Monday, August 19, 2013

My new sewing space revealed!

After the big move last month, my sewing space was relegated to the last spot on my To Do list as I found homes for towels and coffee mugs and the like. We did a lot of purging with the move, so I had less stuff to unpack and put away, but it still took me a long time to start tackling my sewing space. I'm super excited to say that I officially finished getting it all set up over the weekend, and spent some time photographing the whole thing, because goodness knows it will probably never again be this tidy and organized!!

Love the natural light and the view!

Let's start with the sewing table, shall we? Quite possibly my favorite piece in the room, I finally have a drop-in table. Back it up to last year when I replaced some of my sewing furniture with some Ikea pieces, my husband planned to cut into my solid birch table top and do a DIY sewing table. Never happened. We talked of it, pretty regularly, but it never actually happened. When we moved, I was pretty firm about it, that it was time for it to happen, and after spending a day or two figuring out how to do it, he decided to hire someone to do it for him. I am so thankful he did! I love my new table, which uses my old Ikea birch table top with a whole bunch of extra wood.

My new sewing supercenter in the center of my studio

The cut out is totally custom, meticulously traced by my dear husband from the foot print of my sewing machine. The machine sits on a supported wood frame under the desk, with a front facing piece to keep it pretty that has a hole in just the right spot for my knee lift. We made sure to add some extra wiggle room right where the cords come up for the machine, so none f the cords get bent out of shape. I painted the table legs white, and I might paint the rest of the wood at some point as well, just not right this moment. 

Smooth sewing ahead!

I've kept the drawer bases that I used to use to hold up my sewing machine table - I need the storage! I put one under my new sewing table and the other under my cutting table. I've got my sewing necessities in the one under my sewing machine table, like my needles and thread and sewing machine feet. And because the sewing table is taller than it used to be, I've got room to house my laptop on top.

Thread, thread, and more thread!

My cutting table now backs up to my sewing table, and their heights match perfectly, so it's like I have one big table in the center of my space, which I really like. It's the same table I've been using for cutting for quite a while.

Cutting storage cup from Target

It's my dad's old desk. I have a lot of memories of my dad working at this desk, so it means a lot to me that I'm able to use it in my space. I have it sitting on 2 x 4's to raise it to an ergonomic height for cutting, which isn't the most attractive thing in the world, but it works. I've added some 3M Command hooks to the sides of the desk as well as the wall near my cutting table for my cutting rulers, which is working out really nicely so far.

Command hooks for easy ruler hanging

I replaced my old Target bookshelves with Ikea Billy bookshelves, with doors, and I really love the finished look. I love how tall they are, and how much more I can fit in them as a result. I've got my fabric all unpacked and situated, in color order of course, with the half-yards and larger on the comic book backing boards, and the precuts and yardage that needs to be put away on the lower shelves on the second bookcase. The third bookcase houses some samples from my classes, important mementos, and supplies.

My new Billy bookcases

My scraps and fat quarters now live together in larger bins that I stack up along the wall where my design wall is. I'm mostly using fat quarters these days the way that I use scraps, so this works well for me. I've got so many darned blue scraps and fat quarters that I had to separate my light and blue scraps and fat quarters into two separate bins.

Scrap and Fat Quarter Storage

While I desperately need to clean off all the random threads from my design wall, I'm just happy it's up and staying that way at the moment. Our first mounting solution, 3M Command hooks, didn't work out and the darned thing randomly fell down a week or so ago. Now, there's a more permanent solution, with plastic hangers that are nailed to the ceiling, and it's holding steady so far.
Design wall paired with my handy dandy bulletin board and a few favorite minis - top one made by Lee/Freshly Pieced, bottom one by me

I love all the light in my new sewing space, and I'm excited to start making a big fat mess in it this week, with school starting today! I cannot believe that my little boy is heading off to kindergarten today. I better pack some tissues in my purse right now before I forget, as I suspect there's no way I'll leave the school with dry eyes. Have a great Monday!

50 comments:

  1. Very fun space! Love that you have windows! I have a nice sewing room but I am a cellar dweller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! So happy you have such a happy space :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a dream! I especially love the Billy bookshelves (we have some, but for books!) and that birch wood is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous and exciting space! I love a freshly-organized stash, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing and so organised. Are you coming to sort mine out next?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Congrats on the new house and sewing space!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently did the same thing for my Juki! (or I should say had someone do it for me) I love it, so much easier to quilt with a smooth level surface. And I have the same 2x4's raising my cutting table! Whatever works to make things easier. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bright and lovely space! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your space! I have my fabric corralled in plastic bins all over the house. I'd love to have it on shelves in my sewing area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth, it looks great. Now get in there and create!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your quilt studio (I love that name for a quilt room.) :-))) One question, how do you change the bobbin in your Juki? I love my Juki but use it on top of the table (with the plastic table surrounding it.)

    You sure have set up an awesome space to sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all those windows! What a great place to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! It looks like a great space to work! I think you're going to love having your machine with a flat surface. How big is the room? Looks like you've made good use of the space!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart went pitty pat with all that loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Классная мастерская! Ткани - мечта.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh it looks lovely - happy sewing in your lovely new room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yikes you have a lot of fabric Betsy! Your room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hooray! Looks like you already. :) I'm fairly in awe of your thread collection! I keep one in my machine, and maybe have one or two backups. I guess I like living on the edge.

    Hope R had a great day today! Did you enjoy getting back to a normal routine?

    ReplyDelete
  19. So jealous of your sewing room, especially all that fabric! Would you mind posting a picture of. The underside of table to show how your machine is mounted. I would love for my husband to do this to mind too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can try - the mount that my machine sits on has a facing around three sides of it, so it's pretty well covered, but I'll try to take a photo from the back side, which is the open side, hopefully that will help!

      Delete
  20. Your new studio is just beautiful. Very inspiring. Lucky you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your space is gorgeous!!! Your stash....droolworthy! LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I'm new to your blog but love your new sewing space. Just wondering about your sewing chair? Do you like it and where did you find it? I'm trying to find a chair that goes high enough to give me good position for FMQ on my domestic machine.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! I love how beautiful and organized your fabric is. And here I thought my little stash was getting too big. Now I know I have a long way to go before I have 'enough'!

    ReplyDelete
  24. yes, could you please post a pic of the underside of the table? I'm so jealous of your work space. it's a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will try - but it will be hard to get a good photograph, since three of the four sides of the mount where the machine sits are fully covered with wood. I'll be sure to post the picture here on the blog when I take it tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! I'm still drooling over your sewing room. I bet you never want to leave it!

      Delete
  25. I'm curious about your design wall - you said you used "plastic hangers that are nailed to the ceiling"... what sort of plastic hangers - and how far apart are they? I'm in the process of having my own sewing room remodelled and the design wall ideas are still confusing me. I found your site searching for design wall options. TIA! MaryC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My design wall is a Fons & Porter design wall with large metal grommets at the top for hanging purposes. The plastic hangers are literally that - L shaped pieced of plastic that are nailed to the ceiling in my sewing space, looped through the grommets to hold up my design wall. I hope that helps clarify!

      Delete
  26. Your sewing room looks fantastic! I might be a little (extremely) jealous :)
    I noticed that you have a Juki sewing machine. I was thinking of getting one myself - do you find it easy to do quilting? I have a little sewing machine at the moment and struggle even to quilt a mini quilt with it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! What a wonderful Sewing Room. It looks enormous. Makes the small bedroom I use look sad. I have been wanting for years to replace the desk I use as a sewing table so that I have more room to the left of my machine to hold the quilt whilst I am sewing. Haven't sorted that out yet. You have inspired me to get measuring and looking at ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your birch sewing table is so pretty! I have been wanting my hubby to place my machine down in my table too...maybe some day. I also adore your new IKEA shelves for fabric storage. They really are so much nicer than my Target shelves. Such a beautiful finished look. I might have to check into those.
    Thanks for sharing and congrats on your beautiful new space.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  29. As I was drooling over your sewing space, I came to the kindergarten note. I remembered expecting a teary parting the first day of nursery school. Instead, daughter's eyes brightened, she took one look shouted, "Toys!" She ran in and never looked back. Most of my tears were from laughing so hard at her.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My little girl is heading to kindergarten too. KInda scared and happy at the same time. I love how your husband hired someone to customize your table...the little projects always take the longest to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your new space. I just got my own sewing spaces as well and a new machine. Really makes a difference. Love your table cut out. That is a brilliant idea. And IKEA really is the best for supplies:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks great. I love that you have a library of fabric to ogle while you sew.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks great Elizabeth, congratulations to you all on your new home and to you, your new sewing space. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love it!!! I've just started putting my room together tonight. With a trip to IKEA of course! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I need to take a spool of Aurifil with me to shop for a drawer stack, too. What a great idea. And I love the modifications to a favorite tabletop and that your Dad's desk remains a part of your future creating! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your space is so beautiful. If you don't mind, could you share the room dimensions? It is hard to tell from the pictures, but I'd love to know how much space it takes to create a similar set up. Thanks for all your inspiring ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am so envious of your space! It is awesome :)

    Hilary
    www.youngtexanmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my... I need to get something to mop the drool up from my laptop! What an incredibly inspirational space!! Thank you so much for sharing your organizational tips. Might I inquire as to where one might find comic book backing boards and approximately how much you'd pay for such a thing? I love, love, love your new sewing table. Thank you for posting pics of the underside! I'm going to add something very similar to my wish list for my craft room. (My husband will be thrilled, I'm sure! lol) Again, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. It looks fantastic! You've some up with some really clever organizing ideas, too - great work. Happy sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ahhhhh Bliss!!

    what a perfectly created room... i missed your ironing space...it's tucked in there somewhere...i know it is, but i can't see it....

    i keep looking for ideas....

    xoxo
    eva

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat