Monday, March 11, 2013

The Road to Love - a quilt finish

Over the weekend, I got to share my finish for the Madrona Road Challenge at the monthly meeting of the Tampa Modern Quilt Guild. It was a lot of fun to see all of the fantastic projects the guild members made, there were quite a few members who participated, so it was very exciting. We did a vote on all of the projects shown at the meeting, as well as two that couldn't make it, and I'm proud to share with you my entry, which won the challenge.

IMG_3418rt

I'm positively in love with how this quilt came together. I've hung it up in my sewing room over my sewing table and every time I look at it, I can't help but smile.

"Don't Call Be Betsy" - Elizabeth Dackson's sewing and quilting studio
photo by Katie of Katie's Quilting Corner

When I started on this project last week, my only plan was to let loose and have fun, not to do something super intricate, but to put something together that would make me smile. I started by cutting my fabric into strips and putting together some string blocks. Then, I decided I wanted to use some Essex Yarn Dyed in Black for the background fabric, so I put together a few Roman Stripe string blocks to use as half-square triangles. As I played with the layout of my blocks, I kept thinking about the pixelated heart quilts I've seen and loved recently, so I decided to go with a heart layout.

Madrona Road Challenge - close-up

Once I put it up on my design wall, I was happy with it and I felt like I had a direction. I wanted lots of negative space, for fun quilting, and to the piecing of the heart truly shine.

IMG_3394rt

For the quilting, I chose a gray variegated thread, which blended really nicely. I quilted using both wavy lines and wiggle back and forth lines to give a sense of movement to the quilt. I like how the stitches really blend into the Essex in a way, but a part of me wishes I'd chosen a color with a little bit of contrast so I could see the stitches a little bit better.

IMG_3431rt

Quilt Stats
name: The Road to Love
size: 40" x 46"
pattern: none at the moment; maybe I'll write a simple tutorial eventually
fabrics: Madrona Road by Violet Craft for Michael Miller Fabrics paired with Essex Yarn Dyed linen in Black
quilting: wavy lines and wiggle FMQ in 40 wt Aurifil varigated gray thread
binding: Essex Yarn Dyed linen in Black

IMG_3419rt

And speaking of my weekend, I did my first real interview over the weekend, with quilty podcaster Katie of Katie's Quilting Corner. If you haven't listened to Katie's podcast before, she shares projects she's working on, things she's learned, as well as interviews with other quilters periodically. I was super flattered when she asked me to do an interview with her, but I have to say, in spite of my nerves, she really made me feel comfortable and I enjoyed chatting with her. You can find a link to listen to it right here, along with tons of pictures of my sewing space.

Have a wonderful Monday!

25 comments:

  1. It's fantastic!! Love how the quilting really enhances the design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It`s wonderful.

    Greetings from Germany, Grit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt and I like the background fabric you chose to highlight the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt!! Having a hard time not pushing my WIP's aside and making one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats...I knew it was a winner the moment I saw it. Love the quilting. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love a nice grey background that makes the heart really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It just sings! So glad you took closeups of the quilting because it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful Heart Quilt that you made.... Everything aspect of this fits perfectly with the piece. YOU ROCK! I'm glad you look at it every day. I'm inspired to make my own! Thanks for sharing it! cheers su '-}

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely! everything you make is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lovely quilt! I do hope you do a tutorial for it - I have a couple of charm square packs with no purpose yet! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love this! Such a great use of the Madrona fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love this. In fact so much so that I mailed a link to this from me to me!! I know I'm nuts but hey ho who cares.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! I adore your quilting on this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the heart surrounded by all the grey and the quilting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is one of my favorite heart quilts so far. It's so simple but so great. And the quilting really does set it off. I like that the color blends. It's like a novel that is a good read on the most basic level, but the more you get into it, the deeper it gets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore this, Elizabeth!! Cool fabric choices, and the quilting is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very clever idea to make a heart out of string blocks. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Love this quilt! Hope you do a tutorial for it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. sooo...in....love...

    seriously!

    i am just a beginner and just started to get addicted to this quilting thing...someday i hope to be able to make something this stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just discovered this little tutorial and LOVE the quilt! Thank you so much for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat