Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Getting ready for a boatload of quilting

My sewing desk is, once again, a mess, but this time in a good way.  I did a lot of prep work on several projects today and I'm hoping to finish several of them in the next few days.

I worked on my first pair of shorts, for my munchkin's Halloween costume.  It's shocking how difficult it is to find a simple pair of black knit shorts for a toddler.  Hence, the sewing of them.  I've never really sewn any garments to speak of, other than my first skirt recently.  I think garment sewing is a whole different ballgame than quilting, one I don't know all the rules to yet, so I feel a little hesitant on wrapping this project up.  I want to re-read the pattern one more time before I make the elastic casing and sew the hems on the shorts, just to make sure I'm doing it at least 80% right.

Haven't tried these on the munchkin yet, but boy, they sure seem big!

After wrapping up my Boss's Day gifts yesterday, I felt compelled to make more mug rugs, this time to grace my own house.  No one warned me that these things are addictive.  I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to find myself making sippy cup rugs for my son's Christmas stocking or something equally strange.  These are cute, though, and used real scraps, so I can't wait to see how they turn out after I finish them up.

 I just adore this colorway of Amy Butler's Lotus line!

Real leftovers from the Boss's Day mug rugs - must be a record for the quickest turnaround for scraps!

The doll quilt for my niece has been glaring at me the last few days.   I've neglected it, I know.  It's been ready to baste and quilt for weeks and I've put it off and off and off again, so today, I busted out my basting pins and basted that little bad boy together once and for all.  Then, I proceeded to waffle for a full twenty-one minutes as to how I wanted to quilt it.  Yes, twenty-one minutes.  I think I'm going to go with an all-over stipple, but I'm not 100%.   Feel free to try to sway me another way in the comments!

Straight lines?  Stipple?  Straight lines?  Stipple?  Maybe I'll toss a coin...

And that, my dear bloggy friends, is all for today.  Thanks to all of my new followers out there, new followers always brighten my day.  And tell your friends - when I hit 50 followers (which could quite possibly be years from now), I'm planning on a pretty awesome giveaway!  :)

1 comment:

  1. The doll quilt is adorable! I think I'd go with straight-line quilting ... but then again, straight-line quilting is all I'm capable of at this point. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat