Monday, March 24, 2014

Rainbow Dance Party - a finish!

Late last month, I shared a super fun quilt top all in solids, and hooray, it's all done! It's time to join the Rainbow Dance Party! It's finally finished and bound, and holy wow, do I love this quilt!

Rainbow Dance Party - finished!

It all started with some beautiful RJR Supreme Cotton Solids, and some very simple piecing to yield a really striking quilt top. Then, I decided to do some super fun, super varied free-motion quilting, inspired by my just-about-to-be-released Craftsy class (somebody pinch me!!!!), and this quilt became something beyond special.

Rainbow Dance Party - FMQ detail

The back of the quilt is especially dazzling, thanks to the dense quilting in six different styles. Lately, I've noticed I've been gravitating toward solid fabric quilt backs, even scrappy ones like this one, so I can really enjoy my free-motion quilting stitches. I kept the binding super simple for this quilt, using some leftover strips of fabric from the front of the quilt for a real scrappy binding.

Rainbow Dance Party - the back

These photos were taken at the Plant City Railroad Museum and Union Depot, which is a pretty cool place, if you're ever in the area. There was a group of older men there touring the museum, who seemed to be thoroughly amused by my quilty photoshoot and the way I was running around trying to get good pictures in between crazy gusts of wind. I'm glad I could make them smile :)

Quilt Stats
name: Rainbow Dance Party
size: 51" x 68"
pattern: none yet, but maybe I'll write one up?
fabrics: RJR Supreme Cotton Solids in 49 - Chili Pepper, 140 - Ochre, 182 - Lemon Chiffon, 249 - Sprout, 251 - Anemone, 331 - Pink Orchid, 110 - Red Wagon, 276 - Tangerine Dream, 92 - Goldenrod, 349 - Aloe Verde, 296 - Electric Blue, 286 - Ruby Slippers, 34 - Black
quilting: six different quilting stitches in six different shades of Aurifil 50 wt to coordinate with my fabrics, navy (#2735), orange (#2214), green (#5017), fuchsia (#2588), yellow (#2105), and red (#2250)
binding: assorted leftover fabrics from the quilt top for a scrappy binding

Rainbow Dance Party - side view

In other news, I've pulled a winner for my Aurifil giveaway from last week, and the winner is Joanne Gentile. Congrats! I'll be emailing you shortly to get your new spool of thread on its way to you :)

Have a wonderful day today everyone!

13 comments:

  1. This turned out so pretty Elizabeth!! I love it! Your quilting turned out spectacular. I can't wait for your Craftsy class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting really made this quilt shine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun quilt and your quilting is lovely. I am looking forward to your class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I love the quilting. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to have the quilting be different in each color. I say yes to writing up a pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is really one of the NEATEST quilt patterns I have ever seen. I love the bright solids, it's so intense. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a cool quilt. I love the bright colors, and it does provide such a fun canvas for FMQ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt definitely celebrates solids! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous quilt and I love how you quilted it. Beautiful! Great scrappy binding too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome quilt . . . and I do love how the quilting shows up on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors and pattern look great! Plus the quilting is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic a real treat see your work the designs in the quilt free motion quilting wow thanx so much been with you for quite a while an enjoyed . renee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat