Friday, December 3, 2010

Quilt Along Friday

I finally bit the bullet and started my blocks for the Urban Lattice quilt along this week.  I cut all of my fabric the day after Thanksgiving, and then proceeded to stare at my papers until I got fully intimidated.  After things went back to normal, and the house quieted down, I tried again and gave it a go.




And then?  I couldn't stop.

I would never have guessed this, but I really have enjoyed paper piecing!  The noise the paper made when it went when I first started sewing on it freaked me out, but Cara's detailed quilt along posts told me it was A-OK.  I love how these blocks are coming together, I adore how they look.  I will definitely not shy away from paper piecing in the future!  I'm really excited to try doing a paper pieced string quilt after this one.

Does it look good and manly so far?  That's the intent...




Now that all of my blocks are done and laid out (and well labeled), I even started perforating the paper and taking the paper off the blocks.  It's kind of slow going thus far, but I'm really hoping to finish this quilt top this weekend.




And now, with Thanksgiving over, I was able to clear enough space in my dining room again to baste my That Girl quilt along quilt.  I really love the back that I wound up creating.  Now that I created such a busy back, though, I'm waffling on how to quilt it.  I had intended to do some simple outline quilting, but now I'm thinking I might stipple it.  Not sure yet, stay tuned.  I'm trying to get my Urban Lattice quilt top finished up first, and then I'll quilt these two last quilts of the year back to back.  I've clearly got my work cut out for me!


8 comments:

  1. Love your backing for the That Girl QA...it's beautiful!

    I also am amazed by that awesome top you've started....I need some sewing initiative! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you are doing with both quilts! Paper piecing is great... so precise.

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great! And of course I love the grey;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they're both GREAT! I might have to copy your idea for your That Girl quilt back. (Imitation is the best flattery, right?)

    Told ya paper piecing was fun. : ) Can't wait to get going on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these are beautiful! I can't wait to see them both finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your lattice quilt block. Very different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love both these and particularly love colour of the grey paper pieced one - looking forward to seeing the finished product

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors on your "manly" quilt...I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat