Monday, October 25, 2010

A good day indeed

My to-quilt pile is multiplying.  Time to get started on some quilting this week!

I decided after the Rockets and Robots Oh My! quilt that I wanted to take a mini-break from quilting.  Not piecing or putting together quilts, just the actual free motion quilting part.  It was exhausting, moving that huge quilt around, but now I'm ready to go at it again.  Hardcore.


I started today with the quilt I'm making for my in-laws for the holidays this year, the Park Avenue quilt.  I used a different low loft batting rather than my trusty Warm and Natural on it, and wow, this thing moved like a dream through my machine!  I really didn't even need my quilting gloves, it was so smooth!  I started quilting early this morning before my munchkin woke up, then set it aside for the morning, and wrapped it up during naptime.  Awesome!


Next up is some binding for this one, then another gift will officially get crossed off my To Sew list!  Yay!

After I wrap up the Park Avenue quilt this week, I'm going to help a new quilty friend, Brooke, finish off a quilt, and then back to holiday gifts I go.  The 12 Days of Whirlygiggles quilt for my sister-in-law's family will be the next one to get quilted.  I'm still waiting for the fabric to come in for the back of this one, thanks to a super clearance sale at fabric.com on this line, Kate Spain's 12 Days of Christmas.

Thank you, darling husband, for holding this quilt so long that you lost feeling in your arms!

And as if that didn't sound like enough to do, I've got various other fabric-related gifts to make for the holidays...a quilt-along with Jennifer that starts this week, a bag for my mother, some fabric-covered notebooks for other family members, and I'm planning to sew a few things for my son for Christmas, too.  And thank you, Lee, for adding to my list - have you seen Lee's  holiday advent calendar tutorial?  So cute!  My list just grew again.  Eek!  Then again, in my family, if you don't have too much to do this time of year, then it's just not the holidays.  I truly enjoy keeping busy like this!

I got an awesome surprise today, to make today even better - I actually won something!  Lee held a great giveaway last week for a custom blog header, and I was the lucky winner!  Woo hoo!  A new and improved look for my blog sounds good to me!

Hope you're all having a wonderful start to your week, too.  Happy sewing!

4 comments:

  1. i need a break from the quilt i am working on too but i don't think i am going to get it...this top your husband is holding for you is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The quilt and your quilting is beautiful! What kind of batting did you use?

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's something I found at Jo-Ann's, Soft & Craft Low Loft Poly batting - here's a link to it:

    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=xprd1002316

    I tried it out for the sake of trying something new, and I will definitely use it again, at least for Florida friends. It yielded a a very nice lightweight quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! I might try some of that batting with one of my 50% off coupons. I have always used warm and natural and while it's great, I'd like to try something new. Oh and don't you just love fabric.com sales??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat