Monday, January 17, 2011

She's got a ticket to ride...

My niece is going to be one super happy girl when she opens her birthday presents from me.  She lives far, far away, unfortunately, so I won't get to see that moment of joy, but here's hoping that my sister will take pictures, because I suspect there may be squealing involved...

Katie recently received a hand-me-down gift from my mother, the doll cradle my sister and I shared (okay, fought over) when we were growing up.  I figured it was only appropriate for me to make a doll to go with!  I dug out my drool-covered copy of Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love and found the perfect doll for Katie, a pattern named Patchwork Penny.  And bonus, it had a pattern for a matching little doll quilt!


I had a Cabbage Patch doll that I adored as a little girl, and one of the things I liked best was that she looked like me.  Not that I liked Barbie any less for her blonde hair and blue eyes, but I liked having a doll with dark hair and dark eyes like me.  So, I chose to make Penny look as much like Katie as I could.



As always, Hillary's pattern was super easy to follow, but it did lead to cursing, as usual.  I am just not a very confident hand stitcher, especially when it comes to ladder stitching.  Oh well.  I did my best.  I really enjoyed making the wig of yarn and stitching it onto the doll, though I dreaded that step of the process and put it off for a good day before trying it.


My husband thought this adorable little doll quilt was a placemat gone awry (he thought it was sized oddly for a placemat).  Seriously.  He redeemed himself slightly, though - he picked out the binding from my stash for this one, though, which I think is a nice touch.  This is indeed the little quilt that I spray basted last week, and FMQ'd with the loopy design, and I really like how it looks, all finished up.


I really love how this birthday gift came together, and I can't wait to hear from Katie and see what she thinks. Happy (almost) birthday, sweet girl!

I'm linking up with {Sew} Modern Mondays over at Canoe Ridge Creations, make sure to check it out!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

I'm also linking up to Fabric Tuesday this week.  I can't wait to see what Heather and Megan have cooking this week.  Have you heard about their upcoming Block Party?  Make sure to check it out, there are some seriously awesome prizes involved!


Fresh Poppy Design

14 comments:

  1. what a great gift! she'll love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love the matching little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me? She's going to LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!! I think there will definitely be some squealing. And a matching quilt! My daughter can't resist little blankets for her dolls and animals. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute! How could she not love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! And I love the binding your hubby chose. :) I am sure there will be lots of squealing when she opens this one. Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe, what a cute dollie! Everything turned out so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! I love Wee Wonderfuls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! your niece is a lucky little girl, I am sure she will adore this gift :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful set...just georgeous colours and workmanship! I hope you were able to get on to Retromummy about putting your skills to work for Queensland...Queensland needs your talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've come back to follow you..everytime I run into you I admire your work! I have decided I need a running commentary so I don't miss a post...and I may get to know you a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, that set is awesome! I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat