Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Fall Quilt Market 2013 Recap

When you go to Quilt Market, you know you're in for a big, memorable experience, and Fall Quilt Market this year was no exception. I saw lots of beautiful quilts and fabrics, loads of fantastic people that I don't get to see anywhere near as often as I'd like, and generally had a blast, in spite of the Texas-sized blister my adorable but apparently heinously uncomfortable shoes gave me. It's always so fun to get to see all the amazingness the quilt world has to offer all in one place, from the fantastic people to the drool-worthy fabrics!

Denyse Schmidt has a new line of solids coming out for Free Spirit, Modern Solids, which are just lovely. I made a quilt for her booth using the new solids, my Sparkling Diamonds quilt, and got a chance to say hello to her during my time in Texas, which was awesome. I'm pretty sure that I was a geeky fangirl, because I adore Deynse's work so much, but she was positively gracious and so nice! Her new Ansonia collection of prints is also quite lovely, especially after seeing it in person.

Denyse Schmidt and me at her booth

Carolyn Friedlander's new collection, Botanics, is going to be the kind of collection that breaks the bank. With over 30 prints in the collection, each one more drool-worthy and stash-necessary than the last, this one is going to be really big when it comes after Thanksgiving. You can even preorder it with Pink Castle Fabrics right now if you want to make sure to get it before it sells out!

Carolyn Friedlander's Botanics collection

Cotton + Steel is going to be an epic new set of collections under RJR Fabrics. Some of my most favorite, talented designers all under the same label? Awesome!

Cotton + Steel's sneak peek boothWith lines like these, Cotton + Steel is going to be very big news!

Vanessa Christensen of V + Co is always so fun to see at Market. She was sporting a skirt made by her official skirt sponsor for Market, Miss Amylouwho, which was so darned cute. Every time I see the skirts Amy makes for Vanessa for Market, it makes me want to make a skirt. Then I remember that garment sewing scares the heck out of me and I back off! Anyway, Vanessa's new line, Color Me Happy, is so bright and fun, and uses the same principles we've seen in her past two lines in a new color scheme, so there's lots of great blenders and bold prints that you'll want to stash here.

Vanessa and her darling sewing machine quilt

Seeing Jen Kingwell's fantastic work in person was also a great thrill. If you haven't seen her patterns before, you simply must check them out. They are positively stunning.

Jen Kingwell's booth

My schoolhouse and signing for Becoming a Confident Quilter went really well, in spite of all my nerves! If you were at either and took photos, please do email them to me, I'd love to see them!!

Me before my book signing

In addition to presenting a Schoolhouse, I also got to attend several Schoolhouses, which was really fun. I think my favorite was for the to-be-released Vintage Quilt Revival by Katie, Lee, and Faith. You really need to make sure you've got this book on preorder! I got to flip through an actual copy, and it's just lovely, I can't wait to have a copy of my own.

Faith, Katie and Lee at their Schoolhouse!

There's more than one new must-have collection of solids coming out soon - Alissa Haight Carlton has a new selection of solids coming out with the In the Beginning Modern Solids group. Having worked with the Modern Solids solids recently for a magazine project, I can tell you firsthand how amazing the hand and drape of them is! Jacquie Gering and Jen Carlton Bailly made fabulous quilts for Alissa's new line, and I just adore Jen's. Jen makes me want to tackle curved piecing and own it the way she does!!

Modern Solids II by Alissa Haight Carlton for In the Beginning - quilt by Alissa
quilt by Alissa
Modern Solids II by Alissa Haight Carlton for In the Beginning - quilt by Jen Carlton Bailly
quilt by Jen
Modern Solids II by Alissa Haight Carlton for In the Beginning - quilt by Jacquie Gering
quilt by Jacquie


And because you can't go to Quilt Market without bringing home some loot, I actually shipped my clothes home and shoved my suitcase full of fabric and books!! Can't wait to get some sewing time to start working with all these pretties :)

Books and Magazines that came home with me from Fall Quilt Market The Fabrics and Notions that came home with me from Fall Quilt Market

For more pictures, pop on over to my Fall Quilt Market Flickr set to see loads more shots of schoolhouses and booths and such. I'm still working on labeling them all, so bear with me, but enjoy! And have a great Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recap! You look like a confident quilter signing books there! :) lol on shipping your clothes back. Although I have to say that Bonnie & Camille's new fabric line is on my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny about shipping your clothes back. But, it was the right thing to do! I'm sure your nerves at Schoolhouse were not apparent to the crowd. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, you confirmed my fears that Botanics is going to break my bank! I was hoping you'd tell me to save my money. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a great Quilt Market. So many beautiful things to see and experience. Thanks for sharing!! I went to one 2 years ago and am itching to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pile of loot will be in my dreams tonight!! Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for a wonderful post! I'm happy to see you there with your book and beautiful quilts! I have done the same with my clothes when I wanted to bring something from my home country! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabric is more important than clothes!!! How funny and how true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures, so much great fabric coming out. Well done on the Schoolhouse, the thought of doing one in Pittsburgh is already stressing me out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful, your quilt is beautiful and I'm sure your schoolhouse was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing all the fun pics. I'm definitely not missing the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Elizabeth for the best recap of the 2013 fall market. It was nice to see a variety instead of the same o' same. Oh, when my daughter travels to her dad's, I sneak in an extra bag in her suit case. She uses that bag as a carry on filled with all the goodies her dad gave her on the flight back home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the pictures. I enjoyed them immensely, but not as much as your comment regarding shipping your clothes home so that you could put fabric in your suitcase! You have great problem-solving skills:). Off to order a copy of your book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat