Monday, October 11, 2010

Why is there not an official parenting handbook?

Argh, toddlers are tough.  Potty training is such a pain...well...in the rear, for lack of any better reference.  We're knee deep in attempting to introduce the potty at the moment, and it's going over like trying to offer chocolate covered brussel sprouts to a child.  It's not pretty.  Naptime is a serious sanctuary at the moment, the only time of day where I don't feel like a nag, where I feel like an adult.  Sometimes I truly wish there was an official parenting handbook, something to tell me exactly how to deal with every facet of parenting.  Flying by the seat of my pants has never been my specialty.

I've been pretty haphazard with my time in the sewing room the last week or so, despite the amount of time I've been spending there.  I keep starting projects, and stopping midway.  I've got a lot of balls in the air at once at the moment.  I took a few moments today to jot down what exactly is in progress and what's in the pipeline or on my sewing desk.  I'm making a boatload of gifts these next few months for various holidays and occasions.

Today, I was focused on Boss's Day, since it's the soonest.  My husband has three bosses, so that means three gifts.  In past years, I've just baked for them, but it seems everyone is dieting so baking is not an option.  The next logical option?  Mug rugs!

This is my personal favorite so far, still to be bound!

A more manly mug rug...working on binding now

So, I took some random scraps from other projects and put these little bad boys together.  I really liked being creative and not following a set pattern.  I haven't done that much in the ten months in which I've been sewing.  I'd forgotten how much fun being creative can be.  I'm really digging these.  I am definitely making some more, I want one for me!

The first finished product?

Mental note: always make sure to use my walking foot for binding.  The first side I stitched on, I forgot about that cardinal rule and cursed myself for it, but fortunately, there's no way you could tell.  I really love how this one turned out!

Ooooh, pretty.  Must.  Give.  As.  Gift.  Must.  Not.  Keep.  Mental note: make another one for me!

And I've got another project on my sewing desk, too, that's starting to come together: patchwork napkins.  I'm just making some random scraps into some nice napkins, since I'm going to be hosting our family Thanksgiving festivities this year.

I've even worked in some of my current favorite fabric, Moda's Bliss!


I'm linking up with Fabric Tuesday over at QuiltStory - make sure to check them out, I find some great inspiration there!

9 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for the link up ahead of time :) We're actually featuring you today too!! Those mug rugs are a great gift idea for a boss, perfect. Sorry it took us a little long, but we're following now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thank you so much! That is so awesome, you just made my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome! I really like the "Love" one. Hmmm... I think I have some scraps of that line...

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!! They will come in quite handy for the bosses! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind message!

    ReplyDelete
  5. perfect idea!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mug rugs. I hope you will show the napkins when you are finished, they look like fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your mug rugs! Heck I love mug rugs!! Aren't they a great way to spend naptime? We're about to start potty training... wish us luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the name "mug rugs" so cute too. Your napkins will be fun to see as well. On the potty training, I just waited for them to want to do it. I changed a lot of diapers, but I could not handle the transition without their willingness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these. I need to make some so bad! Thanks for linking

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat