Monday, January 2, 2012

Fat Quarterly Aurifil Challenge

I was so excited when my far-away quilty friend Lynne asked me to participate in a Fat Quarterly Designer Challenge.  When I learned it was an Aurifil thread challenge, I was even more excited, because I've got six or seven spools of Aurifil that I haven't had the guts to bust into, mainly because sometimes I irrationally fear change.  This was the kick in the pants I needed to finally try the Aurifil, and wow, I sure am glad I did!


I made a little rectangle miniquilt that I aimed to use as a table runner, but it's hanging on the wall in my sewing room, and I kind of like that a lot at the moment.  This little miniquilt reminds me about how I want to try new things this year, like using more variety in my quilting, so I think it might just stay in my sewing room for a while.


I love the color of the thread I used for hand-stitching.  It's quite possibly my favorite shade of blue ever!  My hand-stitching is far from even, but I do still love the look of hand-stitching, even if it is slightly wonky like mine.


Thanks again, Fat Quarterly and Aurifil!  This was a lot of fun!  Hop on over to the Fat Quarterly blog to read more about my Aurifil experience.

14 comments:

  1. Great design, Elizabeth! That blue is beautiful and I think your stitching is great, far better than what I can do. Looking forward to seeing what other new things you try this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stitching - I am envious of your skill...on my new years resolution - practice machine quilting more!!

    Happy New Year from Canada! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the design of the table runner! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you used the variety of threads in this challenge, makes me want to break mine out now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! It is a beautiful mini quilt and i love that blue thread too
    Have a nice day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is gorgeous! I love your fabric and color choices, and the quilting is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I've been following you for awhile now and I just have to say you are super talented! Your quilts always look good and you crank them out like nothing! I've only been quilting for a year, but its become my most favorite hobby. Just wanted to tell you you're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, Elizabeth, I LOOOOOVE this! I really need to experiment with more decorative quilting like this! It just makes the whole quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks SO great! I love the blue for the hand stitching too! AWesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out great. I love how you played with the threads for your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very Pretty! Love the color combo you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is fabulous! I love the colors and the pattern. Really nice stitching too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great, Elizabeth. I love Aurifil--after being a long-time Superior fan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a lovely wallhanging/table runner, Elizabeth. Good on you for stepping out and trying something new.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat