Monday, January 3, 2011

It's like a pillow factory at my house...

I must stop making pillows.   I feel like I'm running out of surfaces to put pillows on!  Last month, I made three gorgeous holiday pillows, and this holiday weekend, I made another three.  I've still got one more in my head that I haven't made yet, but I've decided to focus my attention on more quilty adventures at the moment, since my to-make quilt list keeps growing exponentially.

I finished Betsy 2.0's very first project, a simple HST Modern Meadow pillow, which I really love.  One of these days I want to make a whole HST quilt.  I love how simple the piecing is and how many options you have when you start putting them together.  I outline quilted this little beauty, which was super easy.  My biggest problem was getting used to the insane amount of speed this new machine has.  Learning this new pedal is going to take some practice!


I really love the confetti or improv style of blocks I've been seeing on Flickr lately, so I decided to build on that and make a pillow from some of my favorite Anna Maria Horner scraps.  Oh, how I heart some of her older fabric collections.   Don't get me wrong, I like Innocent Crush a lot too, but I really love the saturated colors she used in Good Folks and Garden Party!  This pillow was a lot of fun to put together.  It was really cool to put this pillow together in an improv kind of way.  I saw a quote on Amanda Jean's blog on Saturday, when I was feeling a little stuck on this pillow, that really just made me want to keep going, and let myself just create for the fun of it.

"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

That was just the inspiration I needed to finish off this pillow.  I think it might be my favorite pillow I've made thus far.  I quilted it with a simple stipple, which felt good.  I used my new spring-loaded free motion foot, and found it very easy to use, which was a pleasant surprise.


I also finished up the embroidered robot pillow for my munchkin, which I'm happy to say he loves.  He's so fickle these days about his things - favorite toys get discarded on a dime around here, but so far Hug-Bot is his new friend, and there are serious tears shed when he can't find him.  I really love this fabric I used to sash the robot with, it's from David Walker's Robots collection.  I just adore those bright, wonky stripes!  The embroidery pattern, by the way, is from Sublime Stitching, which is an awesome treasure trove of all things embroidery.


I also did some bee blocking this weekend.  For our first month in the {Sew} Beautiful BeeCherie had selected a dresden plate block, using a different ruler than I've used before, so I thought I'd do a practice run, just to be on the safe side.  I dug out some favorite Amy Butler fabrics and cut right in.  I'm glad I did - when I first showed some of these fabrics to my husband and proposed a quilt for our bed, he was totally against it.  But in a pillow?  He thinks they're pretty cool.   I'm really glad Cherie turned me on to this ruler, I really love the chunky look that it gives, and I fully intend to make another dresden pillow with this Fat Cats ruler for my mom's birthday next month.


It feels good to finish a few small projects on Betsy 2.0.  Gives me some confidence.  I'm feeling like I'm getting to know her a lot better.  There's still a lot to learn, but I no longer feel like a full-on novice, which is nice.  

I'm entering these pillows into the Blogger's Pillow Party contest that Rachel at Stitched in Color is hosting.  Check it out!

Blogger's Pillow Party

I'm also linking up this week with Sew & Tell this week!  Amy's been off for the holidays, and I'm excited to get back to linking up with her this week.


Did you see that I'm starting a quilt-along?


It's aptly named the Sliced Coins Quilt Along - I'm attempting to work up a button you can add to your blog and hope to have that up by the end of the week along with a list of materials so you can start gathering everything you need for the quilt top.  This quilt would also be a great scrapbuster!  We'll be getting started with the sewing toward the end of this month.  I hope you'll join me, the more, the merrier!

34 comments:

  1. Love it! I haven't gotten the pillow "bug" yet, but I have a feeling it could be hard to get rid of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hug bot! My son's room is decorated in robots. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all these pillows! They are addicting aren't they? I want to make a whole hst quilt too. Yours is great -modern meadow was prob my fav this year. I love the Dresden plate too, I've been too scared to try it though. I did make a queen size quilt out of Love and hubby likes it. I've learned not to show him the Tabriz beforehand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh- I hate auto correct! That's supposed to say "show him the fabrics beforehand "

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't feel you should stop with the pillows- they are fantastic! I love them all, especially the middle colorful one, and the robot is awesome!

    Your quilt-along looks fun- I have many scraps, so I may just join in! Not that I don't have 10 quilts on the go at the moment....hey, what's one more?? And this one would help me adhere to my "fabric diet" if I am using up scraps!

    p.s. am following now...thought I was all along but I guess I wasn't! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your pillows! I've been pillow crazy this last week too. The HST pillow is fabulous - I'm definitely making one of those today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pillows, you have made here!
    I might join in the quilt along... After all, that's all I need, another wip! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved that quote from Gwen, too!

    Fabulous pillows :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pillows. HST Modern Meadow pillow is lovely! These must make you happy.

    I can't wait to see your quilt-along requirements. This seems like a perfect fit for a stack I've been hoarding for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these pillows are so fun!
    I think your amh pillow is one of my favorites that I've seen lately. It reminds me of the ticker tape quilts...I think i see a ticker tape pillow in my future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have about 10 pillows I've been meaning to make - thanks for the inspiration to get them finished. I really like your HST pillow - it reminds me of the quilt I finished. :)
    I'll be eager to hear more about your Quilt-A-Long soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, great pillows! I love them all! Did you know Rachel at Stitched In Color is doing a "Pillow Party" project in 2011? I think there are prizes every month for the best pillow. You should totally enter!

    How did you make the confetti pillow? Is that sashing in between the blocks, or are the blocks sewn onto the white background?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the scrappy pillow! I have a dog who eats pillows, so I'm afraid they're not high on my list of favorite projects. You're tempting me though....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of them! So cute! These are exactly what I would like to do for my own home...but I am still hesitant for some reason! Maybe I will hop on over to the Blogger's Pillow Party for more inspiration and confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your improv pillow. A quilt or pillow in that style has been on my list for a while. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I can use what I have on hand then I just might join in your quilt-along. I'll be watching for details!

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous gorgeous pillows, all of them! My favourite is the one with the patches and white borders...

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favorite is the stained glass/mosaic pillow. I'm hoping to do a full quilt in a similar pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So much fun to get some "quick hit" projects done! That's what I've been doing since the holidays too. I feel like I've gotten TONS done. Love that you post all of the "quilt along" groups to choose from. Oh and new friends to follow are my FAVorite Friday activity.:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the scrappy pillow, so fun! I made my first Dresden as a christmas gift, and I'm totally addicted to them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really don't know what I like best and how could you choose one for the pillow fight :D. They're all great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love love love all your pillows!!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok, the robot pillow is adorable, but I really, really love the confetti one--I'll have to be researching how to do that sort of block next. SO pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pillows are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hug Robot is the best!!!!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Elizabeth - these are all great. I love the modern meadow fabric, so that pillow is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. All of your pillows are great! I think my favorite is the HST one...you are right about the versatility of HSTs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your pillows are beautiful. I have a solution for you---if you have to make more and don't have a place for them you can send some to me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are all amazing pillows! I don't think you can ever have too many pillows around the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are all wonderful. I love the wonderful use of small scraps for your Pillow Party (January) pillow. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful pillows! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. COngrats on being a finalist! I really adore your mod mosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That AMH pillow is utterly gorgeous, congrats on it making the finals!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat