Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I think Betsy 2.0 and I are friends now

Did you ever type up your notes from your classes?  Or was that just me, the ubergeek?  I always felt like I remembered things better if I typed them up.

I spent six hours this past weekend getting more familiar with Betsy 2.0.  I think it's no secret that I've been a little intimidated by this new machine.  It's only my second sewing machine, and my first was a total entry level machine that I used as a workhorse, but never fully learned.  My local dealer held a class on my new machine, a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire, over the weekend and I must say, it was definitely worth every minute.  Reading the manual only gets you so far, especially for me, with this being my first computerized sewing machine and all.


After sitting through this class, I feel a lot more comfortable with all of the computerized aspects of my machine not to mention all of the crazy feet it came with.  I know what all the buttons mean, and better yet, I feel like I know how to use them.  I think I can officially say that Betsy 2.0 and I are friends!

I now no longer think of this foot as a scary mystery foot...


I've learned it's an automatic sensor buttonhole foot, and I even know where to plug it in.  Best of all, I used it to make my very first buttonhole.  Buttonholes are so pretty when they're made in aqua thread, aren't they?


I also learned that when I get nasty thread spit-up on my the back of my work it's caused by one of two things - either my top thread tension is funky (not the bobbin thread, like you would think) or I need a new needle.

I made my first blind hem...well, I attempted.  Definitely not perfect, but I was pleased with how it came out, and I was excited to learn the process in person.  I'm not much of a hemmer, but when I told my husband that I had learned about hems, his response was, of course, "Now you can hem my suits!"

The dealer attempted to teach me to use the automatic needle threader, which I never bothered to learn on my old machine, but I didn't get it.  At all.  It's okay, I'll stick with threading the needle manually, I don't mind.

And get this - my machine has a different way of winding a bobbin that is apparently better for the tension of the bobbin...while the machine is threaded, I can actually wind a bobbin.   Isn't that cool?  It's apparently the best way to do it on my machine, so I'll have to remember that.

Oh - and I have decorative stitches on my machine, too.  That was a lot of fun to play with.  I have three fonts, a block font, a Russian font, and a Japanese font.  I'll have to play with the Russian and Japanese ones, I suspect they may make some cool symbols that could be pretty awesome.


There are several other little titdbits that I fear I may forget if I don't type them out, so here they are, in particular order.
  • When threading the bobbin, make sure to click the bobbin thread in place.
  • Change your needle after every full 6-8 hours of use.  Mental note: change needle more often!
  • Wind your bobbin at a slow or medium speed, not high speed.  There are no prizes for winding a fast bobbin!  
In a nutshell, that;s was how I spent my weekend.  How about you?

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing those tidbits. Doesn't it seem that the big threadblob on the back would be from your bobbin? I'd definitely sign up for a sewing machine class if they had one around here. Congrats on your new machine and have fun learning her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I used to type up my notes too. I would do so well now in school since everyone just takes their laptops to class!
    Looks like you've got one awesome machine. I know taking the class for mine was so helpful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same class for my Janome when I upgraded last spring. SO helpful! Taught me tons about how to use features that would have otherwise remained a mystery! My weekend was spent on that Avante, and now I've got a serious itch to go back. Got to get working on your quilt-a long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tidbit on the needle changing! I will have to try this! I get that crap all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! How fun to play with a new machine! I love the fonts. How perfect for making quilt labels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got to know your new machine this weekend. I agree that the buttonholes in aqua are adorable! I gave my machine quite a workout this weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I love those little cars! Making friends with a new machine is holding me back from looking at something new... my husband asked if I wanted one for my birthday .... and I said no... I may need to re-evaluate after seeing how well you have adjusted :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great to really take time to learn what your new baby can do. She will be your new BF/F

    ReplyDelete
  9. What? There are no prizes for winding your bobbin the fastest?? That's too bad b/c I was totally winning that race!

    I'm glad you're loving your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before Christmas I got a serger. It is still sitting in my sewing room. I need to spend some major time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, looks like Betsy 2.0 can do some pretty amazing stuff! I think I'd be afraid of that "scary mystery foot" too, I've never seen anything like that before & wouldn't have the first idea of what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat