. Love the name, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those blocks are fantastico!

    I managed to draw blood last night, too--I poked myself hard with a pin. The way I figure it, it's not really a project unless you get bloody at some point, right? *g*

    And I did it--I went out and bought some fabric for the quilt-along today. I'm making a baby-size; I figure I can keep up if it's small. The thing is, though, I really, really like my fabric. I may not be able to save it to give to anyone else...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! Those blocks look so great all together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the wonky 9-patches!! A Legion of Dots is a rockin' name, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute! It's looking amazing already! I've not seen that block before, but I like it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! I've only been a follower a short while, but I wanted to share with you a little award that was given to me. I just wanted to share the love with some blogs that I've really enjoyed over the last few months!

    http://greycatquilts.blogspot.com/2011/01/awesomeness.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat