Wednesday, January 19, 2011

WiP Wednesday #10

Happy WiP Wednesday to you!  But before I get to my laundry list of projects, I have an award to accept.  Kristie at OCD (Obsessive Crafting Disorder) nominated me for the Stylish Blog Award over the weekend.  Me, stylish?  If you say so :)  The rules say that I have to not only share 7 things about myself but also pay it forward to 15 recently discovered great bloggers...here goes.

Seven things you may not know about me:
1. Before I became obsessed with quilting, I attempted knitting while pregnant with my munchkin.  I made a really hideous knitted coaster, and promptly gave up trying to learn.  My husband strongly suspected sewing and quilting was going to be like when I tried to take up knitting, but here I am a year later, still doing it and loving it more than ever.
2. I used to be a serious workaholic.  The kind of person who's the first in the office in the morning and the last one to leave at night.  I traveled a lot for work and sometimes I miss that part of my old job, but that's about it.
3. My sister tried to nickname me Beth as a baby.  My mother didn't like it and came up with Betsy instead.  Why they couldn't just use my given name is beyond me (and the reason that I created a spreadsheet when considering baby names, listing all possibly nicknames for the names I liked).
4. I made my stage debut at age 5 in a local theater production of "Fiddler on the Roof."  My mother worked at a theater for most of my childhood, so you could say I grew up there.  I still love going to live theater and thoroughly enjoy musicals.
5. I am a complete music-phile.  If I could, I would have a soundtrack for every moment of my day.  I love music, all different kinds of music.  When I work on a quilt, I not only sketch it, but I also make a playlist that puts me in the right mindset for the quilt.  I know, I'm a geek.
6. I love to read.  These days, I spend more time sewing and quilting than reading, but I used to go through about a book a week.  Now, I'm lucky if I can read a handful of pages before bed every night, but reading is still something I enjoy thoroughly.
7. I am seriously scatterbrained sometimes.  I'll go into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee and wind up getting distracted and clean the stove, only to wonder twenty minutes later why I didn't make a pot of coffee.

And as for a some good reads, here's a few that are new(ish) to me...


There's a heck of lot going on this week, including a bit of some reorganization thanks to a great find on Craig's List and a travelling husband.  Only a few finished WiPs since last week, but there's been a darn good bit of progress, I swear!

Finished projects:
Soft Book Tutorial
Patchwork Penny doll and quilt
String Me Along block for Linda


Still very much in progress:
Polka Dot quilt for the munchkin's 3rd birthday - I think I have finally decided on a layout for this one, so I'm hoping to start cutting this week.


Robot coin twin quilts - I made some progress here over the weekend.  I managed to finish the coin stacks for both of these and hope to finish the tops this week.  In the meantime, my design wall is looking an awful lot like a landing strip for my WiPs...




Sliced Coin quilt along twin quilts - One quilt top down, and I'll be starting the second one this week with all of my quilt along friends on Friday!






3x6 Bee blocks - Made my first protoype this week.  I'm still tweaking it, but I like how it's coming together so far.  I'm thinking about entering this in the upcoming Quilt Story Block Party in February...



Zero progress:
Single Girl quilt - waiting on that extra 25th hour of the day I asked for at Christmas to show up...


Sew Fresh bee - waiting on fabric

Sewing ninja - I completely forgot about this project this week.  Maybe I'll try to finish it up when I catch up on The Fashion Show tonight...

New projects:
Spicing Up the Kitchen swap - I got my partner over the weekend, and I'm super excited.  I know exactly what I'm going to make, but it's a secret swap, so I'm going to keep the details vague for now.  I may share a sneak peek every now and again, though!

Make Mine Modern swap - I just found out my partner yesterday, and I'm super excited.  It's another secret partner swap, so I'm going to keep what I share to a minimum, but there will definitely be sneak peeks!  I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm going to make, and I'm really looking forward to getting started soon.

Urban Home Goods swap - I'm waiting to find out who my partner is on this one, but I'm hoping to find out this week so I can get to sketching and planning.

WiP #10 Recap
Finished: 3
Last week's total projects: 10
New: 3
This week's total projects: 10

Maybe 10 is the magic number for me?  I seem to keep winding up with ten WiPs every week.  Hmm...

Don't forget to go visit the official WiP Wednesday linky at Freshly Pieced to see what everyone else is up to this week.  Happy WiP'ing to you!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, so much going on! Congrats on the stylish blog award!
    I love your 3x6 block, it's fantastic. Looking forward to the quilt along. I'm hoping I can do it, I'm feeling overloaded! How do you keep so many wip,s going at once?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the Stylish blog award! And thanks for passing it on to me! :D You are too kind! And I have to say I am loving this WIP Wednesday because it is making me feel not so bad about my insane # of WIP's, and encouraging me to work on them too! Love these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, look at you go!

    Thanks for the nomination! I'll work on this when I get up this afternoon(I worked nightshift last night)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, I thought I had a lot going at the moment. I'm simply in awe of you; especially can't wait until your sliced coins quilt is down. It looks like a great quilt for a little boy.

    P.S. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a spreadsheet with names lurking about. People try to call me Candy all the time and get aggravated that I won't answer to it -- you see my aunt's name is Candy and we have the same last name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so, is your coin quilt twin sized? if so, could you give me fabric requirements? that is the size i want to make for the quilt a long, and if you don't have measurements, i can wing it. :)

    cute robot quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your projects, especially that sliced coin quilt. I love the blues and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love these projects! I would be super excited to get that block in the 3x6 bee if I was in your beehive :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the shout out! That's so nice of you! And I can't believe that you have 10 active WIPs. I think my head would explode if I had that many!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love that bee block, with the oranges. And congrats on the award!

    Did you visit the Social Security Administration's baby names site? It's so fascinating--when my Mr and I were hunting for baby names, we wanted names that wouldn't be too common, as we've both been one of several kids in our class with the same name. One name we liked was Emily, and we shied away from it because Emily has been one of the most popular girl's names in Wisconsin for the last decade.

    BUT THEN! Geeks that we are, we looked at absolute numbers of babies given each name. The year we were born (1976) the most popular girl's name was Jennifer (as you can imagine), with 1,600, and the most popular girl's name in 2006 was Emma--with only 450! So we realized that even 'popular' names are far less popular than they used to be, now that everyone's hunting for 'unique' names.

    Ahem. That was...kind of geeky. I hope you don't mind... *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I love geeking out about names too. And yes, potential nicknames are a big part of the decision!

    I hear you on the not having time to read anymore thing. Sads.

    Great progress on your WIPs! The stacked and sliced coin quilts are looking super great.

    Happy WiP Wed!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you!

    My husband is really good at coming up with all the really terrible nicknames for names we think of, so we're able to get some ruled out right away. It's an important thing to think about! I'm actually steering away from one of my favorite boy names because I know what people will shorten it to, and I hate the nickname.

    LOVE that 3x6 block! Orange is my favorite color, so I'm a bit partial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your two bee blocks! the coin looks great, can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love your 3x6 block. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the block in your last photo. The oranges are great and the dark gray border makes it look so clean and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that robot fabric! Your bee block is awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What, I'm not stylish enough for you now? (LOL - totally kidding.) : )

    Love your 3 x 6 block! I've been thinking about mine and haven't come up with much so far. I have one idea but it doesn't seem very original. Not that it needs to be, I guess.

    Thanks for linking up, happy WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for linking up! I'll have a good old think and post tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat