Monday, March 17, 2014

What's on my Quilty Bucket List...

The Tilted Quilt

You know, Pinterest is often a lot like a bucket list for me - I pin stuff to save it to think about, to make, to bake, to cook, to craft another day. But another day so often never seems to come! I mean, think about your own pins...how often have you put them to use? So when Stacey at The Tilted Quilt asked if I wanted to participate in writing a quilty bucket list, I said sure, because when it comes to accountability, putting it in writing is the best way for me to make something actually happen!

1. Make an epic, crazy awesome quilt with my selvages. I've been collecting selvages since I started sewing, so I've got quite a pile of them at this point. I think one of the most daunting parts of thinking about a selvage project is sorting my collection of selvages, but if sorting my scraps is any indication, it could actually be fun. I started up a little board of selvage quilts I really like on Pinterest, and I have to say, I really love this selvage quilt Amy/During Quiet Time's been working on. I love the idea of using selvages to make a traditional-ish block, so I'm thinking of making something like one of these (where I cheated and used Pat Sloan's selvage-like print to mimic the look of selvages visually), either using my Kaleidoscope Quilt Along or my Patchwork Wheel pattern...

        Kaleidoscope quilt in selvages                 Patchwork Wheel in Selvages
2. Make my husband a mariner's compass quilt. Finally. He asked for one back when I made my A Light in the Dark mini, and I made one block a long while ago, but I wasn't thrilled with my fabric selections for the block, so I definitely need to start over. I'm thinking I might go with solids instead of prints. This one would be really, really easy to start up, since I've already got the whole thing designed, just need to do it!


3. I would love to one day make one of Trish Harper's epic hand pieced quilt patterns. I really love the Galaxy one. I'm pretty sure it would be a really awesome challenge for me. You can find this pattern right here.

photo from broderie.typepad.com

5. Finish the amazing bee quilts that my friends have helped me start through past bees...yes, that means I'm looking at my UFO pile for this bucket list item. I've got two fantastic quilts in progress from past bees, my Radiant Ring quilt and a super fantastic all-voile AMH quilt. I have got to get my butt in gear and finish these two off, they're too pretty to let gather dust!!

Radiant Ring quilt in progress


5. Do a traveling bee with some friends. Last year was my first year since I started sewing without bees, and it was kind sad, honestly - I missed that collaboration, so I'm back in a bee this year, and looking forward to getting back in the swing of making bee blocks again. Maybe if when I finish up my two bee quilts in progress, then I'll try to put together a traveling bee...

And I capped my list off at five, because, knowing me, if I just let my brain keep floating on things I want to do, the list would be thirty items long pretty quick, so I'm keeping it short and sweet, and manageable.

It wasn't terribly hard to come up with my own quilty bucket list - you should write up yours too! Are you much of a list maker? I love making lists, I always feel like a weight has been lifted after I make a list, it feels incredibly good to get it down on paper! It felt great working on this list and I feel like I know exactly what I'll be working on after I get through the next few weeks of super busy-ness. You can link up your list right here, and you can find more listy fun throughout the blog hop at the blogs below:

March 3rd
Fabric Mutt
Sew at Home Mummy

March 10th
Freshly Pieced
The Sewing Chick

March 17th
Don't Call Me Betsy (hello!)
Molli Sparkles

March 24th
A Quilter's Table
Modern Bias

7 comments:

  1. Great list! I love that you used 'epic' twice - to me, epic=daunting, but I have faith in you! ;-) So which is up first?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list!! and I'm glad that you stopped at 5, otherwise it would be inspiration overload :-) Goodness, I totally forgot about adding a Travelling Quilt to my Quilty Bucket List. I've been itching to participate in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a quilty bucket list and loved thinking of what I really want to do. I forgot a selvage quilt! I have a ton of them so yes, I need to add that to mine. I also want to do a traveling bee, I need to cultivate my friendships a little more so I can do one! I need to make my husband a new quilt, the only one I've made for him is about five years old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list. A selvage quilt is also on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I would LOVE to do a travelling bee as well. Every quilt I ever seem to see from one seems to turn out great! So if you're looking for more people when you put one together, I'd love to be a part! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As suspected, your list did not disappoint. That Mariner's Compass looks unbelievable! Thanks so much for playing along with me this month! I also have a travelling bee on my to-do list, I just love the originality of the concept :) Thanks Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I've got a Bee quilt too that needs some love! I should've added that. You're absolutely right about getting things out into a list, feels like there's more room to think now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat