Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A little patchwork love

Denyse Schmidt is coming out with her very own collection of solid fabrics for Free Spirit Fabrics at Fall Quilt Market this week in Houston, and I'm excited to show you what I made with her beautiful solids for Free Spirit's booth. One of the things I love about Denyse is the way she names things, and these solids are no exception - from dogwood to kumquat and baltic, each solid has a beautiful Denyse-i-fied name to it, and many of the colors are super rich and saturated.

Sparkling Diamonds quilt - FMQ detail 2


I worked up several different designs for the solids, but ultimately Denyse chose a simple patchwork quilt with a mix of squares and half-square triangles. I wanted to make it as scrappy as possible, so rather than sticking with one background color, I used several different neutrals for the "background" pieces.

Sparkling Diamonds quilt in DS Solids

I quilted this quilt with 50 wt Aurifil thread in my trusty shady of white, #2024, in a cursive-inspired kind of loop-de-loop, which was not only quick to stitch, but fun. I like the final effect the stitches give the finished quilt, how they emphasize the linear nature of the piecing, but spice it up at the same time.

Sparkling Diamonds quilt - FMQ detail

I almost love the back as much as the front of the quilt - I used several snippets of the solids from the front mixed with some larger pieces of a light gray, much like a coin quilt. I especially love the way the quilting looks on the back.

Sparkling Diamonds quilt - backing detail

Quilt Stats
name: Sparkling Diamonds
size: 60" x 72"
fabrics: Denyse Schmidt solids for Free Spirit, coming soon
quilting: loop de loop in white (#2024) 50 wt Aurifil
binding: Denyse Schmidt solids in Mist, mixed with snippets of other DS solids

I'm also entering this in the Bloggers Quilt Festival hosted by Amy's Creative Side. Go check out all the other fabulous quilts on display!

A pattern is available for this pattern right here, thanks to Free Spirit! Speaking of which, I'm heading off to Houston tomorrow for Quilt Market myself. Guess that means I should start packing today! If you're going, I'll be doing a Schoolhouse on Friday at 3:40 p.m. about my book, sharing all the quilts, and a book signing at the Martingale booth on Sunday at 10:00 a.m., so please come say hello! Have a great rest of your week :)

27 comments:

  1. beautiful! have fun at Quilt Market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and the colours sing together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The solid fabric colors just bring out this wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilt! I really love that deep blue color. Have fun at Quilt Market!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a scrappy hst quilt on my mind so really like this alot! Have fun at market - shouldn't be too hard! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Denyse on her new line with Free Spirit. The quilt looks amazing and I really love the quilting. Very simple and it looks really nice on the quilt. Love the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This quilt is beautiful. I can't wait until the DS solids are available.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm usually not a solids girl but this is pretty darn awesome! I love the way the neutrals create the diamonds but you only kind of see them. Really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quilt is so beautiful!
    it does sparkle! Like a real gem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is gorgeous :) I'm volunteering at MArket on Monday so I will have to see this in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love this one! Congrats on another beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great time at Quilt Market.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning quilt. Wish I could attend your schoolhouse--have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! This turned out fantastic. I love solids and have many fat quarters, but am almost paralyzed trying to figure out how to use them. This might give me the courage to use them. Will there be a pattern coming?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's fantastic! You are quite accomplished! And I love the cursive quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out great!! Love its scrappy feel and that long 'cursive' quilting...

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful! All of her colors together in one place must make Denyse super happy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yup, this is awesome. The colors are great and the way you have them mixing and mingling is what makes the magic happen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love this quilt and love the loop de loop - as my name starts with le I might just be able to achieve this quilting - having practiced writing it many times !! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your Only-Solids-Quilt! The colours are great and the design is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Why am I just now seeing this? urgh...It is absolutely gorgeous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat