Monday, October 7, 2013

Less is More Sun Prints Style - finished!

I spent the day last Thursday free motioning my Sun Prints quilt. Making the back was easy. Basting was easy. But when I sat down to quilt, I was positively stumped. Maybe this is one of the reasons I don't make the same pattern twice very often. I didn't want to do straight lines like the original Less is More quilt, from my book - I kind of felt like "been there, done that," like it was a cop-out, which is totally silly, but it's the way I felt. So I tried to envision several different fmq styles, trying to think of an all-over design that would really work...and I just couldn't come up with one I was happy with.

Less is More, Sun Prints style - finished! Detail 1

I took a break and opened up iTunes on my computer, and made a playlist, with some newer tracks I've picked up lately, like Justin Timberlake's new 20/20 Experience Volume 2. I'm enjoying that album a good bit - it reminds me way more of the vibe from his FutureSexLoveSounds album than the first volume did, and it makes for some good quilting music. Music always helps me chill out when I get stuck, so I listened to a couple of songs, trying to clear my head, and then I decided that the panel of patchwork needed to have some different quilting than the negative space, to further set it off, so I got started stippling the negative space. I had thought about doing pebbles for a moment...only a moment before I remembered how much I absolutely despise stitchingthem...

Less is More, Sun Prints style - finished! Front

When I got to the patchwork panel, I started with a large figure 8 in the bottom and top part of the blocks. It's one of my favorite linear fmq styles at the moment. Then, when I got to the center strip of patchwork on the rows of blocks, I decided to just do a little loopy doodle stitch, which was a lot of fun. I like the contrast that these different stitches give the finished quilt.

Less is More, Sun Prints Style - FMQ Detail

This fab quilt is headed to Houston for Quilt Market in my suitcase in a few weeks, but right now it's hanging at Inspire Quilting & Sewing as a sample for my Less is More class, coming up next month. And if you're dying for this pattern, it's in my book, Becoming a Confident Quilter, which you can pick up at local quilt shops, Amazon, and my Pattern Shop as well. Thanks Alison for the gorgeous fabrics, I really loved working with them and can't wait to pick up some more of them! And the lucky winner of the Sun Prints bundle and Color Plus pattern is: #804, Stephanie Blair! Congratulations, Stephanie, I'll be emailing you shortly :)

Less is More, Sun Prints style - finished! Detail 2


Quilt Stats
name: Less is More Sun Prints Style
size: 60" x 70"
pattern: Less is More from Becoming a Confident Quilter
fabrics: Kona Silver and Alison Glass's Sun Prints
quilting: meandering stipple in 50 wt Aurifil in color #2024 (white), figure eights 50 wt Aurifil in color #2024 (white), and loopy doodle stitch 50 wt Aurifil in color #2024 (white)
binding: Kona Pewter

So tell me - do you make the same quilt pattern twice? Or thrice? Or more? Or are you a once is enough kind of quilter, like I am? I'd love to know if I'm the only one who has this little quirk! Have a great day today!

15 comments:

  1. It's delightful! Love your photo shoot. Your quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt :) I am a once is enough quilter too - there are so many other patterns to try so gotta keep moving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make easy patterns more than once :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love those loopy doodles!! The quilting turned out awesome. I am the same, I can't do the same pattern more than once, unless it is my quick and easy go-to one for a gift! I love this pattern!! I'm off to buy the book now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely prefer the "one is enough" philosophy; but have made a super easy pattern multiple times for baby quilts. Your quilt is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this so much! Cannot even express it! Hmmm now I must add it to the future project list. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilts!! Your are super talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend to be one is enough, only because there are far too many awesome quilt designs I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it is an easier crib size pattern and I love it, then I will usually do more than 1.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt love the colours and the quilting. I have made the same quilt in several colours and variations. Some quilts only once as they were not that enjoyable the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the 'once is enough' type because there are so many patterns to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No you aren't the only one. I've only made each quilt once, some I never want to make again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a gorgeous quilt, Elizabeth!! I am usually a once-and-done kind of quilter. However...I have probably made six or seven different versions of the very first pattern I published. And now I want to try it two more times--once in solids and again in low-volume--to see what it looks like with a more modern spin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't made so many quilts by now so I haven't made a pattern twice by now. But when I make an item the second time it sometimes is more fun as I know how it works and you can play around a little. Don't know whether that works for quilts, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat