Monday, October 18, 2010

Castle Peeps Doll Quilt - done!

Woo hoo, my first homemade Christmas gift is done!

I have officially finished a doll quilt for my six year old niece, made to (sort of) match her twin sized Castle Peeps quilt.  I actually wound up having to rip this quilt apart before it turned into what it is now.  I royally screwed up the sashing and then forgot to take pictures of how shoddy it looked, so you'll just have to take my word for it.  It was seriously, heinously bad.


I also wound up scaling down the size of the quilt considerably.  I had started out using Elizabeth Hartman's Mixtape Quilts pattern, but between recutting the quilt blocks after my sashing disaster and then shrinking the quilt to better match the cradle it will be going with, it's turned into a pretty different quilt.  I like how it turned out, all in all.


My sister told me recently that my aunt happened to be in her area, and got a chance to see the quilts I made for my niece and nephew.  I can't even describe how excited that made me.  My aunt is the person who got me interested in quilting, back when I was a kid and my mom would tell me about how my aunt used to quilt.  She wound up getting carpel tunnel syndrome in both hands, and had to stop sewing, so I wasn't lucky enough to receive one of her quilts, but I heard lots of stories about the quilts she made for people.  My sister mentioned that my aunt was quite impressed with how much I'd learned about quilting already, which made me so happy.  It was so good to hear that she was proud of me.  That meant almost more to me than my niece gushing about how much she loves her quilt.


This is one of my first attempts at straight-line quilting, and it was kind of fun.  Great for a small quilt, but I can't imagine straight-line quilting something big, like a bed-sized quilt.  I did gridlines on this quilt, marking them with various chalk and wash-away fabric markers to make sure they showed up while I was quilting.  I've heard about using painter's tape, I'll have to try that next time around.

I'll be linking up with Fabric Tuesday, over at QuiltStory.  Make sure to check them out, I always spot some great inspiration there!

P.S. - I'm being featured on QuiltStory today!  Have you checked their features out before?  They tell the stories behind quilts, which is something I think is really cool.  I love hearing about how someone was inspired to make a quilt, and more than that, I love to read about what a quilt means to someone.  Good reads!

10 comments:

  1. That is such a cute quilt. I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! It turned out perfectly. Yep, straightline quilting can be quite the task on a large quilt; I love it and love it even more on a small, manageable size quilt... ;)

    What a compliment from your aunt! I would be very exicted too.

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty, pretty, pretty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so cute...i love the quilting that you did and those fabrics are just amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt! I keep thinking I should buy some castle peeps... but I've already got quilts in the making for the two little girls that I know! lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is cute! I found you through your Fabric Tuesday link, and ironically I think I saw your twin size quilt on flickr last night while I was searching for something! Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love quilts of all sorts and sizes. This one is precious.

    I’d like to invite you to a link-up event at my place on November 5th and 6th called, The Airing of the Quilts. I’d be pleased if you could join us, and hope you’ll hop over to my blog and grab the party button so you can help me spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute doll quilt! You did super straight line quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how this little quilt came together too! I have some of this line as well and have been thinking of how/what to put together. I love how you did it! Thanks for linking up :) See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! This is really lovely. I love the colors. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat