Friday, March 29, 2013

Digging into my zipper stash

In just two short weeks, my road trip to the Stash Bash retreat will begin, and I'm definitely not heading there empty-handed. We're planning to do a little pouch swap, and there's a few people that I want to bring a special something to as well, so I decided to dig into my zipper stash and make a pile of pouches. I just finished my last pouch yesterday, so that's one more thing I can check off my to do list, yay!

A pile of pouches for Stash Bash!

The first pouch I worked on is for the pouch swap. I wanted to do some teeny tiny piecing, and I wanted to use one of my Lucky Stars blocks, so I decided to use the new April block, which will be arriving to club members' inboxes first thing Monday morning. This teeny tiny version of the block finished at 3 1/2" - throughout the piecing, I felt like I needed smaller hands to work with these tiny pieces of fabric!

Lucky Stars pouch exterior

I sashed the block with some Essex linen in Steel, and decided to add a pinstripe effect with some simple quilting on the pouch. I wanted a bright, fun color for the zipper, so I picked out a fun green zipper, Washi triangles for the lining. On this pouch, I wanted a softer look, so I used Pellon fusible fleece. It's still definitely durable, but would be good for holding a Kindle or a camera, since it's a bit more padded.

Lucky Stars pouch interior

For the second pouch, I wanted to try to use some of my Anna Maria Horner scraps. I've destashed a lot of my Anna Maria Horner fabric, and used a lot of it, too, so all that's left is scraps. I decided to use an Anna Maria Horner to go with my bits and strings of fabric, her feather pattern, but there was no way that I had enough to make the full-size feather, so I shrunk it. I used the copier function of my printer to shrink the pattern by 50%, and I was able to put together enough strings to make a darling little feather. I used Essex Yarn Dyed Linen in Black for the stem of the feather, and paired it with a mostly low-volume print from Art Gallery's new Urban Mod collection called Triangularity. Isn't that a fun word??? I added a bit more of the Triangularity print around the feather to create a nice rectangular size, and turned it into a pouch.

Feather pouch exterior

I found a red zipper in my stash that had a cute pull already attached to it, and installed that for the pouch. The lining of this one is from my biggest AMH leftover scrap, a print from her Innocent Crush line, and I used Pellon Craft Fuse for the interfacing on this one - I've used Craft Fuse on several pouches, and I like the crisp look it gives.

Feather pouch interior

You're going to get to see much more of the third pouch on Tuesday, when I will be sharing a quick tutorial for it. For now, I'll give you a quick tease :)

3rd pouch - sneak peek! Stay tuned for the tutorial next week

Stay tuned on Monday for my first update on my duffle progress, and have a great weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Your pouches are all gorgeous Elizabeth. I can't wait to see your duffle. I was going to start one last week but got sidetracked

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are brilliant, love them! Now where did I put my zips...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so locked into 'making blocks to make a quilt' mode that I would never consider making anything else. I love your fabulous ideas and I'm trying harder to think 'outside the block'. Love these little pouches - I need to get over zipper phobia though.... Are there good zipper tutorials out there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zipity do da....the pouches are delightfully and oh so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patricia! Your email address isn't associated with your Blogger profile/Google Plus profile, so I can't respond to you via email, so here I am - yes, there are tons of great zipper tutorials out there, and I'm going to be sharing one next Tuesday as well for the sneak peek pouch shared today. I had a super dig zipper phobia for a long time, but now zippers are no big deal, something I don't mind sewing a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both your pouches, they are so cute. What a great idea to do the blocks smaller to fit the size you need. I love to make little pouches for a quick finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fabulous. Um, thanks for the tease...can't wait to see the complete reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The star is 3.5 inches?!?! I think you may have lost your mind. But it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pouches that you made!!! I have been learning how to put in zippers lately by making pouches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pouches,can't believe how tiny that piecing is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We followed your blog...come join ours! Thanks! quackadoodlequilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat