Friday, August 23, 2013

My sewing space: some questions and answers

I got several really great questions earlier this week when I shared about my new sewing space - so here come some answers on this Friday morning!

Q: What's the underside of the table look like?
A: Like this (see below)...the machine sits on a piece of wood that's about three inches (give or take) lower than the table top, and the front and right and left sides of the machine are enclosed. The back side of the machine is open, to feed the cords in and to provide ventilation to the machine. Initially, all we started with was a birch table top from Ikea, but the handyman who built the table bought several additional pieces of wood from the lumber store to build the legs, the frame, and the surface the machine sits on.

The underside of my sewing table

Q: Just wondering about your sewing chair - do you like it and where did you find it?
A: My sewing chair is from Ikea and I put it together with my own two hands, which I'm fond of. It's called Vilgot, and it was really quite simple to put together, which was a pleasant surprise! I used to have a chair with arms, and I hated it, so I really wanted something armless. This chair definitely fits the bill.

My chair - an Ikea Vilgot

Q: Isn't your bobbin side-loading? How do you change your bobbin?
A: It is self-loading. The notch in the side makes it easier to grab, but if I have a tough time, there's enough wiggle room that I can lift the machine slightly to grab the bobbin door. Once the bobbin cover is open, it's smooth sailing - there's plenty of room for me to get my hand in there to change out the bobbin and to clean it out as well.

Opening the bobbin compartment

Q: How do you like your Juki for free motion quilting?
A: Love it! It definitely took some adjusting to get it just right for FMQ, which is typical for any machine, but now that I've tweaked it, it works beautifully for free-motioning. I haven't gotten to free-motion yet with my new table setup, but I hope to soon!

How is it Friday already? This week has absolutely sped past. I hope you have a great day and a fun weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the answers to the first post. I love your table. I also enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question - I'm looking to buy a new machine for FMQ (my current machine is a Viking Quilt Designer II) and I'm struggling between 2 Juki machines. The first is the quilting machine: Juki TL-2010Q, which is similar to your machine, right? The 2nd is the industrial machine, Juki DDL-5550N which has the advantage of a deeper throat but disadvantage of not being portable. I still have my Viking, a really old Kenmore (my first machine!) and a Janome that I can haul around so I'm not sure the portability is that big a deal, but I just can't seem to decide!

    How does your Juki compare to your Viking in terms of throat space? Did you consider the industrial machine at any point? Advice from someone who owns the quilting version would be amazing since I've been hemming/hawing over this for 2 weeks. :/

    My main focus for the machine would be piecing but I also want to venture more into bag making and I know the industrial has a slightly higher lift on the presser foot, that combined with the throat space has *almost* sold me.

    Thanks!! - Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I'm sitting on that identical chair right now :oD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary B here: I really like your new sewing room -- er- office :-) I noticed it is right next to the kitchen. This is a good thing. Every day we are sewing cooking or cleaning. right? and sometimes we are doing all three at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow I want that table! Brilliant! the shelves too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your new sewing table. Would it work to take a file and make a tiny indentation where the bobbin cover is?

    Your new space is great, I love the new book cases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for giving us more details about the sewing table. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat