Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A little bit of honey

Honeycombs, actually, to be more exact. I've been working on a little English paper piecing project over the last week or so, without any real plans, just to have some fun and use one of my favorite fabric lines ever, It's a Hoot by MoMo. I've got some scraps and a charm pack, so I expect that I'll wind up with a pillow or perhaps a mini-quilt when all is said and done.

IMG_3344rt


I'm using 3/4" sized honeycombs from the lovely folks at Paper Pieces and plan to sew them together into a shape like this, which I first spotted on Flickr by Emily of Sew With a View. I love the concept, and definitely plan to applique them to a background, but I want to stick some squares and a rectangle of another fabric in the center first, just need to get some more papers and decide on an awesome fabric to use for the centers.

IMG_3349rt


This is the perfect kind of project to take on the go, when I'm waiting outside of the munchkin's gymnastics class or in the car line at school. I think I've missed having a little hand project ever since I finished my Starflower pillow. It's so funny to me that I actually enjoy these little hand projects these days! I used to positively despise all forms of hand sewing, but lately, I've found that I really do enjoy English paper piecing, in spite of the fact that it's done by hand. What are you sewing up this week? Have a great day!

IMG_3347rt

14 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what fabulousness you come up with for the finished project. I started a paper piecing project last year. Sadly it hasn't gotten very far. Perhaps I will take it out and have another go at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're lovely...definitely a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the first commenter, I have paper piecing to turned into something. This week I will work on begin working on it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily is awesome! I love this project! I picked up a bunch of 1 1/2 in hexagons and a fat quarter of 1930's retro fabric after being inspired by another DMMQG member-Leila at Sewn. She made a huge beautiful flower garden quilt. I love the portability of hand sewing too! With three kids and a gazillion afterschool activities I am getting a lot accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking to me! My sister in law helped me play with the layout of the honeycombs and I loved this one so much and then when you stick them together, you get another design in the negative space! I look forward to seeing how yours ends up and you've inspired me to finish up one more block and make something!
    Thanks to Amy for saying I'm awesome. I love my guildies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love EPP, I find it quite relaxing, and it's so portable. I'm cutting fabric for a squill ion hexies at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Momo line, the EPP is looking glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty--what beautiful blocks these will be--I love the shape, and the plus in the center will just be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I'm no longer waiting anywhere for kids or appointments, my hand sewing time is at a minimum. Though I do enjoy it, I find I'm much more productive at home in my sewing room. Right now I'm FMQing a really big, 92" X 106" quilt on my domestic machine. It seems I'll never be done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elizabeth! These are so beautiful and cute! I wish I had time for epp. I was looking around your quilts for inspiration. You have made so many beautiful quilts, it's difficult to decide what to make! I wanted to ask if you allow pinning?
    Sunny wishes! x Teje
    nerospost(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute! I love that honeycomb shape, I've been experimenting with it these days as well. I usually make my sewing machine do the work, but the EPP method would allow you to take these on a camping trip or to a day at the park so you could be outside but still getting fun stuff done. Very cool. Can't wait to see the progression!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the little pieces and how they have turned out so far! can't wait to see them all put together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this shape! I'm always looking for new EPP patterns to try---thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice layout for the honeycomb shapes. That is going to make a lovely pillow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat