Thursday, August 1, 2013

August Lucky Stars Block of the Month: Pinwheel Star

Happy August to you! Being the first of the month, all Lucky Stars Block of the Month subscribers should have a new block email in their inbox. If you did not receive it, please feel free to email me so we can find it! And as always, if you aren't already a Lucky Stars subscriber, you can join at any time, and you'll still receive all of the club blocks, even those from months past.

August Lucky Stars Block of the Month: Pinwheel Star


This month's block is the Pinwheel Star, and I really love the depth it has. I think part of the depth comes from the piecing, but the other part comes from the warm/cool contrast of the fabrics in the center star and then the frame that surrounds the star. I used one of my all-time favorite fabrics for the background, Violet Craft's Memoir print from Madrona Road, which makes me love this block even more.

All nine Lucky Stars so far all together

I cannot believe it's August already! School is starting in just a few weeks here in my neck of the woods, and while it may continue to feel like summer for the next several months here in Florida, it's clear that summer is evaporating. School supplies are flying off the shelves at Target and the like, and at at my house, we've got a countdown going to the first day of kindergarten at our house. While the kiddo's been to preschool for the last two years, this first day of school sure does feel like a bigger deal than the others have been. I suspect there may tears, but on my part, not his! Do you have any great first-day-of-school traditions in your house?

Gearing up for kindergarten

11 comments:

  1. This months block is beautiful...I agree that text for the background is perfection

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take myself to breakfast after the kids get on the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First day tradition when I was a kid...a picture of my sister and I at a certain spot outside our home. Whenever we come across one of the undated pics in a box of photos, we can tell that it was a first day of school pic by the season and the location!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I bawled uncontrollably (after I was in the car) when I dropped my first off at his first day of kindergarten, even though I told everyone I "wasn't one of those moms" HA! It's a big day! With my 2nd, I only shed a few tears, but yes, it's a pretty big deal... I've taken a first day of school picture each year with my boys, and it's fun to look back now at them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this star. I agree, one of my fav prints of all time is the white text from Madrona Road too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this star, gorgeous. First day of school is a big deal, such a big milestone, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colour play in this block :o) Does it sound mean to say I can't wait for school to go back here so I'm not tormented with shrieking children outside my window til 10 pm every night o.O

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful star ~ you've done another great star!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Elizabeth,
    we do have a neat first day of school tradition. I used to take a photo on our front lawn, of my son on the first day. He would be holding a hand-written sign, saying "first day of school'. I did this every year of elementary school, and we now have a photographic record of this. it is great because the son is now going into Grade 10 and would never submit to this !!!
    Love your blog!
    Jacqueline VH

    ReplyDelete
  10. No tradition, but we tend to be early on the first day of school and later every morning for the rest of the year lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat